PDA

View Full Version : my new kitty...hehe

TRX_450
12-09-2006, 11:39 AM
well im an avid outdoorsman and love to hunt fish and trap but trapping is probably my favorite, went to pull my traps from a rock quarry today and had this little feller, scared me half to death when i walked up and didnt see him. he weighs 30-35lbs and is probably a good 5' in length i think hell go good with my other kitty on the opposite wall :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/p60a86c6f20939e1a854a8e51d3dc2d24/ebb2c166.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/p7a92eec910a8fae83b97d6f64730b40f/ebb2c136.jpg

my other kitty

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid151/p00bce4a4a6c1528bb536c772d3c3e374/f5c91209.jpg

HondaEXrider22
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I personally think trapping is like cheating. Like baiting. Its not even like you do anything - just set the trap and hope that some animal gets stuck in it and starves to death.

TRX_450
12-09-2006, 01:07 PM
really its no different than hunting, and they dont starve to death at all, its a law here to check your traps every day, so were talking 12 hours at most and most of the time they sleep anyway

Stevie-D
12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
different strokes for different folks.

never done it, but from what i hear, trapping takes a lot of effort.

nice catch man!

I-7
12-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
I personally think trapping is like cheating. Like baiting. Its not even like you do anything - just set the trap and hope that some animal gets stuck in it and starves to death.

I agree with you.

But nice catch anywhoo...

12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
trapping is for the real cowards.

bsjoe
12-09-2006, 02:48 PM
hunting witha gun is for real cowards if you think about it.

How many humans would still be alive if deer knew how to shoot a gun?

The only way you wouldnt be a coward when hunting would be running after the deer with a knife in your hands, or archy. I feel its a skill thats harder to learn since I've taken lessons in both rifles and archy. plus its more of a one shot chance thing.

Thats a nice kitty, when I was atving once a Cougar ran infront of me and scared the sh*t out of me lol.

Later my dad bought me a pistol

jrm03
12-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Great catch guy. Trapping seems to be a lost art in areas anymore. Pelts go for next to nothing in this area, so you have to do it strictly out of love for the tradition and the outdoors.

Thats an impressive mount. Congratulations

mx428
12-09-2006, 04:31 PM
That is a beautiful cat, was hanging it on your wall really worth taking its life?

derekhonda
12-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I didn't realize this board was full of so many women.

Nice cat man.

mx428
12-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda

Nice cat man. So it would be more manly to kill you and put you on my wall?

Mxjunkie
12-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Nice cat man.

Very true lol

I follow the you kill it you eat it rule.. not a fan of trapping to much..

JOEX
12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
No need for flaming.

Everyone has their hobbies and you don't have to agree with them but name calling and far fetched arguments aren't neccessary.:)

NikNacs67
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
That's why humans are at the top of the food chain. Beautiful cat though.

coolguy8769
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
No need for flaming.

Everyone has their hobbies and you don't have to agree with them but name calling and far fetched arguments aren't neccessary.:)

AGREED!!

Big Cats are one of the few things that would really scare the piss out of me, I would not want to meet one on a trail or when i'm out running!! cause bears wil run away unless your near their young, cats will stalk you and then attack......:ermm:

they are gorgeous though

CHEVYZ
12-09-2006, 05:14 PM

Nice cat man. Haha, same.

TRX_450
12-09-2006, 05:30 PM
thanx for the comment guys....i got offered 150 for him by a friend for his exit project for school but i dunno if i wanna do that, the kill it eat it rule applies, not all of the time but ive eaten coon and beaver before and actually beaver is so much like beef you wouldnt believe it. and yes walking up on cats will be a little scary for a while...after i shot him i went and got the rest of my traps then came back to allow him time to "calm down" and when i got back i made sure he was dead and closed his eyelids so i didnt hafta look at his eyes when i took him out of the trap :scary: i also caught a skunk, but i didnt take pictures of him :blah:

AtvMxRider
12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
actually beaver is so much like beef you wouldnt believe it.

I thought it tasted like chicken:devil:

skull2002
12-09-2006, 05:40 PM
ward.....havnt you been a little hard on the beaver????:blah:

Mxjunkie
12-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I thought it tasted like chicken:devil:

You like that Kentucky Fried Chicken :devil:

AtvMxRider
12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
You like that Kentucky Fried Chicken :devil:

Pappy
12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22

it takes more skill to trap an animal then it does to shoot one at 300 yards with a rifle.

great catch!

tp300ex
12-09-2006, 06:26 PM
awsome catch but i find it hard to kill something and not eat it unless its a bother to me....but if u set a trap out of scratch then hell that hard

wilkin250r
12-09-2006, 06:47 PM
You know, there are a lot of people that would say something very similar about hunting. A big high-powered rifle against a poor innocent defensless animal, blah blah blah.

How many of you have ever trapped before?

AtvMxRider
12-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

I've tried trapping women but they always get away:ermm:

TRX_450
12-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You know, there are a lot of people that would say something very similar about hunting. A big high-powered rifle against a poor innocent defensless animal, blah blah blah.

bocats, ive trapped 2, one my first year and he was caught in a snare and is also the one i have the mount of, and then this one which was caught in a coil-spring foot trap

Scott-300ex
12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Thats nice man.

Yeah, bears, you have a better chance outrunning, cats are fast!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they can all pretty much climb trees. Isn't it only 1 kind of bear can?

And you call trappers cheaters? Well I call shotgun/deer hunters cheaters, if you want it even, use a BOW!

I got nothin against trappers, same prize, just a different way.

And is that a bobcat cuz those are illegal here, my brother 'n laws uncle shot one and put it in his freezer to get it mounted, DNR comes says can we check your fridge, they had a tracking device in thier hand cuz they had a tracking device in the bobcat, walked right to the fridge, there it was, yeh, he was in TROUBLE. Haha!

TRX_450
12-10-2006, 07:40 AM
yea its a bobcat, and they are perfectly legal to trap and hunt here, you just have to call the DNR and have somebody come out and tag it before you sell it or mount it. mountain lions are illegal to trap here tho, but it takes a hell of a trap to catch them lol

Quad18star
12-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Nice .

I used to do a lot of trapping a few years ago , kind of slacked off as of lately . Like it was said , it takes more skill to trap than it does to sit and wait with a gun . I have a lot of respect for trappers . It's a lost art , but there are still a few guys around our area that do it . As long as you eat what you kill ( or atleast give it away to someone/organization that will use the meat) then it's all good .

Up here every year countless mosse get illegally shot and the guys just leave them out to rot . Sometime the wardens will catch it before the meat spoils and they hand it off to the local soup kitchens . Same goes for some pelts , they'll hand it over to homeless shelters and make mits and gloves for those that are stuck living on the streets during the winter time . :)

2004exrider
12-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TRX_450
yea its a bobcat, and they are perfectly legal to trap and hunt here, you just have to call the DNR and have somebody come out and tag it before you sell it or mount it. mountain lions are illegal to trap here tho, but it takes a hell of a trap to catch them lol

No way in HE!! i'd be in the woods if there was bob cats and mountain lions. Especially trail riding at nite:eek2:.

Jimmy

Honda400exrox
12-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Thats nice man.

Yeah, bears, you have a better chance outrunning, cats are fast!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they can all pretty much climb trees. Isn't it only 1 kind of bear can?

And you call trappers cheaters? Well I call shotgun/deer hunters cheaters, if you want it even, use a BOW!

I got nothin against trappers, same prize, just a different way.

And is that a bobcat cuz those are illegal here, my brother 'n laws uncle shot one and put it in his freezer to get it mounted, DNR comes says can we check your fridge, they had a tracking device in thier hand cuz they had a tracking device in the bobcat, walked right to the fridge, there it was, yeh, he was in TROUBLE. Haha!

I think you have no idea what your talking about, shotgun deer hunters, walk through bushes, those are what are called doggers, and then you have blockers at the end of atleast 3 or more bushes, that I personally have walked through, I dont know how you fellers in the states do it, but thats how we shotgun hunters in canada do it, Bow hunters are the lazy ones, they just sit in a damn tree until something walks by...Educate your self a little until you know something...Im sorry mods, but idiots like these need to be pointed out....Im done ranting, for now

derekhonda
12-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by mx428
So it would be more manly to kill you and put you on my wall?

Oh good comparison, a human life vs. a wild animal. I was expecting to see you be about 14 years old when i looked at the profile, but 17....comeon man.

bulkdriverlp
12-10-2006, 12:52 PM
nice cat, my uncle has trapped for over 30 years now. his house is full of mounts of just about everyting around here. good job

i-hate-posers
12-10-2006, 01:27 PM
:D AWEZUM kill and btw im all for it lol
(im a gurl too)
:scary: <thats kool lol im bored so im acting stupid

logan
12-10-2006, 02:04 PM
good catch dude, i trap but havnt had time this year with school and takin care of my farm

12-10-2006, 02:56 PM
so it is easier to scare to deer to a waiting person than it is to actually scout the area for months before and know where the big deer is going to be and run? archery is tough...the drive using the dogger and blocker is used for the last day of rifle season as a last ditch effort to get the deer. i have taken deer with a bow, from a stand with a rifle and from a drive. the hardest was the bow. i had to scout and had had to have the patience for the deer to come to me, unlike rifle season where there is usually some part time hunter that gets the deer moving.

trapping would be hard. i have never tried that. that would take a lot of scouting also...nice catch on that bobcat!

honda4life72
12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
i like bow huntign more than anything .... becasue if you can get a deer into 30 yards with out them knowing your there ....youve already won. but hunting wiht a rifle is callenging to try making 300 yard shots with a 270 lol

12-11-2006, 06:00 AM
the areas where i hunt, there are no 300 yard shots...i sight my rifles in for 100 yds and don't usually get anything over 50...i did take a 275 yrd shot at a moving deer and got some hair, but no blood...not too bad considering the gun was sighted for 100 yards...twas a .308 i was using too...it was acrossed a valley on the last day and due to reasons i can't remember, was my only day to hunt...i ended up getting a big doe about an hour later...

PeeWee21
12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Nice catch.....bow hunting is harder than ANY type of gun hunting....period. Especially whoever uses "doggers" and runs them to someone else? I did'nt thing that was hunting....i thought that was called herding??? lol "Hey you, set right there and i'll walk down here and run 'em to ya and then you shoot them as they go by"....hmmmm...does'nt sound like hunting to me....it sounds more like "waiting"???? lol Hunting is about patience and knowledge, not running animals to ya buddy's so they can shoot them!:rolleyes:

12-11-2006, 08:12 AM
You shoiuld have not killed it and kept it as a pet. My uncle had a linx as a pet when he was younger.

Scott-300ex
12-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
No way in HE!! i'd be in the woods if there was bob cats and mountain lions. Especially trail riding at nite:eek2:.

Jimmy

If your riding your quad I HOPE, you can outrun the wildlife.:rolleyes:

Plus I know they wouldn't chase you if anything they'd run away. Mainly cuz of the noise.

12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mx428
That is a beautiful cat, was hanging it on your wall really worth taking its life?

Yea. its a dam animal. suck it up

peewee 21. Bow hunting is no way in hell harder, they sit in trees.. with cross bows,not indian bows, bait the deer, and wait for them to come around and shoot it. Pretty hard

12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
i don't use a cross bow when i hunt archery...i use a compound bow...i have used traditional bows(indian bow as you call it) in the past. it is not about just sitting in the tree...you could sit in the tree for days on end without seeing a deer. you need to know what tree to choose so that you get the deer close enough...that is 30 yds or less for me even though i am accurate to way past 50 yards. it take hours of practice to also be able to hit your target accurately for a quick kill. the doe i took this year with a bow dropped within 12 yards of where i shot her. i was disappointed with that...pcik up a bow and try to hit a your target on the first shot...i bet you can't do it...

4trax250x81
12-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i don't use a cross bow when i hunt archery...i use a compound bow...i have used traditional bows(indian bow as you call it) in the past. it is not about just sitting in the tree...you could sit in the tree for days on end without seeing a deer. you need to know what tree to choose so that you get the deer close enough...that is 30 yds or less for me even though i am accurate to way past 50 yards. it take hours of practice to also be able to hit your target accurately for a quick kill. the doe i took this year with a bow dropped within 12 yards of where i shot her. i was disappointed with that...pcik up a bow and try to hit a your target on the first shot...i bet you can't do it...

I am gonna have to agree with speedy on this one. I think bow hunting is not only harder but more rewarding. I take pride in the amount of effort and knowledge I put into my bow hunting. I would take a day of bow hunting over a week of gun season anyday.

Scott-300ex
12-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by mitch091
Yea. its a dam animal. suck it up

peewee 21. Bow hunting is no way in hell harder, they sit in trees.. with cross bows,not indian bows, bait the deer, and wait for them to come around and shoot it. Pretty hard

Ok, in High Powered Rifle states, you see a deer you shoot it, cuz they got long range. Shotgun, you get at least 2 shots, 3 if pump or auto then you got long range.

I've only got sites for 10, 20, and 30 yards on my bow.

Bow=Gotta get the deer closer, wind, steady arm, strength, and so much more, like the guy up above said try dinging close to bullseye the first time, now I say try hitting the target 30 yards away, I bet you'll miss the target completley, lucky for me, I've always had a steady body and can usually get my hand around all 6 arrows at a practice shoot at 20 yards.

Way more challenging than boom boom boom, reload, boom boom boom.

honda4life72
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
ok a real hunter waits for the big one ..u don't just walkout there pick your animal and bang got the state throphey ...... i am 14 years old and have killed three deer sense i was 8 a ,,8 point 200 pounds from 142 yards 18 inches wide 10 inches tall with my rifle a 6 point form 4 yards 175 pounds 19 inches wid 8 inches tall with my bow... and a doe when i was 8 ...i tke pride in hunting and get several comments on how older men respect me for passing up small deer ... i see 18-20 ever time i go huntign but don't shot....people make it out to be bad to hunt ... and the you shot it you it rule always is applyed . it is not right to take a animals life and not eat it.. i am not trying to brag but this is avervating with all these anti deer hunters out there. an di respect trappers to i have never trapped before would like to..i thing it would be callenging to catcha animal in a trap like indians did back in tha day lol