PDA

View Full Version : in-grown toe nails..

YFZ450Ridr
12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
well for the past 3 weeks my big toe on my right foot has been pussing and swollen like no other. so today i go to the doctor and she tells me, well were going to have to cut it out.

so she brings in this little 'kit' we'll call it. first she sprays this cold stuff all over it to num it somewhat. then she pulls out a decent sized needle with a crap load of novacane in it. she says just dont jerk your foot and youll be fine for the shot. well let me tell you that cold stuff didnt do a whole lot because that shot hurt like hell! she stuck it right down the front of my toe on the side of the infection and as she injected the novacane it started coming out from under my toe nail which was a little weird.

so once my toe was numb she pulls out some mini plyers almost like hemostats but bigger and sticks them right under my toe nail on the infected side and pushed them back until its PAST my toe nail then prys up the bad toe nail in my skin below. i was amazed at how big it was, roughly about the size of the pinky nail on your hand. she just snipped that off and wrapped it all up. just thought i would share my experience because it was a first for me, and hopefully a last because that needle hurt like hell.:scary:

gbcap
12-08-2006, 02:21 PM
it is amazing what people will share on forums. hahahaha.

never had that done to me...but my bro has. said they hurt like hell.

glad everything is alright.

procircuit406ex
12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
:ermm:

YFZ450Ridr
12-08-2006, 02:28 PM
atleast it wasnt my shifting foot for riding! driving home was a little awkward too, couldnt get a good feel for the brakes with a numb foot:p

Mean250r
12-08-2006, 02:54 PM
oh man that happend to me on the same toe!

except the doctor i went to didnt do it right until the 3rd time. So i had to go through it 3 times

Deff. the most painful thing ever

mole97
12-08-2006, 03:01 PM
:D had that and it SUCKED, but if you want I can tell ya about my hemmerhoids:D :D :D ...........

z4evr
12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Ive had that before too. The needle to me felt like it had a barb on the end and once they put it in they were continuosly pulling on it trying to get it back out....man that hurt so bad!!

motox450
12-08-2006, 03:05 PM
LOL you big sissy's! I don't even go to the doctor. NO pain medicine nothing. I get a nail file a good light, tweezers, and nail clipers and dig them outmyself! I can say that the pain is almost unbearable, but nothing close to kidney stones!! Now those things make you feel like you are going to die!

JRP
12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
happened to me too, same foot and toe. the needle didnt bother me at all, i use to get 14 shots a week so no biggie, lol. it does hurt after they do it though, mine throbbed really bad

Shift_450R
12-08-2006, 03:44 PM
My brother got it done 6 times before having surgery to fix it. ANd he's only 18.

BadManOnA400
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I have had it done before. Right foot big toe. She did all that numbing stuff and it still hurt. It ended up being longer and bigger than my big toe nail and then she went to the other side and there was another one the same size. Now my toe nail is falling off, but a new one is growing in.

A A R O N
12-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I had that done and it was exactly like you said, needle and all:p

I will say though....if you want it to heal fast, soak it in warm salt water every night for a few days....it will heal up in less than a week versus about twice that time if you just let it go completely. It stings at first, but after a couple minutes it's fine.

FasstMidnightZ
12-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, damn, did you get to keep the toe nail? :p

bulkdriverlp
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM
they are a never ending battle for me, ive had them for years. i went to the foot doctor the first time, watched what he did and ive been doing my own ever since. what i do is get a dentist pick type tool, fingernail clippers. all i do is use the file part that is stored inside the clippers and start digging from the center of the nail out to the corner where its growing in. the start to chop the nail from the center to the edge where its goin into the skin. then get a grip on it with the clippers and pull, grit my teeth and close my eyes until i rip the damn thing off. then blood ooses out for a while, just stuff kleenex on your toe. i have to do both big toes every 3-4 weeks. they hurt for a couple days afterwards but beats going in to foot doctor.:devil:

MO-EX-RIDER
12-08-2006, 07:06 PM
i had them bad....3 times they were removed like yours...4th time had it removed with a laser and now my nail does not grow into the sides of my toe....problem resolved:D

jeremy_283
12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
i had that sorta thing once on my finger.... i just let it heal itself then another time..... my finger was bothering me and i like squeezed it and a wood splinter popped out followed by some green puss :).......... i thought.... when the hell did i get that thorn in me? then i remembered it happened 3 weeks earlier at a soccer practice :) cool stuff huh???

fasterblaster09
12-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Mean250r
oh man that happend to me on the same toe!

except the doctor i went to didnt do it right until the 3rd time. So i had to go through it 3 times

Deff. the most painful thing ever

same thing happened to me.but she finally killed the nerve so one side wont grow back.she only gave you 1 shot? i got one on each side. I think the worst part was the cold stuff

300ex mxracer
12-10-2006, 05:22 PM
when i had one takin out they gave my like 5 shots... toe looked like a sasuage.

PeeWee21
12-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Here's a tip on how to keep from getting in-grown toe nails. Cut a "V" in you toe nails, as they grow out it will shove the "V" together allowing the nail to not have the opprotunity to pierce your skin. Keep your nails a little long to. If you cut them really close, they have a much greater chance of becoming ingrown.

rbgnwa45
12-11-2006, 06:09 AM
I had it done on my right toe, recovery was worst.

ATV Chic
12-11-2006, 06:40 AM
I had it done on the same toe when I was 13. They gave me 3 shots of Novacaine and I could still feel the Dr. cutting the nail out with a scalpel. It was one of the most painful things i've gone thru. More painful than breaking 7 ribs i think. It sucked. What was even worse, was when the Dr. wrapped it up, he put a cotton ball on the open wound to stop the bleeding and left it there. I had to soak my foot in Epsom salt water for 36 hours to get the damn think to break free from my skin! :mad:

rtm1216
12-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I've had this done too. My toe was infected really bad and I had to work a 12hr overnight shift (on my feet the whole time) w/ an appt to have it removed the following morning. By the time I got to the doctor I couldn't get my shoe off. She ended up cutting the front half of it off as well as my sock that looked like it had basically fused to my toe.

Once she had access to it, she sprayed the cold stuff on, grabbed a pair of small scissors and cut the nail in half. She pulled out the in-grown part (it was huge) and a tidal wave of puss and blood came gushing out. It was the single most satisfying feeling of my life :) I was in so much pain that when all that pressure in the toe was released it was like heaven on earth. I'm allergic to novacaine so she had to skip it. I was hurting so bad prior to that, that I didn't even care. I've had multiple broken bones and 3rd degree burns that required skin grafts. Nothing has come even close to the pain I felt from that infection. Every beat of my pulse felt like someone was slamming my toe with a sledgehammer. I now keep my nails on my big toes a little longer than usual to avoid this. Hasn't happened again in 12 yrs to date. :)

YFZ450Ridr
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
wow there are a few stories more gross than mine:p didnt know it was a common thing. my mom is prone to them so i guess i get it from her. i have been soaking my foot in salt water once, sometimes twice a day and its clearing up nice.

ZeroLogic
12-11-2006, 03:49 PM
i had that on my big toe three time the third time she cut the nail and stiched me up

droopie31
12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I have had it done several times myself, I finally decided for them to kill the ingrown toenail. They have an acid they put on a Q-tip and touch around in there where the ingrown nail was, and then they never grow back. I had both of my big toes done.

fmfhonda
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
yea I know what your talking about man. I have had two of those in the last year.

QuadJunkies
12-12-2006, 12:07 AM
eeeeewwww the things you read on atviders!! LOL!!:o :p

I had a feind have her toenails surgically removed from constant toenail issues,she said it was AWEFUL! She had both done at the same time
then it seemd like everyone was liek a magnet to it and she would stub it or get stepped on :scary:

RidinRed420
12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
i had to have that done once... when I was like 13.. the procedure wasn't too bad, what was bad was living with the infection for a long time before ever doing anything about it..

when i had it done, the doctor put something on it so my nail doesn't grow back there any more. it grows right up to it, but not past it....

I know someone who had the entire nail removed, and this stuff put on, so she doesn't have a nail at all....

ewww, ok I hate feet. enough talk of them. lol

nosliw
12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
i'm not going to lie, that was a little hard to read without shivering

QuadJunkies
12-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by RidinRed420
I know someone who had the entire nail removed, and this stuff put on, so she doesn't have a nail at all....

ewww, ok I hate feet. enough talk of them. lol
yup, thats one my bud had done,that has to HURT! All your nerve endings are in your feet so I can only imagine the THROBBING pain that had to be!:eek2: