PDA

View Full Version : Racing Fuel?

450R22
12-09-2006, 07:35 PM
I think this has been discussed before, but here's my question:
What racing fuels are out there that are safe to run in a stock motor? i have heard that running too much octane will hurt performance: looking for good performance, and a good
"racing fuel smell"

JW450R1
12-10-2006, 04:01 AM
with a stock motor your really waisting your money.when i got my 450r i had some 110 sunoco left over from my ex,and i started to mix it like 50/50 and it really didn't run very good at all.i think it was too much compression ratio for the stocker motor.

CHEVYZ
12-10-2006, 07:36 AM
I am sure there probably are some that you could run in your bike, but it is a waste of money. Pretty much none of them help you out any in performance...in fact, I noticed my 06 ran worse when I ran Sunoco racing fuel in it from the 400EX. The only thing I could say that may not be much of a problem from experience is Klotz, but even so, I really didn't notice a difference.

FHKracingZ
12-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I believe its been proving that due to the high detonation of high octane gas you can lose a lil power with a stock compression engine.

stocktires
12-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Race gas is MUCH cleaner, which will definatley help on valve life, keeping the top-end clean, and your oil clean from contaminants. Which is why I'll be running some C10 when my quad is done.
Race gas in a stock motor will be a little harder to ignite, that's the only draw back.

buck naked-r
12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
YOU WILL lose power running high octane on a piston lower than 12.5 compression and it will affect your jetting as well making the bike not run very good......causes a rich condition.

450R22
12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
What about VP Racing Fuels? (MR9-MR10)
Has anyone experimented with these? I don't know about the price, but I'am sure they are not cheap.
Thanks for the replies regarding pump gas.

wolffie
12-10-2006, 05:38 PM
talked to a guy in a race shop about them. i cant remember the specific type he used but he said with any of the VP fuels you usually have to go up to 2 sizes on the main because of the additional oxygen in the fuel.

most likely his quad had a higher compression piston in it though.

CHEVYZ
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I have run C-12 as well, same story.

DJJ450r
12-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I ran Race gas in my stock motor everyonce in a while and it didn't affect it at all in performance, but I think it runs cooler with race gas.

buck naked-r
12-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 450R22
What about VP Racing Fuels? (MR9-MR10)

these fuel will gain a power gain,but they have to be drained from the tank after every ride.

and they are $$$$$$$$...both are over $100 for 5-gallons

MR-8
MR-9
MR-XO1
MR-10
U-4
ARE ALL POWER ADDING FUELS......[OXY FUEL]

450R22
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
thanks for all the imput!
for that kinda money it sounds like 91-93 pump gas will work just fine.

Unsafe6
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Stick with pump gas, the higher octane the fuel the slower it burns thus any more octane than you need will decrease performance.

ghott
12-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Unsafe6
Stick with pump gas, the higher octane the fuel the slower it burns thus any more octane than you need will decrease performance.

I don't think this is correct.

I believe any "extra" octane rating will just be increased detonation resistance.

GPRacer is the FUEL GURU. Hopefully he'll stop by shortly.

GPracer2500
12-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Burn rates and octane rating are independent. The idea that fuels with high octane ratings burn slower or are somehow harder to burn is a myth. Also, octane rating in and of itself has nothing to do with how much power an engine will produce. The idea that an engine will run best and make the most power with the minimum octane that it requires is also a myth. Extra octane may not be needed but excess octane in and of iself has no bearing on a fuel's ability to produce power.

OCTANE RATING IS A MEASURE OF ONLY ONE THING-------->DETONATION RESISTANCE. It is a mistake to try and read anymore into that fuel specification. That's the crux of it all. Folks try and pin all of a fuels good and bad on octane rating and try and distinguish one fuel from another based only on octane rating. This is a mistake.

Remember that "detonation" is not the normal combustion that happens inside our engines. A different kind of combustion called deflagration is the normal, good type of combustion. Detonation = explosion = bad. Deflagration = burn = good. Burning and exploding are not the same thing. We want ZERO detonation taking place in our engines.

Octane rating in and of itself has no bearing on how a fuel deflagrates (i.e. burns). Octane rating is only an indicator of how much heat and pressure the fuel can withstand before deflagration (burn) can't be completed and some of the air/fuel mixture detonates (explodes) instead.

It seems to me that it's a misunderstanding of these ideas that propogates this idea about high octane fuel being harder to burn or slower to burn. High octane fuel is harder to explode but it is not harder to burn. And an engine that is running normally is NOT exploding the fuel--it's burning it. Octane rating says nothing about how a fuel burns and burning fuel is where our power comes from.

What most poeple fail to realize is that there are a whole slew of other fuel specifications that dictate how a fuel deflagrates (burns). It's the characteristics of deflagration that determines power output, good running, poor running, or whatever. Two different fuels could have identical octane ratings and yet have completely different make-ups that result in varied performance in some particular engine.

You might try a high octane fuel in your engine and find it didn't seem to perform as well. But did you jet correctly for the new fuel? Most racing fuels have lower specific gravities than most pump fuels. That means you'll be lean if you don't richen your jetting to compensate. And what where the other specifications of the high octane fuel?

If you lost performance than the fuel's resistance to the abnormal combustion phenomenon called detonation (aka octane rating) had nothing to do with it. Something else did.

Don't be a part of the cycle of misinformation about octane ratings and fuel!

trost66
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. Just kidding nice post

bassmasterslay
12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
you can buy race gas that is 92 octane, dont remember the brand off the top of my head though. but, its expesive as hell.

ghott
12-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by bassmasterslay
you can buy race gas that is 92 octane, dont remember the brand off the top of my head though. but, its expesive as hell.

I believe you might be reffering to VP Racing U4 oxygenated fuel. I believe it has an octane rating of 92, but it is a power adder fuel. It has a certain % of oxygen within the fuel, which I think will add around 1-2hp. It is very expensive, and I believe there are reports that it leaves nasty deposits in the exhaust ports. You also have to drain the fuel out of your carburetor after every ride, or it will GUM UP within it.

stocktires
12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by ghott
I believe you might be reffering to VP Racing U4 oxygenated fuel. I believe it has an octane rating of 92, but it is a power adder fuel. It has a certain % of oxygen within the fuel, which I think will add around 1-2hp. It is very expensive, and I believe there are reports that it leaves nasty deposits in the exhaust ports. You also have to drain the fuel out of your carburetor after every ride, or it will GUM UP within it.

I think VP bumped up the octane rating of their U4, or either offer a higher octane U4 now.

ghott
12-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Just checked the site.

U4 oxygenated is 92 motor octane.

U4e oxygenated is 93 motor octane.

They also have higher octane oxygenated fuels such as MR8, MR9, MR10, and MRX01.

450R22
12-13-2006, 04:30 AM
holy **** you know way too much about fuel! Just kidding.
thanks for the reply, it is nice too see someone who understands the technical end of things.

blakefoote
12-13-2006, 05:14 AM
yah...with stockide juss run 93 or 92 and when you get your motor a little hopped up you can start runnin 110 or so....

stocktires
12-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by ghott
Just checked the site.

U4 oxygenated is 92 motor octane.

U4e oxygenated is 93 motor octane.

They also have higher octane oxygenated fuels such as MR8, MR9, MR10, and MRX01.

I could have bet my life on u4 being bumped up. I'm glad I didn't. Maybe the info on the site is old, or maybe I'm just wrong again.

ghott
12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
I could have bet my life on u4 being bumped up. I'm glad I didn't. Maybe the info on the site is old, or maybe I'm just wrong again.

It could be that the info was old, but it came directly off VP's site. If you plan on purchasing some soon, I would recommend calling up one of VP's rep's to get the info...just to be sure.