PDA

View Full Version : will new springs help any

kxrider
09-16-2002, 07:50 PM
if i could find new stiffer spriings on the front of my 250ex would it help any cause they bottom out alot

Ben
09-17-2002, 05:35 AM
It would really be beneficial for you if you went ahead and bought all new shocks with longer travel. I think you would be very happy with a good front shock of a late model Banshee on the rear of your 250ex and then some new (or even used if you can find them) Works shocks for the front of your 250ex. For your purposes I believe Dual Rate Works w/out rezzies would be perfect. Your total invest on this front and rear shock setup would be well under $400 if you shopped around and give you the extra travel you want, not to mention a MUCH nicer ride on the trails. Let us know what you decide to do. :)

kxrider
09-17-2002, 02:30 PM
yeah i've looked around for cheap front susupension, and the cheapest i found is 400$ without rezzies, so i was just trying to find a cheaper alternative cause 400$ is alot of money since i just lost my job, do you know if they even make new springs for a 250ex, or if i could put like 400ex springs on it so they would be pushed down and be stiffer,????

JabberJaw
09-17-2002, 03:15 PM
I often wondered myself if there was a cheap alternative to buying new shocks. I wonder if anyone has ever purchased gas shocks for a car and mounted them on thier quad..

kxrider
09-17-2002, 03:56 PM
i doubt that they are not made to take that kind of beating

Ben
09-17-2002, 04:04 PM
hehe jabber. I did have a friend who put atv mud tires on the front of his 1988 front-wheel drive Honda Accord and took it mudding with us a couple times. He even custom fabricated a baja style front bumper for it. :eek: You would be surprised how far an 88 Accord with front mud tires, 225,000 miles, and an intoxicated redneck driver gets in the mudholes. :eek: :eek: He finally blew the engine up in a serious mudhole. We let her lay to rest there. :D

Anyway, sorry to rample - I do not know which springs will fit on a 250ex, as it does not appear to be a very frequent conversion. I'll look into it and see what I can dig up. I believe that 400ex springs would seem to be completely out of the question though - they would be incredibly stiff.

TRX_Thumper
09-17-2002, 06:08 PM
300ex springs would be good for the front...they arent much longer....400's would never work

kxrider
09-17-2002, 07:29 PM
has anyone heard of anyone doin this, or if it will work for sure

trueblue450
09-17-2002, 07:45 PM
If your shock is too stiff it will bend the shaft.. SO if you want to put some really stiff springs on it go ahead. I would just run the piss outta those shocks until you can buy some cheap works. even single rates will be better than stockers.