PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating Tips, Advice, and Opinions

MX26
09-16-2002, 02:54 PM
I've noticed a few of you guys on here do powdercoating. I was wondering if there is a Black/Chrome flake powder available yet? I've seen a red/chrome flaked frame before, and I know that I want my EX frame done in the black/chrome, or silver vein. Thanks in advance.

MX26
09-16-2002, 03:05 PM
http://quadforce.com/rebuild/MVC-131F.JPG

ChadEXer
09-16-2002, 04:04 PM
My frame is powdercoated super mirror black with chrome flakes in it,,,,everything else is mirror red with chrome flakes in it!

09-16-2002, 04:47 PM
PM chriswaters or kenny (400ex127)

chrome smoke with prizm is a sweet color, kind of what your talking about

MX26
09-16-2002, 04:59 PM
This (http://quadforce.com/rebuild.html) is the frame and quad I was talking about. I would love for my EX frame to turn out like that, but black with chrome chips. Expect chrome(top) and black(bottom) Housers, Elka's, black & white plastic, and lots of carbon fiber.

What do you guys think? Also, how much do you think it would cost for me to get a black/chrome and a clearcoat? Thanks alot.

stocktires
09-16-2002, 05:59 PM
Im doing the same. Jet black with red or silver sparkles or If its possible, black with redvein.
Im not sending it to chris, shipping a frame costs way too much. Im getting a local powdercoating shop to do it ($100 saved on shipping!).

Pappy
09-16-2002, 06:06 PM
the chrome smoke is normally a base coat...and may be a lil too light in color to show prism real well. the high gloss black rocks with prism....chris should have tons of pics of that stuff.

i am gettin ready to do a subframe in gloss black with red flake clear...i will post pics when i get it done.

the prizm or sparkles work best on darker colors...

shipping is outragous....if you can get a local shop to do special colors go for it....it will save ya a ton.

chrome smoke with clear is ...from what i understand is considered to be black chrome. i will try to find a pic and post it for ya

Tommy 17
09-16-2002, 06:11 PM
black with prism is awesome... i have it on my skid plate from pappy and i 1st saw it with just my kitchen light it looked like black with white dots i was like wtf walked out my door into the sun and was blinded by the 15 dif colors showing up! it be nice in red it hink also;) :D

Pappy
09-16-2002, 06:11 PM
here is a subframe in chrome smoke..its a bit darker in the sunlight

Pappy
09-16-2002, 06:13 PM
this the same color in direct sunlight...it looks almost identical to the street bike helmuts that are colored "black chrome"

Pappy
09-16-2002, 06:17 PM
the red prizm looks so sweet over black

Castor-426ex
09-16-2002, 06:58 PM
ive decided just to plasti-kote everything on my quad:D

ChadEXer
09-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by MX26
This (http://quadforce.com/rebuild.html) is the frame and quad I was talking about. I would love for my EX frame to turn out like that, but black with chrome chips. Expect chrome(top) and black(bottom) Housers, Elka's, black & white plastic, and lots of carbon fiber.

What do you guys think? Also, how much do you think it would cost for me to get a black/chrome and a clearcoat? Thanks alot. The chrome sparkles will be in the clearcoat itself! I had the frame black\chrome sparkles and everything else red\chrome sparkles and my header ceramic coated all for $200!! it will probably cost you around twice as much at most places!! they will probably have to special order the chrome sparkles!!
My camera really sucks so you cant really see the sparkles but they look real good,,,they almost look like prism(you see colors) when the sun shines directly on it!!!