PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Carb Help

300exPat
12-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Ok so normally i'm good with this stuff but my friends raptor is really getting me aggrivated, its been sitting for two years and before that one of his friends who doesn't know much tried to rejet the carb. I put my battery on and sprayed starter fluid into the intake and it starts up fine, but the gas isnt going through the carb into the head.

I put new gas in and took apart the carbs and all the jets were the right size, I took each out and sprayed them with carb cleaner and cleaned the bowls. Now i put them back on and it still doesnt want to start, not with the throttle out or all the way in. Im thinking that he tried adjusting the floats and maybe they're sticking and not allowing any gas into the bowls or not enough. Has anyone had problems like this? any advice or ideas? He wants to just take it to the shop but I would really rather figure it out and get it done myself.

One more thing, the screws on the bowl were completely stripped so I got them out with needle nose vice grips... Does anyone know where I can get new screws? I checked the dealer but they didnt have any, i'd rather get stronger ones anyway.

thanks, pat

4TraxRider
12-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Too see if any gas is in the float bowls crack the drain screw and see if any gas comes out. Then that means there's gas in the floats and the needle valve is working properly. Other than that it would have to be one of the jets are still dirty.
My local hardware store had tiny allen key bolts that worked on my EX when i had it.

Nc02Raptor660r
12-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Mine sat for 2 years also. It took 4 carb cleanings to get it to start. Also you might want to check the valve clearance. if they get out of adjustment this can cause them to start sluggish