PDA

View Full Version : 400ex jetting diagnosis

extreme98tj
12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Calling out all jetting gods:

I recently installed an hmf slip on and am running stock filter and stock air lid. I went with the dyno jet kit and rejetted according to their specs: needle at position 3, and dynojet 142 main jet. While I was at it, I upped the pilot to a keihin 40 (honda shop was out of the 42). It starts up and idles, but once I hit the throttle it bogs and than revs, or bogs and dies. I am in DFW, TX and it is currently about 40 degrees. So what should I do next?? Thanks for the help

Keep in mind the girlfriend was rushing me so much tonight I did not get a chacne to ride it...it was simply sitting in the garage.

Honda#4
12-08-2006, 05:31 PM
I just got done jetting my quad, I put in a 42 pilot and a DJ 142 too and I put the clip on the 4th notch from the top but this is all setup for 20 degree weather. Try to get a 42 pilot that helps some.

extreme98tj
12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I had a feeling I was running a bit lean so I bumped up to a dj150 and it was still doing it. I bumped it up to a dj 160 and throttle response is great. I hopped on it, let it warm up and took it into third gear wot and there was no hesitiation through any gears and no backfiring after I let off throttle and let it decelerate in gear. I have a feeling I may have it dialed in pretty close. I'm going to take it to the off road park down the street tomorrow and try my hand at the spark plug test.

I'm still pretty new at all this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I'm supposed to do:
1. New plug in bike
2. Start and let it warm up
3. Get it up to WOT for about 5 seconds and than kill it immediately
4. Push bike back to truck!!
5. Analyze spark plug white/grey = too lean, tan = perfect, black or wet = rich

Any tips or pointers? Thanks

400eXr1d3rZ
12-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Get in 4th gear WOT going slightly uphill (if possible) and pull in the clutch, kill it, and hold the throttle open until you come to a complete stop.