PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not engaging after engine rebuild

sdyme1995
12-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I just got done rebuilding my engine. I had to replace the crank bearings. This is my first time doing one. I am a transmission mech so I am familiar with this stuff and I had the repair book.

It runs fine, I let it idle in nuetral varying the rpm's for two heat cycles then went to ride down the street and i pulled in the clutch and put it in gear and ommphh it stalled. Tried to kick it over with the clutch pulled and it still was engaged. Pulled the cable off the lift spindle and turned it by itself and tried spinning axle and still engaged.

Any ideas before I pull the side cover.:(

C-LEIGH RACING
12-07-2006, 12:06 PM
You make sure everything was lined up when putting the clutch together.
Sometimes dry clutch plates will stick to each other & cause that. I've seen bikes that have sat for awhile & the clutch be stuck the first time cranking it, once oil got between the plates, it was ok after that.
You do know when the trans shaft turns it spins the inner clutch hub & the metal plates between the fiber plates, right. If either of the metal plates are warpped it will drag the fiber & be kinda locked up.

I beleave I would pull the cover back off anyways just to check everything out.
Neil

sdyme1995
12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey thanks for the tips. You are one of the few on here that seem to give good help and not just smart remarks.

I kinda figured I would need to pull the case. Anyone else with some tips or things you have ran into in the past?

deathman53
12-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Do you have the cluth lifter ball bearing in? I have put together a motor and forgot to put in the ball bearing for the lifter.

sdyme1995
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
yea i have the ball bearing in because i almost forgot when i put it together, so i know it is in there.

How tight do you tighten the clutch springs, there was no spec in the manual.

wilkin250r
12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
The torque on the clutch springs isn't terribly important. The screws bottom out against the inner hub, so the torque setting doesn't have anything to do with the tension on the springs. It's not like head bolts. As long as they are tight enough so they won't come loose on their own, but not so tight they strip the threads, you're good.

Somewhere in the manual, it lists "general" torque specs for bolts of certain sizes, use those specs.

sdyme1995
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
yea i kinda figured thats how they were.

And i used the torque specs on every thing else.

atvmxr
12-08-2006, 08:17 AM
its a low number, like 8 ft#s I think. I remember searching through the manual and I found it somewhere in there. No clues to help solve your problem though

86 Quad R
12-09-2006, 03:25 AM
hte clutch is adjusted as it should be? if so then i think your problem is as neil stated. infact i frequently have this issue if i let my quad set for a spell.

to be on the safe side i would pull the cover and have a look see as to whats going on in there. when operating the clutch.

robyone
12-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Did you have any problems with the pressure plate spinning when you were tightening the clutch spring bolts? There is a large thrust washer on the back of the clutch hub, if you forgot to put it on or it fell off at some point without you noticing...It would cause the hub to spin and the clutch to be constantly engaged sort of speak.
I only know this because I recently made this mistake :ermm: