PDA

View Full Version : hot start

exrider23
12-09-2006, 10:40 PM
ive herad people talk about the hot start. what exactly is it?

GPracer2500
12-09-2006, 11:16 PM
A hotstart is a device that aids in starting a hot engine. It's kind of the opposite of a choke. A choke cuts off air to the engine creating a rich mixture (or in the case of an enrichner, adds extra fuel) to help a cold engine start. A hotstart adds extra fresh air creating a leaner mixture that helps a hot engine start. They are generally only found on kick-start four strokes.

Most hotstart devices are built directly into the carburator. It's usually a knob on the carb body similar to a choke knob or a lever on the bars that's connected to a cable that runs down to the carb. The 1998 YZ400F is the first production machine that I know of that came with a hotstart device from the factory. It wasn't directly part of the carb though. It was a seperate little valve mechanism attached to the air boot between the air filter and the carburetor. It let air through a small hose that bypassed the carb and fed the engine an extra shot of air.

Kaleigh
12-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
A hotstart is a device that aids in starting a hot engine. It's kind of the opposite of a choke. A choke cuts off air to the engine creating a rich mixture (or in the case of an enrichner, adds extra fuel) to help a cold engine start. A hotstart adds extra fresh air creating a leaner mixture that helps a hot engine start. They are generally only found on kick-start four strokes.

Most hotstart devices are built directly into the carburator. It's usually a knob on the carb body similar to a choke knob or a lever on the bars that's connected to a cable that runs down to the carb. The 1998 YZ400F is the first production machine that I know of that came with a hotstart device from the factory. It wasn't directly part of the carb though. It was a seperate little valve mechanism attached to the air boot between the air filter and the carburetor. It let air through a small hose that bypassed the carb and fed the engine an extra shot of air.

finally i know what it is.. i asked people before.. but they just say.. i dont know what it does but it helps me start when the engine is hot.. i just left it at that.. lol..

exrider23
12-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the reply's.