PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Metric Chrome Flange Nuts

ERBE
12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Any one know where to go, been looking on the internet, only plase so far in in the UK, looking for something on US soil, better yet would love to find somewhere that sell them in Japan Specs, not english you know 6mm is 10mm wrench 8mm is 12mm wrench and 10mm is14mm wrench.

would be willing to also use Stainless Streel

Any one point me to the right direction?

spent21
12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
rockymountainatv.com

they have the flanged nuts, the beveled nuts, and the chrome automotive type nuts.

these are great people to deal with, and they have some of the best prices around on tires/wheels/combos.

speaking of nuts, do you know the difference between bar nuts and deer nuts?

bar nuts are $1.25
deer nuts are always under a buck:p

snowormud
12-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by spent21
rockymountainatv.com

they have the flanged nuts, the beveled nuts, and the chrome automotive type nuts.

these are great people to deal with, and they have some of the best prices around on tires/wheels/combos.

speaking of nuts, do you know the difference between bar nuts and deer nuts?

bar nuts are $1.25
deer nuts are always under a buck:p

i think it suppose to be "beer" nuts.
good joke though if you are a hunter or not from the city.

snowormud
12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ERBE
Any one know where to go, been looking on the internet, only plase so far in in the UK, looking for something on US soil, better yet would love to find somewhere that sell them in Japan Specs, not english you know 6mm is 10mm wrench 8mm is 12mm wrench and 10mm is14mm wrench.

would be willing to also use Stainless Streel

Any one point me to the right direction?

Bolts are measured by thread size and not by the size wrench that is used to tighten or loosen them. this is for standard sae or metric.

ERBE
12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by snowormud
Bolts are measured by thread size and not by the size wrench that is used to tighten or loosen them. this is for standard sae or metric.
No Duhhh, there are 2 types of metric nuts and bolts, its not about the threads its the heads or the nuts, English UK version are 11mm, 13mm 15mm 17mm heads the Japan ones are 10mm 12mm 14mm so I would like to keep the same kind on the quad, nothing pisses me off while wrenching is looking for 6 different wrenches where as 3 do most of the work.

snowormud
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ERBE
No Duhhh, there are 2 types of metric nuts and bolts, its not about the threads its the heads or the nuts, English UK version are 11mm, 13mm 15mm 17mm heads the Japan ones are 10mm 12mm 14mm so I would like to keep the same kind on the quad, nothing pisses me off while wrenching is looking for 6 different wrenches where as 3 do most of the work.

why then are my lugnuts on my japanese honda quad a 17mm?
if this is an english nut size only????? also i have never used my 11mm wrench except when i could not find my 7/16th-almost the same. the bottom of my carb/float is a 17mm too and i would think if i looked hard, i might find a 13 or 15mm on my quad somewhere?

ERBE
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Standard Japan Nut heads 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm
Imperial English like my Bombardier DS650 11, 13, 15, 18, MM Blame Canada!!!!!

spent21
12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
while i understand what erbe is trying to say, there is no standard for metric bolt sizes. it is just a matter of coincidence. late 80's model chevrolets are NOTORIOUS for having BOTH metric AND standard fasteners on the pickups. tremendous pain in the ***. the majority of those metric bolts are something screwy like a 13 or 15 mm. it just happens to be that the majority of the fasteners on hondas are even sized (10, 12, 14mm), but as someone pointed out earlier, it isn't the RULE. i'm sure if you looked at tourqe specs of similar parts on the bomber and the 250r, i.e. head bolts, that the bombardier has slightly higher or lower requirements, therefore dictating the bolt size.

snowormud
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by spent21
while i understand what erbe is trying to say, there is no standard for metric bolt sizes. it is just a matter of coincidence. late 80's model chevrolets are NOTORIOUS for having BOTH metric AND standard fasteners on the pickups. tremendous pain in the ***. the majority of those metric bolts are something screwy like a 13 or 15 mm. it just happens to be that the majority of the fasteners on hondas are even sized (10, 12, 14mm), but as someone pointed out earlier, it isn't the RULE. i'm sure if you looked at tourqe specs of similar parts on the bomber and the 250r, i.e. head bolts, that the bombardier has slightly higher or lower requirements, therefore dictating the bolt size.
my 2002 gmc siera uses a 15mm on the oil drain plug.
its all mixed up nowadays.

ERBE
12-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by snowormud
my 2002 gmc siera uses a 15mm on the oil drain plug.
its all mixed up nowadays.
JIS: An Eastern Standard
JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. Because of their eastern origin, JIS bolts
are a type of metric bolt as opposed to the U.S. standard. JIS bolts reflect the
philosophies of design and manufacture many Japanese industries have become
world renowned for. With things getting smaller, so too do fastening standards need
to facilitate smaller parts.

The difference between JIS bolts and other metric bolts is the head size. Lighter,
more compact designs have necessitated the use of lighter, more compact fastening
accessories. Basically, ISO (International Standardization Organization and ANSI
(American National Standard) bolt standards use bigger heads than JIS types. Does
this make JIS types of bolts harder to find for Japanese motorcycles? Not if you know
where to look.