PDA

View Full Version : Dirt or mulch?

Nate_450R
12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
im really wanting to get into freestyle but need something to start on. i was thinking about maybe a small tabletop to get started. maybe 10-15 foot? what would you all suggest?

also i was planning on dirt all up until today when i saw a pile of mulch on the side of the road. would mulch work ok? i know that it grips extremely well but just wanted some other opinions. also could i see some pics of your jumps? wanting to get some pics of what angle and lip i need. any suggestions? thanks...Nate

tmoney
12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
dirt, mulch is too soft and doesnt pack very well, mulching the face of the landing might not be a bad idea though

Samdogmx
12-06-2006, 06:59 PM
i agree much is too soft. It will rut up pretty fast.

Nate_450R
12-06-2006, 09:33 PM
i have rode on some mulch and didnt think it was bad...mulch wouldnt wash away near as fast though. i dont know, just a thought. i would be able to get mulch alot easier than dirt.

pharit
12-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Nate_450R
i have rode on some mulch and didnt think it was bad...mulch wouldnt wash away near as fast though. i dont know, just a thought. i would be able to get mulch alot easier than dirt.

it wouldn't pack that well man, its hard enough to get dirt to pack when your driving over it with a pick up and a bobcat.

trxridr
12-07-2006, 03:38 PM
i dont think that mulch would be a good idea. i had some on one trail just to get rid of and i rutted up pretty quick and it never packed down good

flyboy62
12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
go with dirt because it packs and it is not to soft like mulch. my bicycle jumps are made out of mulch and i have to fix them like every day and almost have to rebulid them when it rains!

BlasterEaten250
12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Landing on mulch is a very wierd feeling, you sort of sink in and slide around all over the place, kind of hard to describe it but it's weird. And yes it ruts up pretty bad. Something you can do though, pile up a ton of mulch in the shape you want the jump, and just put dirt on top of the mulch. That way the bulk of the jump is mulch, but you land on dirt.

This jump had a lot of mulch in it

pharit
12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
Landing on mulch is a very wierd feeling, you sort of sink in and slide around all over the place, kind of hard to describe it but it's weird. And yes it ruts up pretty bad. Something you can do though, pile up a ton of mulch in the shape you want the jump, and just put dirt on top of the mulch. That way the bulk of the jump is mulch, but you land on dirt.

This jump had a lot of mulch in it

well if he did that you'd have to put alot of dirt on top of it to make it settle well.

Nate_450R
12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
thanks guys, that was just a thought...thought it may work but if this many people are telling me it wont then it must not. haha. well thanks for telling me before i built it. could have been alot of extra work.

KingpinsEx
12-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Using mulch for the landing doesnt seem like a bad idea. Just mix it in with some dirt to give it a lil more support....