View Full Version : suspension conversion.

Houser Cannondale
09-16-2002, 07:00 PM
i just decided im going to put 400ex a-arms and shocks on my 300ex and i was wondering how many people have done this and what all there is involved in it. like how far up you have to move the mounts and things like that. i have all the facilities to have it welded and such just not sure exactly what to do with it. i dont wanna go cutting on my frame and not know what im doing. :eek: any help appreciated!!

Ben
09-17-2002, 07:13 AM
Numerous people have done this conversion and been very happy with it. The only fabricating you will have to do is for the upper shock mount. Everything else will bolt right on. The 400ex shocks are about +2" longer than the 300ex shocks so you will either have to weld on a new, fabricated, upper shock mount onto your frame, or there is a guy on here call countrypark who sells bolt on upper shock mounts for the exact situation you are facing. If you need specifics just let me know. :)

MeatHead
09-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Has anyone actually used the bolt on conversion brackets sold by countypark? I have seen some pics of them and they look strong enough. But I was curious if anyone has used them and what they think. If I upgrade the suspension on the 300 I would like to go with something like this so that way I can use the parts on a 400 if/when I get one. Then put the 300 stock parts back on and sell it as stock.

Houser Cannondale
09-17-2002, 02:32 PM
im not sure yet if i want to buy the bolt on conversion brackets or just cut off my old mounts flush and weld on new mounts above them. cutting, fabricating, and welding new mounts is no problem my dad is a certified weldor and machinest so he can help me do all that. i want whatever looks the cleanest and closest to stock. if i make my own im even going to get some oem paint to paint the newly welded brackets. if i do make my own brackets how do i know how much higher to make them. and also i saw some close up pics of quads with new mounts and it looks like they are also farther out away from the frame. any help or tips appreciated !!!

flyin#5
09-17-2002, 03:34 PM
i wanted to try this with my 200sx but i am just having my dad make me some wheel spacers. i still want better front shocks at least but im not sure if 400ex or heck even 300ex shocks would work? my mounts are pretty far up there but the shocks bolt on the top of the thing the a arms are bolted too, so im not sure if it will push the a arms down and they will be hitting the frame.

Houser Cannondale
09-17-2002, 03:49 PM
umm not sure about that never heard anybody do that before.