PDA

View Full Version : 1997 TRX200D TypeII Carb help (Fourtrax

cna91
12-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Got a free honda, needed a cmplete rear end. Rear end all together, drove it around for a while, but the only problem was, that I had to run it with the choke closed. New problem. Bought a carb rebuild kit. (had old old fuel in it and smelled like turpentine) Also bought carb parts cleaner (the gallon jug to soak in) The good news is the carb looks brand new. The bad news is I can't keep it running. It will fire up and run only if I keep throttle in it. The second I let off, it dies. It does this no matter how I adjust the screws. It does it very consitantly, the same way every time, no matter how I adjust them. On initial start up, it has to be in choke to start, once it starts, I can open the choke, but it takes more throttle action to keep it running. There is no idle at all. I tried both the new jets and the old jets (cleaned), same thing. There is fuel in the bowl. Floats operate freely and new float valve installed. (old one looked like crap. All new gaskets, all new adjustment screws, new needle jet set etc...

Altitude 4500' I hope I didn't ramble too much or leave out any info, but if you can help me, I can sure use it. Thanks

cna91
12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
okay it is almost running with choke off now. I moved the needle to the second to the shortest setting (out of 5) I had it on the shortest setting and I got it to idle okay, but the overflow had fuel coming out. So I moved it to the second one. I just can't quite find the perfect mix on the screws. If I get it to idle low enough, it makes a sound like a knock, it slows down for a second and the increases RPM again and then the knock... Almost like it is getting too much fuel. I am close but no banana yet, any suggestions?

86 Quad R
12-11-2006, 06:35 AM
when ya cleaned the carb did ya blow all the circuits out with compressed air? have ya checked for air leaks? does the float level adjust on these carbs? are you running a fresh clean spark plug? are you for sure that the float needle is shutting the fuel off when the bowl fills?

cna91
12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
She's running great now, after all the tweekin I did, putting fresh gas made the biggest difference.

86 Quad R
12-12-2006, 06:16 AM
glad to hear it. taken care of that lil honda will last forever. :cool: