PDA

View Full Version : Help me start my R

wagonproject
12-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Well I bought my 05 a couple months ago and only rode it maybe 4 hours due to school/work/girlfriend. Now I didnt start it from then to now which if I did I probably wouldnt be asking this, lol. But I went to start it tonight and it wouldnt fire. I dont think the plug could have fouled? There is gas in it and I think it should fire as its not that old... Any help? Sorry for the newbie question. Maybe answer my own question and take the tank off and drain it and put new gas in? Or possibly take it to the heated shop and let it sit and then try to fire it?

Punk'd
12-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Drain your carb, maybe its bad gas?

If that doesnt work try pop starting it.. You havent done anything motor wise have you?

ghott
12-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Did you choke it?

And yes...try some new gas. Gas can go "stale" after a long period of time.

wagonproject
12-06-2006, 07:52 PM
No motor mods, and yes I did choke it. Do I have to take the whole gas tank off to drain it? Sorry the manual is in Cali at my uncles house so I cant look stuff up right now.

12-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ghott
Did you choke it?

And yes...try some new gas. Gas can go "stale" after a long period of time.

Gas is sosposed to only be good for like a week after you get it. No one goes by the 1 week rule thing though. If any thing with a carb sits for a while the carb can plug up.

Did you turn the gas on?

Kill switch off?

Try to push start it?

12-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by wagonproject
No motor mods, and yes I did choke it. Do I have to take the whole gas tank off to drain it? Sorry the manual is in Cali at my uncles house so I cant look stuff up right now.

Its easier to just take the tank off but you can just disconect the fuel line and drain the gas out.

gbcap
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo
Gas is sosposed to only be good for like a week after you get it. No one goes by the 1 week rule thing though. If any thing with a carb sits for a while the carb can plug up.

Did you turn the gas on?

Kill switch off?

Try to push start it?

a week? umm? the newer gas goes bad after about a month. it starts breaking down and gunking up the works. if the bike sat for more then 2 months i would pull the carb off and take off the bowl and clean it. take the jets out and clean them and then you should be good to go. drain and put new gas in.

12-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
a week? umm? the newer gas goes bad after about a month.

I read some wear that it can go bad as fast as a week. Now i already ran 7 month old gas and all seemd well.