PDA

View Full Version : compression, fuel, spark...still won't run??

250X_project
12-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a 80cc 4stroke Honda here(XR80). It has 150PSI, a healthy blue spark, and you can smell the fuel(also on plug). It won't even fire. I adjusted the valves that were tight as can be to get back the compression, I thought that was it, but still nothing. While doing this I realised only that the cam chain was just a bit loose. The manual adjuster is as tight as possible. Can this change the timing just enough? At TDC the valves have play, so timing seems to be right on. Where should I go from here?

I choke it, I don't choke, I try to pop start...doesn't matter- nothing makes it fire.

Additional info... Valves are at .003, made in 2000, doesn't SEEM to have much carbon build-up, oil is pretty black and gassy, air filter element is missing, Cam looks great well oiled top. ask me any questions you have please.

Thanks!

Kickstarts-suck
12-09-2006, 03:32 PM
timing

250X_project
12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks kickstart. It's funny that you were first to reply, I thought of your X when I was making this. Timing is the only problem I can come up with. Does anyone know if the chain can do this is exesivly worn? Thanks!

Kickstarts-suck
12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by 250X_project
Thanks kickstart. It's funny that you were first to reply, I thought of your X when I was making this. Timing is the only problem I can come up with. Does anyone know if the chain can do this is exesivly worn? Thanks!

yep that what was up with mine everything was good but timing was off just enough to make it not crank

i would go ahead and buy a new timing chain and when you put the chain tensioner on turn it over a few times and check the timing again

that what my problem was is the tensioner pulled the cam back a little

2muchquad
12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
It would have had to jump time a lot for it to not run.I would be willing to be that you have a sheared flywheel key;)

250X_project
12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Kickstart- Thanks again. Was there a problem with the tensioner, that did this or was the cam itself off? That's a bummer. You get the X back? I appreciate the help!

2muchquad- I never thought of that, but should have since he did have that apart to replace the stator and side cover...I'll give that a look next time I can. I forgot about that. It was funny because at the time I was have loads of trouble finding the right flywheel puller for my wheeler, and that flywheel practically fell off for him....:rolleyes: I did that once to a mower, when I hit a stump :D Thanks!