PDA

View Full Version : Micro vs. Linux vs. ??

CDCHONDAS
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Ok this probably the most argued subject but with windows vista coming and all what is going to be my best bet within the next year, how do yall like linux and what version are you running, did you order your computer with linux or install your self? since vista is supposed to be a drag..

Ralph
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Ive used a bootable version of mandriva linux to fix a few windows computers before. It also runs faster off of the cd-rom drive than windows does off of the HDD.

I wish it was more versable. If i could install photoshop and other various programs on linux i would be running it no doubt.

I do like the fact that i know alot about windows. Even if it is not as good i still know every corner of it and how to maintain it so i never really have troubles keeping it running top speed.

Other people however just dont know how to maintain windows and i think it should be more "knucklehead proof". Possibly defragging the hdd periodically and doing other things to keep it running better.

CDCHONDAS
12-08-2006, 06:56 PM
right, I try to keep ontop of my windows pretty good but they say the vista is supposed to soak up the power

mx428
12-08-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.ishkur.com/posters/linux.jpg

MOFO
12-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mx428
http://www.ishkur.com/posters/linux.jpg

Ummmm, that is a screenshot of Linux booting up. OS X and XP both go through similiar processes... only they hide it with a pretty little screen - not to scare the user away.

Personally, with my PC background, I wish ALL OS's would show you what is going on during boot up... just like the good 'ol DOS days.

12-09-2006, 07:52 AM
SuSE 10 here! Why would you pay for an OS and put more money into Gates pockets in the first place??? Linux=Unix=far superior than anything from Microshaft!!

I have Fedora on my laptop, soon to be upgraded.

CDCHONDAS
12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
So hows my best bet to get a new computer ready to run with linux, also I though microsoft programs were some what compatible? does linux still have the thing that for like $100 a year you can download any program off this huge list?

gojk
12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Seriously, if you have to ask, I would install Windows. If you haven't had a chance to use Linux, it does have a learning curve. Maybe get a machine and dual boot Linux and Windows.

I have Fedora Core running and I love it.

nosliw
12-09-2006, 09:55 AM
or get a mac. download BootCamp and install windows on a partition of the HDD.

OSX is unix based just like linux.

CDCHONDAS
12-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I am researching the Fedora Core and it looks very interesting, I have a laptop not doing much, might see about putting it on there.

popo
12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Unix rules