12-06-2006, 03:07 PM
hey what are some specific mods i can do to my 250

i already have:
+3+1 American Star racing front end
with 400EX Shock conversion,
extened swing arm
+4 Durablue Axle,
Renthal handle bars

i highly recommend the 400ex conversion kit to every 250x, 300ex rider, IT HANDLES LIKE A CADILAC

my susppension is great

i am kidda new to performance parts. so i need some information about cams, rockers, high compression pistons. i want to know what they do and what are some good combos. what are some good companys that have good high performance quality, but at the same time arent to expensive. i might need to rebuild the motor and it seems like while i am in there i should put a new cam, bore to 80mm, spring job. i dont know how much fastere or H.P it will give me to do this. and if it is worth it. i want to at least rebuilt this so i can sell it. so what is your advise all you pros out there.

i only have 500 in it and if i put another 5-7 hundred in it i believe it would be worth around 3000

ANY ADVISE IS APRECIATED. i want to rebuild it this winter

wilkin250r
12-07-2006, 02:37 AM
As far as I know, the only company that makes a camshaft for the 250X is WebCams, and they are a hardweld cam so you would also need to send in your rockers to get hardwelded.

The 250X has really small ports and valves, they are almost too small for the stock size, let alone anything bigger. If you are only looking for a mild boost, you can leave the head alone. But if your goal is a fire-breathing monster, they good head porting is a must. It's expensive, a properly ported head (and maybe oversized valves) will probably run $400 minimum.

2muchquad
12-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Just a heads up since you are new to the atving scene,dont expect to get $3k from a 250x even if you put another 3 grand in it.check out www.powroll.com they have performance engine kits for the 250x;)

Moto250X_Rider
12-08-2006, 12:24 AM
yeah your not goin to get much for one...trust me i'm sitting on one thats all worked over fast as hell and sweet looking....just no one wants one....so it sits......there great quads...just don't do what i did and get in too deep that u can't make back your money....to the right person my quad is worth 3G.....but i'm lucky if i get 1900........and i'v bin asked if my quad was a 2003 300EX...

lol....yeah more like a 1987 250X

just to let u know befor u get in too deep.......

trust me.....sell it...get what u can and get yourself a 400EX or a half decent 450....maybe even a Z400........befor u go too nuts

Moto250X_Rider
12-08-2006, 12:36 AM
wilkin250R.....the 250X motor is the same as a 300EX ...the only thing the 300EX has on the 250X is a longer stroke.....the piston is the same size and all ...everything is but the stroke..the only thing different on the 250X it's a true 250cc.......and the 300EX is running at 289cc...or around there....i could be wrong so forgive me but i agree he is better off not dumping alot into it...and get something up to date.......he is just better off.....maybe 10 years ago i would have said yes...build on it....but it's not worth it now.......don't waste your money

bwamos
12-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Moto250X_Rider
wilkin250R.....the 250X motor is the same as a 300EX ...the only thing the 300EX has on the 250X is a longer stroke.....the piston is the same size and all ...everything is but the stroke..the only thing different on the 250X it's a true 250cc.......and the 300EX is running at 289cc...or around there....i could be wrong so forgive me but i agree he is better off not dumping alot into it...and get something up to date.......he is just better off.....maybe 10 years ago i would have said yes...build on it....but it's not worth it now.......don't waste your money

I don't see anything that Wilkin250r posted that is incorrect.

The 300ex & 250x both have undersized ports, undersized header, restrictive airbox, very very mild cam.

The 250x is 246cc
The 300ex is 282cc

Differences: Wiring Harnes, CDI, Battery, E-start vs Kicker, Crank Shaft, Rod, Both Sidecases, 1 Crankcase, and a couple other things I can't think of.

An ATV is like a car.. but even worse.. you'll never (rarely) get back what you put in to it.

He's already done chassis work, so a mild port job (a lot cheaper than a precise job w/ oversized valves), web cam, 11:1 piston, Rev limit increase, and a 400ex carb is as far as I'd go and I've seen people spend more money than that on bling. ;).

Beyond that.. upgrade to a 400ex or a 450. ;)

Moto250X_Rider
12-08-2006, 11:41 PM
true that.....maybe i read it wrong.....sorry....i probly did......

i'm good for that ;p

but i was just making a point that they are the same....well 95% of it is......

didn't mean to hurt anyones feeling :(

2muchquad
12-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Somethings value is really up to the individual.Now resale value is another issue.like i stated in a previous post,even if he had a 400 or a 450 he would still want to make it faster so there never is a ceiling really.A 300ex isnt worth much as far as resale value but mine since i built it from scratch starting with a bare frame off e turd is special to me.Thats the difference.So if you want to build your 250x a bit then go for it,understanding your RESALE value wont be much but you might not care,having built something special to you...PRICELESS:D