PDA

View Full Version : hd cam chain really needed

Grant Casey
12-07-2006, 02:47 AM
is a hd cam chain really needed for a 440ex soon to come. coz i got a stock one on order,

Jared Coderre
12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
If your looking for an opinion here goes...........

I just did the top end over on a buddy's 02 400ex.

When diassembling the top end we found the stock cam chain was completely stretched out. Admittedly he rides hard. What was was interesting was the tensioner was fully extended and there was still a lot of slack in the chain.

One of the posters on here suggested a 450R chain from service honda.com. (112 link) It is a heavy duty chain and after 5 hard rides I pulled the valve cover to recheck the head bolt toques and it hasn't stretched at all.

I am in process of upgrading the top end of my 400 ex and I bought one for it as well.

The best part is that they are half the price of a stock 400ex cam chain and twice as strong.

PismoLocal
12-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think that the CRF cam chain is a must, unless your planning on boring out your cylinder or moving to a higher compression ratio.
Its only $27, thats just a drop in the bucket compared to how much you spend on the rest of the motor. I put one in my motor. I spent near 1k on my motor and I'll be damned if it jumps time and grenades.

Wheelie
12-07-2006, 08:14 PM
It's cheap insurance.