PDA

View Full Version : ex wont turn over

TRAV05
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
im having trouble trying to get my 400 ex to start , i have battery power because the lights all work but it wont turn over at all, any help would be great thanks

vett_09
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Does it sound like it's trying to crank, or is there no noise at all? Because your lights will work even if the battery is too drained to crank the engine.

exrider008
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
like vett_09 said the lights will still work if it dosnt have a full charge. it takes alot more juice to ture over ur engine then it dose to run the lights. put it on the charger for a day or u could just jump start it and see if it will charge itsself.

12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Get a friend, and each grab a tire on the same side - one on the front, one on the back.

Be sure to lift with your knees.

It'll turn over.

12-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by TRAV05
im having trouble trying to get my 400 ex to start , i have battery power because the lights all work but it wont turn over at all, any help would be great thanks

Oh, you meant "start"..... :devil:

Does it "catch" at all? If it sounds like it is trying to start, then you prolly have spark)

TO test for spark, remove the plug from teh cyl head (but not the plug wire) and hold the tip near a metal object while cranking. Spark should be visible. (Don't fry yourself)

If you have some spark, your ignition is OK. Go ahead and buy a new plug.

If its cranking slowly, its prolly the battery. Batteries typically go bad at the first snap of cold weather.

Take your battery to Autozone (or MC shop) and have them test it. They should do that for free.

If your quad has been sitting, it could be bad gas. Replace the gas.

Check gas flow. Turn off the gas, remove the gas line from the carb float bowl. Hold it away from the bike. Turn the gas on and then immediately back off. You should get a small splash of gas.

In short, eliminate the cheap easy thngs first.