PDA

View Full Version : cr 250 ignition install

707trx250r
12-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I got my cr 250 ignition and was wondering how to install it. Esr didn't include any instructions. I know the big clip goes to the cdi. Then the two wires are for a kill switch. Then it has one conector for the coil. But where does the other wire that comes to the coil go? It is green and has a copper flat with a hole connector. Also how do you mount the coil?

Some pics would be great

JxxxOxxxE
12-09-2006, 01:07 PM
green from the coil with a round end on it should be a ground...anf the other wire from the coil should run to the CDI box...

matt250r21
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I mounted the green wire on the coil with a thru bolt on to the stock coil mount of the frame. I drilled the frame tab so the bolt would go thru and used a nut under it. This is were a pic would really help you see what I'm talking about. I would give you a pic but can't get them to post for some reason. I thought ESR started making billet coil mounts?

deathman53
12-10-2006, 06:05 PM
they do make coil mounts, I have one on my bike. you have to ground that brakcet to the frame, run a wire to the ground or, file the paint/pc so the bracket grounds to the frame. On my atc250r, I have the coil bolted to the frame, through the top engine mount. Put the green wire with the loop in one of the coil mount screws.

Kirt13
12-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Give ESR a call. They will be the best people to ask.

rider250ex
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
the green wire with the flat copper end bolts right to the coil using the bolt for the billet mount.

707trx250r
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. I got confused because they forgot the coil bracket. I called esr and they shipped me one. I didn't want to make a mount but then i found it was supposed to come with a mount. So things are on track now.

Did anyone notice any difference with it.

later
Adam

C-LEIGH RACING
12-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Ya'll dont say anything about it, dont spoil the moment for him, :D :D

Adam, when you ride it, come back & post what you think.
Neil

707trx250r
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I wanted to know because i am putting on the ignition and a cpi 800 pipe. So i should notice a huge difference. Cpi said he got like 14 hp over a small bore pipe. I also put in a new clutch. It was slipping 3-5 gear real bad. But i was still kicking banshee butt. I haven't even experienced the true power of the 350 pv yet. All i can saw is I am Scared. I hope to have it running next week. So I will post pics and a ride review.
Later
Adam

Kirt13
12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING

Ya'll dont say anything about it, dont spoil the moment for him, :D :D

Adam, when you ride it, come back & post what you think.
Neil
Well, answering this question might spoil his surpeise, but I really want to know:
What difference will it make? What kind of gains, advantages or disadvantages?
Thanks!!

C-LEIGH RACING
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
OOOk,
Sence your changeing so many things at once.
What you will notice with the CR ignition, with the lite flywheel when you get on the gas with that 350 it will be like BAM, like on the pipe right then.
Lot of weight difference in the stock TRX flywheel from the little CR flywheel, nothing to hold the engine back from revving up.

You will notice that the engine is easier to start, I mean like it will spark at low rpms trying to crank the engine.
Another thing you cant see or feel, the ignition is digital fired meaning it will spark at the same time every time every rpm, not jump all around like the old TRX anilog fired ignition.

You say you might be scared,,,maybe so maybe not,,depends on your riding skill & the port work in that cylinder.
Neil

jas250r
12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
hey neil, what disadvantages are there for a stock bore motor? I have heard about stalling at very low idle(riding). I'am going to try a friends hopefully when he send his 330pv to you to get it ported!

C-LEIGH RACING
12-12-2006, 06:22 PM
I guess it depends on what your youst to in a engine weather you stall it or not. Might be a tad easier because of the lighter flywheel but not much. Probably take a few hours to get youst to it.
Neil

Kirt13
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
ANY BODY HAVE ONE OF THESE 250 IGNITION KITS THEY WANT TO SELL TO ME?? :macho