PDA

View Full Version : carb help ASAP!!

Honda#4
12-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Well I jetted my bike this week and everything is ok on idle and WOT but it's popping and backfireing from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle so I'm pretty sure the needle has to get lowered but I don't know how to take the needle out, I got as far as takeing off the valve cover from there it is way to complicated for me. I have a 42 pilot in and a DJ 142 if that helps.I know it's the needle, Please help.

Old Head
12-08-2006, 11:46 AM
on top of the carb there is a triangle looking plate with 3 screws. you need to remove that. Then you will see the slide, in the bottom of that is 2 screws remove those. On the arm that pulls the slide up is a screw remove that. Pull arm up and remove slide under that is your needle.

lpmaster
12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
once you take the cover off the top of the carb, you'll notice that metal rotatoir arm connected to some plastic join pieces that connect to the slide, then needle just kind of rests through the bottom of that slide, and if your careful, remove the screw that holds that arm to the throttle so you can move the slide up and down without tension. then get a long small preferably magnetc screw-driver and remove the bolts at the bottom attacking the small metal and plactic joints to the slide and raise it up until you can get the needle out, i'll try and find some pics for you

cals400ex
12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
are you running the dynojet or keihin needle?

Chino886
12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
are you running the dynojet or keihin needle?

he's running the keihin

Honda#4
12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
i'm running the keihin. I took the cover off with the three screws and stuff but when I looked in the carb at the throttle piston I was like O MY GOD!! not gonna happen. There's to many little parts in that area, and on top of that im working in a crapy garage with the wind blowing like crap and dirt flying everywhere.

Honda#4
12-08-2006, 02:16 PM
O guys I got the needle out and I lowered the clip one notch but is the needle suppose to move or not cus it did a bit when I took it out. I did strip one of the little screws in the piston though but I got it all tightened up. So is the needle movement normal? Need a answer right a way thanks.

Old Head
12-08-2006, 02:35 PM
umm the needle just sits there and is pulled up with the slide.

Honda#4
12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I got everything together and it runs great does'nt smoke or pop or backfire. it backfired once on warmup but went away. I think i'll tweak the A/F screw tomorrow to see if it will run even better weather or not that will do anything. Thanks you guys for everything, it was'nt actally that hard the second time. Thanks again.

Chino886
12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I got everything together and it runs great does'nt smoke or pop or backfire. it backfired once on warmup but went away. I think i'll tweak the A/F screw tomorrow to see if it will run even better weather or not that will do anything. Thanks you guys for everything, it was'nt actally that hard the second time. Thanks again.

Glad you got it figured out!