PDA

View Full Version : Nervous... please help!

yellow400ex05
12-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I just took my quad to the shop to get an HMF pipe and Hotcam stage 1 and airfilter put on it. I am nervous as to when i go to break it in. How the heck am i supposed to know when 3000 RPM's is and how high should i put my idle? Also would going up and down a feild for 30-40 minuts at half throttle work goung from half throttle letting off then going back up to half throttle??? please explain to how i should ride it during the break in. Can i go through all the gears or stay in a specific gear like 3rd or 4th and how high of an RPM is too high?

drchoicey
12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
dude,chill

just remember that the idea of breaking in an engine is
to use it very gently until the bearing surfaces
have a chance to polish up.More important than any specific
time or rpm range is throttle application.Try to stay under
1/4 throttle for 15 minutes.Then stop and let the engine cool off.
Then ride using 1/2 throttle for 15,etc.,etc.Accelerate and shift smoothly, and avoid full throttle for the first day (if you can stand to wait that long).Do not lug the engine (lots of throttle at low rpm),or let it rev to the limit even at less than full throttle.Also,
avoid any situations that will put a heavy load on the engine like long uphills or deep mud.Cruise around light and smooth and let the engine cool off now and then and you will be fine.

have a nice ride

the doctor

GPracer2500
12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
This is what Hotcams says about break-in:

Do not use synthetic lubes or oils during break in. Use petroleum based oils only. Synthetic oils do not allow the camshaft to break in properly.

Upon initial start up it is very important you DO NOT let the engine idle. We suggest running the engine for at least 30 minutes of run time, at 3000 rpm or better. We recommend a light trail ride-to maintain the engine RPM above 3000 rpm. Only light engine loads are to be used. No excessive rpm or lugging. Let the engine cool. Check your valve clearances again with the entire engine at room temperature.

Don't worry too much about keeping it above exactly 3000rpm for X amount of time. If you were to dip down to 2500 rpm (or whatever) momentarily it's not likely to be of any consequence. Just turn up the idle to about double the normal idle speed so if you need to hold the clutch in during your break-in ride the revs won't drop way down.

Change your oil and check your valve clearances after a few hours on the new cam.

johnsls
12-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Doing this while you ride is probally a little more exciting... BUT
What you could do is

Start it
Pull the throttle cable out and put a clamp on the cable.
Let it run for 15 - 20 minutes
Change your oil.

Tada your done!:D