PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have exp. w/ wire in photo control for lights?

sly400ex
12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I want my lights around my garage to turn on when it's dark out. Not on a timer or by motion, by light, or lack of. Has anyone used or setup something like this at their home? Looking for feedback, thanks!

light sensor switch (http://www.elights.com/photcontunba.html)

csimp3
12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
i had to put up lights at my moms house that could come ion when it was dark, they had a built in sensor, also i have a little box that my christmas lights are plugged into that comes on when it gets dark, im pretty sure it has the same sensor as that thing in the link, makes everything easy cause you dont have to turn on the lights at night, or remember to shut em off, also that looks pretty easy to install

Aceman
12-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Sly, I use photocells all the time for work. They work great and usually last a long time. Just don't go over the recommended wattage or you'll burn it out. I don't know about that particular brand, the ones we use are made by Intermatic. When you get it mounted up, aim the photocell to the north.

sly400ex
12-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Sly, I use photocells all the time for work. They work great and usually last a long time. Just don't go over the recommended wattage or you'll burn it out. I don't know about that particular brand, the ones we use are made by Intermatic. When you get it mounted up, aim the photocell to the north.

Thanks for the info so far......

I've never setup something like this, that's why I need some advice. I'm going to be runnning 300W max, the switch is rated for 1200W.

When you say they last pretty long, could you give me a rough estimate? I could put a timer, which would be a lot easier, but I think doing this would be less maintenance after initial setup.

Thanks.

Aceman
12-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I can't tell you for sure because I personally haven't had to replace any I've installed yet. I would think 2+ years, maybe even twice that. I know we wouldn't be using them though if we had to change them out every year. I don't know the quality of the one your looking at but like I said Intermatic seems to make a good photocell.