PDA

View Full Version : Who leads the way for others to follow??

Sandgod4
12-07-2006, 04:04 PM
So who is capturing more market share and always keeping the others on their toes to catch up be a player or get left behind. Both sport and 4x4 quads since the quad market is considerd a whole..

I am a Suzy guy for the most part, but I have to say Yamaha seems to always come up w/ the new models others just have to answer to.

theTman
12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
IMO yamaha started it all with the yfz450 and the grizzly 660

BlasterEaten250
12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Some people may not like it, but i really believe Polaris is really stepping it up. They seem to always have new things out with new features. Like the outlaw, the hawkeye (think that's what it's called) which is an IRS 300cc 4x4, and the rack system is really cool on the sportsmans where you can lift the top of the rack and there is storage beneath it. They may not be the best, but polaris has some cool idea's. JMO

FasstMidnightZ
12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
For Sport: I think Suzuki has now set the bar. The LTR450 is better than both the Honda 450r and Yamaha yfz450. So now its Yamaha's and Honda's turn to come back w/ somthing. Suzuki has shown some nice improvements!

For Utility: I think Yamaha has this one covered. The new Grizzly w/ the power steering is deffenatly a step above the rest. It also has everything else covered on utility side.

quads14589
12-07-2006, 04:54 PM
i think kawi becuase they got the all new 750 brute out and 650, also they got the new kfx450 out and kfx400, also they got realy good bikes.

NPelletier
12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
ide have to go with yamaha, after the big rhino thing:blah:

MXracer16
12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
i think kawi becuase they got the all new 750 brute out and 650, also they got the new kfx450 out and kfx400, also they got realy good bikes.

Personally, Id have to disagree. The 750 Brute is a great machine and all, but nothing puts it above the rest, same thing goes for the 650; its just a praire with new plastic. As for the 450, I have high hopes for it but we cant say much of anything about it yet. Kawasaki no longer makes the 400 due to the split between them and Suzuki. Thats just my opinion.

quads14589
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
i just dont like the way that honda is going right now, the utes look so small compared to 700kingquads and 800's. the 400ex is still air cooled, and i personaly think that the 450r isnt that great of a machine.

Sandgod4
12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I think Polaris has some neat ideas. Can Am seems to be getting into the mix more. The new 4x4's look waay nice. The sport 450 is coming.. Kawi did the V force a V twin.. Yamaha did the 660 Raptor, though the DS came out first, Grizzly, YFZ, 700 Raptor, Rhino is that a quad???, and new Grizzly.. Suzuki did the LTR for LT suspension and EFI though C-Dale did this first they aren't around anymore and don't count in my poll.. Honda did the 400ex that mopped up for years, but really Honda is always playing catch up w/ the other OEMS for the last 2-5 yrs.. Honda is winning the poll so far, but I am curious why??? I hope people aren't letting their loyalty cloud their vote..

blasterfreak99
12-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I think that yamaha comes up with the ideas like the YFZ450 and the YZ400F (the first high-performance 4 stroke dirtbike) but honda perfects the great ideas with things like the 450R and the CRF450R.

Ralph
12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Hmm, 250r, 400ex. Those were some of the biggest things in this sport. You wouldnt have something like the yfz,450r, or ltr if it wasnt for the 250r and 400ex

troutman561
12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
I definitely agree honda paved the way from the 80's into 2003 with the 250r and then the 400ex... but as of today, 2006, in the quad world id say yamaha, they are always changing and upgrading, they were the first of the big companies to put FI on a sport quad(yes i know c-dale but like was said, they arnt around), and just in general they are more bold than the other big 4 companies as of the last few years, nice to see suzuki and kawi steppin up tho....

Sandgod4
12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Last time I looked I didn't see a new 250r for sale anywhere in the world sold as an 07 model year.. Maybe I'm wrong..:rolleyes:

Ralph
12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Sandgod4
Last time I looked I didn't see a new 250r for sale anywhere in the world sold as an 07 model year.. Maybe I'm wrong..:rolleyes:

The honda 250r was raced for more than 16 years. Almost every competitive new atv was inspired by the 250r.

Look at what yamaha had to offer before the yfz450: Blaster, Banshee, Warrior. All of those quads had terrible geometry and handled poorly. Then they realized the market for competitive well handling machines was huge because every racing series was being dominated by HONDA 400ex's and 250r's. Thats when the YFZ was created.

Basically. The reason i chose honda is because they have been the biggest innovator in the sport.

troutman561
12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Sandgod4

Did I say in the world today? No. I said paved the way between the 80's and about 2003 with the 400ex and 250r. Read whats being said before you decide to be a smarta**

Sandgod4
12-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Current models not models that you cannot buy new anymore.. Marketshare is based on todays sales not yesterdays. BTW if you don't thing a twin cylinder two stroke was something exciting you should head to a local dune area... The Banshee is as legendary as the 250r in a very different way. The Warrior came before the 250ex ( I think),,,, which turned into a 300ex. The Warrior forced Honda to make a 250ex or you could say the Quadsport 250 forced Yamaha to make a Warrior and Suzuki forced everybody to join in on the greatest invention ever,, the 4th wheel.. Again stay w/ current models, because everything I stated other then the first two sentences means absolutley nothing...:)

wilkin250r
12-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I'd have to say, Yamaha comes out with the most innovative designs, it's just unfortunate that they all have some tragic flaw. This isn't limited to just the last model, either, Yamaha has ALWAYS done this. They seem to be first out with something in a new direction.

Putting the RZ350 motor into a quad was genius, too bad in handles like a cast-iron washtub.

Honda came out with the 400EX (which was a decent machine), but Yamaha wasn't going to play it safe and come out with a similar model. No, Yamaha pushed the envelope a little further and came out with the 660 Raptor. Bold move, too bad you need a step-ladder to get on it.

Yamaha saw the world changing, and they came out with the YFZ450. Sure, Honda was in development, but it was Yamaha that did it first. And the YFZ just seemed to be more dedicated to the race-ready concept, it came with the FCR carb the first year (honda waited until 2006 to put the FCR on the 450R).

Yamaha ALWAYS seemed to be the first in new directions. True, the YFZ seems to be the first they actually got right all around, all others have a tragic flaw, but the INNOVATION is there.

yamadjs08
12-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Wow, Im suprised that Honda is leading. I havent seen a very good reason why yet? Yeah the 250r was great, but we are talking about leading the way today, not 20 years ago... Lately Honda hasnt done ***** and honestly needs to step it up... The 400ex was the first new sport quad, but it wasnt anything to get excited about... Id have to say right now Yamaha, they seem to be ahead of everyone else, yeah there might be better products out now than say the yfz450, but the yfz had almost a year on everyone else, think of the sales they made in that year alone. They were the first major company to show off some technology and they all around make a good product, better quality is always needed, but for the most part a good design. Utilities I would have to say Yamaha, the new Grizzly is sweet... Polaris does have very innovative ideas, where they shine in some areas, they most definitely lack in others, just doesnt make for a very good all around quad. If you made this poll again in 2 years I would bet Can-Am would take it, they are up and coming and fast. I believe their 450 will be the next step in competition race quads... Give it a few years and we will see. :devil:

yamadjs08
12-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'd have to say, Yamaha comes out with the most innovative designs, it's just unfortunate that they all have some tragic flaw. This isn't limited to just the last model, either, Yamaha has ALWAYS done this. They seem to be first out with something in a new direction.

Putting the RZ350 motor into a quad was genius, too bad in handles like a cast-iron washtub.

Honda came out with the 400EX (which was a decent machine), but Yamaha wasn't going to play it safe and come out with a similar model. No, Yamaha pushed the envelope a little further and came out with the 660 Raptor. Bold move, too bad you need a step-ladder to get on it.

Yamaha saw the world changing, and they came out with the YFZ450. Sure, Honda was in development, but it was Yamaha that did it first. And the YFZ just seemed to be more dedicated to the race-ready concept, it came with the FCR carb the first year (honda waited until 2006 to put the FCR on the 450R).

Yamaha ALWAYS seemed to be the first in new directions. True, the YFZ seems to be the first they actually got right all around, all others have a tragic flaw, but the INNOVATION is there.
Well said! My thoughts exactly...

atvRiDa400ex
12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
HoNdIzzLe!:devil:

Bullitt
12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
JESUS:D

CDCHONDAS
12-08-2006, 05:59 AM
if you go by leading sales (quads, bikes, street) last i check honda beats everyone, i think in quads alone they do too. to clear up someones confusion earlier the Honda 250X came out in 87 as well as yami warrior the same year the 250x was made 87-88 then dropped till 91-92 then the 300ex came out. and i'll take a 250x over a warrior anyday. my opinion on the technology is yes suzuki and yamaha do a good bit of inventing but polaris came out with a utility suspension worth copying and honda is generally behind like 5 years on technology but when it comes out they have a good reliable product. honda also has a very strong following of customers. overall in the top 5 manufacturers Honda is the driving force, whether they have good technology or not they keep everyone else moving. how about the hondamatics they got some technology, or esp? and I understand Honda has power steering too, same year as yamaha

Villageidiott23
12-08-2006, 06:29 AM
i think power wheels started it all. way back when we were just lads and lasses power wheels was kicking it. jmo

trick250r
12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Hmm, 250r, 400ex. Those were some of the biggest things in this sport. You wouldnt have something like the yfz,450r, or ltr if it wasnt for the 250r and 400ex

well said... plus if honda comes out with something the same year as anyone else, you know that they thought of it first because they take like 5 years to perfect it.

shano
12-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Yamaha without a doubt, they've covered the field since 87...

Ralph
12-08-2006, 09:38 AM
I gotta give it to cannondale too. They were the ones to take the biggest step foward in the ********. Too bad the tripped:(

PeeWee21
12-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I agree with Cannondale in pure innovation....TRUE fuel injection, reverse cylinder design, aluminum frame, selling 2 race ready atv's off the showroom floor (don't gimme the YFZ,450R, or LTR is race ready) the Blaze and Moto are truely RACE READY. Well, the ATK but it's just a rebadged Dale. They paved the way to the YFZ,450R, and LTR.

Ralph
12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by PeeWee21
I agree with Cannondale in pure innovation....TRUE fuel injection, reverse cylinder design, aluminum frame, selling 2 race ready atv's off the showroom floor (don't gimme the YFZ,450R, or LTR is race ready) the Blaze and Moto are truely RACE READY. Well, the ATK but it's just a rebadged Dale. They paved the way to the YFZ,450R, and LTR.

I wouldnt say they paved it because the oems prob knew exactly what they would do for a while. But as far as innovation they really did put out a quad that was as close to race ready as possible.

stocktires
12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
From the old days? HONDA
Now? CANNONDALE

Sad to say that a company out of buisness is still years ahead of the Jap companies...

Villageidiott23
12-08-2006, 01:20 PM
didnt polaris merge with a euro company? im just thinking if they did that would def help them with their build quality and reliability aspect....

bradley300
12-08-2006, 01:26 PM
polaris owns 24% of KTM

Villageidiott23
12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
drop a ktm engin in a preddy and see how that ***** will run. that was a good move on their part.