PDA

View Full Version : lowend cam for 06 450er

mustangflyboy
12-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Can you put a cam in an 06 450er to get more low end torque, like right of of idle. Doesn't the design of the cam determine for the most part how the engine performs?
I loved how my old 400ex could just lug along going on tight stuff and climbing through the mountains. But I ride dunes most of the time so I love the power of the 450 for that. The throttle on these 450r's are so touchy right off of idle.
Is there anyway to adjust how the throttle responds? Maybe the cam is just the answer. What about a HotCam stg.1

lumi
12-09-2006, 06:49 PM
get a hrc cam, the low to mid is awesome and thew high is pretty good too... and than get a a low end pipe like a hmf, a torque pipe.... but the cam alone will make it great..... or hrc kit no lid and hmf slip on... thats like 500$ with awesome power gain everywhere and awesome sound... the lugging will be no more... stab the throttle and off u go.

-lumi

Dave400ex
12-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I put a Baldwin XC cam in mine and it made a huge difference. It allows me to lug it much more when I'm in the woods, but also felt like it added good power all around. That with my full HMF and UNI filter with no lid on makes the thing run great.

CHEVYZ
12-10-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree on the HRC cam. It is an excellent bottom to mid cam, and it helps on top, too. The increase all around with it was just incredible. It lugs around much better now. Another complement for bottom end would be a gearing change.

I am not for Hotcams at all. Performance they are decent, but quality wise is not the same. I was not impressed with the Hotcams that I installed in either my 450r or my 400EX.

mustangflyboy
12-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys, I thought the HRC was a racing cam and was a top end cam. But now I know different.

ryann mx68
12-10-2006, 11:49 AM
the 02 crf450 cam is a great bottom to mid cam. alot of xc guys use this cam. also the baldwin xc cam is very close to this in profile

mustangflyboy
12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I put a Baldwin XC cam in mine and it made a huge difference. It allows me to lug it much more when I'm in the woods, but also felt like it added good power all around. That with my full HMF and UNI filter with no lid on makes the thing run great.

did you drop a tooth as well for woods riding?
Did the xc cam allow you to go slow over/around obstacles without burnig up the clutch. I don't like the rattling noise it makes right before it stalls. I'm trying to get it to operate a little closer to how my 400ex does, just in the slow tight stuff.
I would keep for 400 for this but it is going to my neice
Most of my riding is at the dunes. 1st gear is geared too high. IMO I for sure will drop at least one tooth on front.

trx400exxracer
12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
my brother is currently rebuilding his 2006 450er and he is putting a hrc kit in it and also has a 12 tooth sprocket on it and that also helps.

But once he gets his rebuilt and all my parts in for my 2006 450er we will let you know how they differ from each other!!

i am also fixing to put a 12 tooth on mine and I will have to see how it all works out!!!:D

Dave400ex
12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I didn't drop a tooth, with the pipe and cam I feel like it has plenty of bottom end. I use the clutch a lot when I ride, it's just my riding style, but I didn't have any problems with the clutch. I'll be putting the same setup on my '07 kicker here in a week or so. I got tired of my electric start. I'm loving the kicker so far. No worries of starting issues, worst thing would be a tired leg, but it starts great.
I put the cam in for a lot of the same reason you are saying. I was so used to my 416 with the TC XC cam that the 450 just felt entirely different power wise. Putting a pipe on helped some, but the Baldwin cam has made it much easier for me to ride, with more power everywhere.

mustangflyboy
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
awesome!! Thanks for the good feedback I 'll definately try the XRcam and fmf pipe. I think I 'll drop some teeth as well cause it just seems to roll too quick for me in 1st even at idle. I don't like to ride the clutch much.
My mom used to tell me i was "picky" :)
Thanks again

Dave400ex
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Don't get confused on the cam and pipe. It's a Baldwin XC cam and HMF pipe. The XR cam you are talking about is for a 400ex and fmf is a different brand of exhaust.

mustangflyboy
12-10-2006, 05:18 PM
ha ha, I did notice the cam mix up a minute ago but I didn't notice the pipe thanks, I've been reading for like 6 hours today, crazy huh?

trx400exxracer
12-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by mustangflyboy
ha ha, I did notice the cam mix up a minute ago but I didn't notice the pipe thanks, I've been reading for like 6 hours today, crazy huh?

which hmf are you getting the round or eliptical I have the eliptical slip-on and love it. it has more of a deeper tone over the round. Call Santo at DeRisi racing for the best price on a hmf!!!

www.derisiracing.com

mustangflyboy
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I dunno , haven't even checked'em out yet, but thanks for the info. Does one perform different than the other?

trx400exxracer
12-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by mustangflyboy
I dunno , haven't even checked'em out yet, but thanks for the info. Does one perform different than the other?

Nope they are the same except for looks and tone in sound!!

The round is round and has a pretty good tone to it!

The eliptical is more of an oval shape and has a deeper tone to it!!

I went with the eliptical cause it sounds better to me imo!!! But there is no difference in cost!!!