PDA

View Full Version : moly coating question

A A R O N
12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Would it be beneficial for me to moly coat a wristpin without doing anything else in the motor? I figure it can't hurt, but would it be a help at all to the longevity of the motor? (specifically because I have a yfz and I'm always paranoid about a wristpin failure)

fast_man58
12-06-2006, 02:35 PM
i dont believe it would fit after the coating. tollerances are extremly close. the pin is already case hardend, so it really would serve no purpose.

Pappy
12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
first off, once moly is applied and cured it can be buffed down until the color coat is completely gone and the metal will still benefit from the process.

there are TONS of engine and tranny parts in all types of engines that are moly'd, from simple engines to aerospace.

fast_man58
12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
pappy, what is the average material thickness in this process?

Pappy
12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
on an engine component, less then .0004 of an inch

fast_man58
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM
ahh that makes sense then. it was my understanding that it was closer to .001

Pappy
12-06-2006, 03:24 PM
you can apply it thicker depending on the application and the chemical make up of the type of moly your using.

the beauty in its that you can completely remove the color(i say color because the ONLY reason true moly is colored is so the applicator can see what is being sprayed) can be removed. some engine builders have told me they prefer to brun a piston, remove it, moly coat it, and reinstall. the manucfature states this is unnessary as the process penetrates the substrates surface and there for when the cylinder wears i, even though the color may seem worn away, the metal itself is fully protected.

i dont make any huge claims, but i do know that i can usually grab a hanging hook that has been molycoated at the end of a batch with my bare hands within seconds of turning off the oven and opening the door:p