PDA

View Full Version : acceleration problem

darkzealot
12-09-2006, 10:40 AM
let me explain the situation. I live in Quebec, and winter/snow just hit us. It's really cold outsite. So i put lid on airbox,rejet put some anti-freeze in my fuel, put 4-snow and skis on...and i go for a ride in the snow ! The problem: it seems that i lost all my horsepower...just to tell you....it won't hit the rev limiter in neutral at WOT. So i played with the jetting...maybe its too rich...no difference, lid or not, jetted 150 dyno or 170...no diff. I decide to clean my filter...still no acceleration...i stalled in first climbing a little hill. The motor runs very well, there is no smoke coming from the exaust, everything is tight....the jetting is perfect...It's not a compression problem neither...

im lost, i dont know what could be the problem....could it be the valve ( even if it doesnt seem so ) or the cdi even if its stock ?

jordan_m6
12-09-2006, 01:44 PM
never heard of putting anti- freeze in fuel, but what the hell. just to make sure try new gas.

Xater
12-09-2006, 03:39 PM
gas doesnt freeze...

400ex18
12-09-2006, 04:37 PM
what in the world, why would u put anti frezz in ur gas that the hole prob right there, who gave u that idea to put it in ur gas any ways??

Honda#4
12-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Thats a no no to put antifreeze in gas.

2004exrider
12-09-2006, 07:20 PM
He's not talking about antifreeze like coolant, he's talking about Heet it's an additive you put in your gas to keep any condensation in your tank from freezing and clogging the fuel lines. Im guessing maybe you put to much in, empty your tank and put in some new gas.

Jimmy

400ex18
12-09-2006, 07:22 PM
why did he not say that then, he said anti frezz like the coolent

400eXr1d3rZ
12-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 400ex18
why did he not say that then, he said anti frezz like the coolent

It's still called anti-freeze.

vze2hnvz
12-10-2006, 08:28 AM
If you also notice, he's in Quebec. Some words may have got lost in french/english translation. The gas antifreeze is only isopropyl alcohol. If the gas you buy is the 10% methanol mix, you never need to put the gas antifreeze in.....ever. The 10% methanol mix binds much more water than a small bottle of gas antifreeze ever could.

blasterandy
12-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Putting heet in it is a very good idea its called gas line antifreez its about a dollar for a quart. We use it in our cola can stoves.

darkzealot
12-10-2006, 09:27 AM
sorry for that...im talking about heet. hehe
anyway ...i tried putting some heet in it because it had this acceleration problem....so i had the problem without heet

2004exrider
12-10-2006, 09:53 AM
:confused: Try taking the carburetor off and seeing that the needle is still connected. Maybe the clip fell off some how. Have you checked to make sure none of your vacuum lines are twisted or some how pinched shut, heck even the vent tube running from the gas tank? Do you have a stock CDI (rev box) or after market, if its after market try putting your stock one back on.

Jimmy

darkzealot
12-10-2006, 02:17 PM
i have a stock CDI....and there are no twisted vacum line from what i saw
the needle could be something to check even though the motor sounds like if the carb is jetted right...and the spark plug is brown.
But ill look into it....Dynojet say that " if you have problem while asking for horsepower ( acceleration, hill climbing ), you're too rich" that's why i played with jetting first...but i had no luck...

thx for your help !

ilpadrino113
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
gas doesnt freeze...

um i beg to differ... Up in northen NY gas will freeze in my car tank if its less than a 1/4 tank. gotta wait fro it to warm up so it will melt.

hornetgod13
12-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ilpadrino113
um i beg to differ... Up in northen NY gas will freeze in my car tank if its less than a 1/4 tank. gotta wait fro it to warm up so it will melt.

The freezing point of unleaded gasoline is below -75 degress Fahrenheit. It my differs slighty depending on additives. Your cars failure to start is more likely caused by water that had formed by means of condensation in your partially empty tank. That water eventually frooze in the lines or tank blocking the flow of unfroozen fuel.

darkzealot
12-12-2006, 06:16 PM
good news !..well maybe not
but i found the problem..i took the cdi of my friend and i found out that i have no problem with his cdi. So i need to buy a new one. It's weird, but it seems my cdi didn't like winter...

Thx you everyone !

hornetgod13
12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
First I've heard of a stock CDI issue. Mostly read of aftermarket CDI problems.
I'm glad you solved the problem. I hope this can help people out in the future.