PDA

View Full Version : Screwed for warrantee

akskidoo
12-06-2006, 03:41 AM
A friend of mine’s LTR started acting funny the last trip to the Dunes. When he hit the starter the motor acted like it was fighting itself and finally started after many attempts and almost dead battery. When he brought it to the shop, they said it jumped 2 teeth on the cams and also seized them. He was told that this happened due to operator error because he did not warm up the bike long enough or he did not break it in correctly. This is not true since he has had it for 6 months and has about 30 hours on it. Also the night it broke is sat idling a couple of minutes and driven around 15 MPH through camp a few miles before he hammered the throttle. It broke quite awhile after that as we went playing around. As of now they will not do the work under warrantee. Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere? It sounds like BS to me. I bought the same extended warrantee as he did, probably just like you all, was it worth it?

AL Elks
12-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I'd call straight to Suzuki and tell them the whole story.

CdaleXtreme
12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
My suggestion to him is, write up a claim, call Suzuki and foward it to the proper channels. Make sure you document your dealings, with your suzuki Dealer.

Be Civil, and level headed and you should get service above and beyond your expectations.

250r4life
12-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme

Be Civil, and level headed and you should get service above and beyond your expectations.

from suzuki? fat chance...

i think suzuki is in over their head on this one... all i ever read on all the sites is all the problems people are having with their bikes... you guys think i am biased, but i base my thoughts off what you suzuki people write...

rummerd
12-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I have heard of two. What you don't hear is all the people happy with the LT-R. I hope you can work things out with the dealer. Honestly, this is the internet, just because someone types it out, does not make it true. Not trying to get into a he said she said kind of thing here, but is the dealer a Suzuki only dealership, or do they sell other brands also? The dealer I bought from sells ski-doo, kawasaki, suzuki, honda and bmw. The service department is top notch and goes to bat for the customer. It is a big reason why I purchased from them, trust me, it is out of my way. I would definately want to see the motor opened up, not just take the mechanics word for it, they should not have a problem with that. If you have the extended warrenty, it should and most likely will get covered. 250R4life seems like a hater and must just not like the LT-R beating up on him or something.

250r4life
12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by rummerd
. 250R4life seems like a hater and must just not like the LT-R beating up on him or something.

:D

that must be it...
i feel the same way about polaris- let me guess, the predator smokes me too?

coryatver
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Take it to a different dealer

250r4life
12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
ps.... the only suzuki that has ever beaten me is the quadzilla...

and for having twice the cc's, they sure didnt beat me by much...

and those were junk too... we had a guy in our group back in the day, and he always used to bring a spare engine on big weekends at the dunes, cuz he could never get through a whole weekend on one engine...

rummerd
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
:D

that must be it...
i feel the same way about polaris- let me guess, the predator smokes me too?

I was thinking TrailBlazer, but yes, Preddy works for me too. C'mon, let's just lighten up here. I am pretty sure everyone will agree that the early Q-racer250's and the 'Zilla were pretty lacking on quality and realibility, but Suzuki has come an awefully long way in the last 15 years or so. I have been on Honda's forever, but this LT-R is pretty impressive. When I lived in Tucson, I had a long travel 310R, full ESR porting, pipe, etc. It was mighty fast, and reliable. I also had a Duncan "national" motor, fast and smooth, great bike, PEP suspension. I honestly have to say that my LT-R is a better bike in just about every catagory. Suspension needs a little work to be on par with most of the aftermarket suspensions I have been on, but not that much work. Right out of the box it is really good. Aside from the few people who have had problems, it looks to be pretty reliable. So far, none have caught on fire, right? The tranny issues have all been repaired under warrenty (to my knowledge) unlike the 01 Raptor, and I think most people will admit to landing on the shifter. Ride what you like and be happy.

AL Elks
12-07-2006, 12:05 PM
from suzuki? fat chance...

i think suzuki is in over their head on this one... all i ever read on all the sites is all the problems people are having with their bikes... you guys think i am biased, but i base my thoughts off what you suzuki people write...

I'll show you my receipts for repair work if you show me yours! :D

250r4life
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
I'll show you my receipts for repair work if you show me yours! :D

k... the only receipt i have had for repair work in years is from US chrome to get my cylinder re-nikasiled... other than that i do all my own work...

in fact, until august of 2005, my bike hadnt had a single repair done it it... i had put a couple upgrades on it, like a pipe and what not, put the bike had not been repaired... not too shabby considering its an '89... well, i take that back- if you consider sprockets and a chain repair work- i replaced those in july of 2002.

05Z400rdr
12-07-2006, 01:32 PM
k... the only receipt i have had for repair work in years is from US chrome to get my cylinder re-nikasiled... other than that i do all my own work...

in fact, until august of 2005, my bike hadnt had a single repair done it it... i had put a couple upgrades on it, like a pipe and what not, put the bike had not been repaired... not too shabby considering its an '89... well, i take that back- if you consider sprockets and a chain repair work- i replaced those in july of 2002.

hey 250r4life guess what........nobody really gives a ****! its crazy how people argue over the gayist things on an ATV website. so enough of that...

as for your problem with the dealer, i agree with Al Elks...call Suzuki, tell them the whole story...it may even help if you even call them when you are at your dealership...suzuki should take care of it..

250r4life
12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
hey 250r4life guess what........nobody really gives a ****! its crazy how people argue over the gayist things on an ATV website. so enough of that...

hey 05z400rdr- suck on deez...

if you'll notice al elks is the one that made the comment..

05Z400rdr
12-07-2006, 06:49 PM
hey 05z400rdr- suck on deez...

if you'll notice al elks is the one that made the comment..

yeah and if YOU notice YOU are the one that kept it going. so jus shut up, im not lookin to get in an argument about sumthin so gay i was jus stating a fact that some people get mad and argue about the stupidist things so jus let it go cuz obviously no1 cares

250r4life
12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
yeah and if YOU notice YOU are the one that kept it going. so jus shut up, im not lookin to get in an argument about sumthin so gay i was jus stating a fact that some people get mad and argue about the stupidist things so jus let it go cuz obviously no1 cares

ok, well by that same toke why dont YOU notice that YOU are the one that kept it going...

if no one cares then it shouldnt matter now should it?

ive never once gotten mad as a result of this website, or any other one for that matter...

AL Elks
12-07-2006, 07:56 PM

Who are you kidding. There is no way it's an 89 and you have only had the cylinder re-nickalsiled. The only way that would happen is if you NEVER ride it or you just putt around with it. Personally I ride mine like I stole it.

Everyone knows that two strokes require MUCH more maintenance than 4 strokes. Don't get me wrong they are sweet but due to the high maintenance they are not my cup of tea.

Like I said I'll show you my receipts if you show me yours. By the way I don't have any because I haven't needed any repairs.

250r4life
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Who are you kidding. There is no way it's an 89 and you have only had the cylinder re-nickalsiled. The only way that would happen is if you NEVER ride it or you just putt around with it. Personally I ride mine like I stole it.

Everyone knows that two strokes require MUCH more maintenance than 4 strokes. Don't get me wrong they are sweet but due to the high maintenance they are not my cup of tea.

Like I said I'll show you my receipts if you show me yours. By the way I don't have any because I haven't needed any repairs.

both i and my good riding buddy had stock original Rs... his was an 88, that he was the 2nd owner of and bought in '97. he rode the piss out of it, at least 10 dune trips a year each year, and went to the track and desert also... he just sold it about a month ago... go look at my past posts, probably something like "sweet 88R for sale"... you'll see that i was saying back then that the engine was 100% original- i wasnt just making this up for now...

i bought my 89 R, that was 100% original (down to the filter) in june/july of 2002. then in july/august, i put a paul turner pipe, a rad valve, and a K&N on it, as well as new sprockets and chain... and then i rode it, and i dont putt around, for several more years... in july of 2005, i purchased a duncan 265 pv kit, at which time i took the stock original piston and cylinder off of it... the 1st part of my bike to actually wear, was my rear end that i locked up in december of 2005... oh- and at that time i also replaced the chain. actually, before i put the 265 kit on, i decided i would replace my clutch. it was functioning fine, but i figured i would replace it in advance so i wouldnt have to deal with it going out, and possibly be stuck without a ride for the rest of a dune trip. my original basket was pretty chewed up (most likely from racing- launching in 2nd with the RPMSs pretty high will do that you you)...

there you have it boss... i personally know of two Rs that have been ridden hard, and were fine many many years later.. if you dont mess with them, use good gas and good oil at 32:1, they'll run forever...

like i said- go back and check other posts... i will have been consistent...

250r4life
12-07-2006, 08:56 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=256518

there you go... 2.5 months ago, same story as today...

250r4life
12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
a couple more for ya...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?postid=1819445#post1819445

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?postid=1872668#post1872668

250r4life
12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
either i am a really good liar, and have been setting myself up for over a year, or maybe an un adulterated R is that reliable...

rummerd
12-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Holy crap. This topic has really gone to ****.

250r4life
12-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by rummerd
Holy crap. This topic has really gone to ****.

ha ha ha ha :D

akskidoo
12-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I was amazed at all the replies then pissed at the same time when it turned into a personnel ***** session. I see they are senior members, but sure do not act that way. I am better than you; No I am better than you... Grow UP!!!! Someone is always going to be faster and better out there. He who has the deepest pockets in this game wins. WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

250r4life
12-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by akskidoo
Thank you all for the advice. I was amazed at all the replies then pissed at the same time when it turned into a personnel ***** session. I see they are senior members, but sure do not act that way. I am better than you; No I am better than you... Grow UP!!!! Someone is always going to be faster and better out there. He who has the deepest pockets in this game wins. WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

i guess i should act my age and not my shoe size huh? :devil:

fyi- senior member is directly associated with the number of posts, so it doesnt mean too much as far as age or maturity...

personally, i find it amusing at how many people get worked up over what other people write over the internet

AL Elks
12-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Well let's see. I have a 2003 LTZ with the following mods:

2003 LTZ400

Full Yoshi Pro, Comp stainless exhaust, ESR intake, Lukes Racing 450 Big Bore Kit , DRZe base gasket, Hotcams Stage II, FCR 40mm Carburator, DRZe carb to head boot, Needle on the 6th clip from the top, 198 main, 42 pilot, Fuel Mixture 3 turns out, 150 ft. Above Sea Level. DynaFS CDI. 14/38 sprockets

The only thing I have replaced is the clutch several times because I drag race quite a bit both on sand and asphalt. When I drag race I don't just run 5-7 times a day. I constantly race because the whole time I"m there as I have a blast doing it. Heck most people will only lineup against someone they know they can beat. I even line up with the guys I don't stand a chance to win with.

Haven't replaced anything else so that's reliability for you, especially for a highly modified engine.

In reality it's to each his own but you take a highly modified two stroke and a highly modified 4 stroke and there's no comparison in the amount of maintenance you will put into the 2 stroke vs the 4 stroke. I venture to say you would put more maintenance in to the 2 stroke. Now I'm talking wrench turning hours here and not money. I don't know of anyone myself that keeps a two stroke stock so that's where my experience comes from.

250r4life
12-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Well let's see. I have a 2003 LTZ with the following mods:

2003 LTZ400

Full Yoshi Pro, Comp stainless exhaust, ESR intake, Lukes Racing 450 Big Bore Kit , DRZe base gasket, Hotcams Stage II, FCR 40mm Carburator, DRZe carb to head boot, Needle on the 6th clip from the top, 198 main, 42 pilot, Fuel Mixture 3 turns out, 150 ft. Above Sea Level. DynaFS CDI. 14/38 sprockets

The only thing I have replaced is the clutch several times because I drag race quite a bit both on sand and asphalt. When I drag race I don't just run 5-7 times a day. I constantly race because the whole time I"m there as I have a blast doing it. Heck most people will only lineup against someone they know they can beat. I even line up with the guys I don't stand a chance to win with.

Haven't replaced anything else so that's reliability for you, especially for a highly modified engine.

In reality it's to each his own but you take a highly modified two stroke and a highly modified 4 stroke and there's no comparison in the amount of maintenance you will put into the 2 stroke vs the 4 stroke. I venture to say you would put more maintenance in to the 2 stroke. Now I'm talking wrench turning hours here and not money. I don't know of anyone myself that keeps a two stroke stock so that's where my experience comes from.

yah but it takes all that work on your bike to be as fast as a stock 250r :D sorry man- i couldnt resist :devil:

250r4life
12-08-2006, 09:23 AM

highly modified i actually think the 4 stroke requires much more maintenance...

what do you need to do on a 2 stroke? if you keep your air filter clean, and run good gas, and ride your bike often, you dont need to go through your carb all too often. you change your tranny oil every so often... change your coolant every once in a while... what else is there?

2 strokes are pretty simple... 4 strokes have a lot more moving parts, and consequently have more items that need to be maintained, suck as valve clearances and etc...

anyways... this is all neither here nor there... i just gotta give you suzuki guys a hard time... although i sincerely do feel that suzuki does not make the greatest bike (as far as quality), i dont desire that you guys have a lemon and get screwed on your bikes

Flynbryan19
12-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Yawn.......:o

250r4life
12-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Yawn.......:o

lol :D

AL Elks
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
yah but it takes all that work on your bike to be as fast as a stock 250r :D sorry man- i couldnt resist :devil:

To be honest If it weren't for the maintenance. I'd love to have a good 250r but I ride Extremely Hard and I'd be working on that thing constantly.

They are definitely fast. Not doubt about that! :)

So far though I only got the tranny wine once and it was just for a few seconds. Enough that it made me go out and buy the 4 year extended warranty. Now the LTZ has been awesome. It's taken everything I could throw at it and hasn't even flinched. I was a die hard Honda fan and the only reason I bought the Z was that it was water cooled and Honda didn't have one that was. I'm really happy with my decision.

OOPS! I almost forgot I am going to have to check out the tranny in the LTZ as I think I lost a tooth on 5th gear from drag racing. Hard to tell what really caused it though. I'll just have to get in there and find out.

250r4life
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
To be honest If it weren't for the maintenance. I'd love to have a good 250r but I ride Extremely Hard and I'd be working on that thing constantly.

i ride it as hard as anyone...

as long as you go and do everything all at once, then you would be fine on an R...

if you go put a big bore on it, you might as well go put a new OEM crank and rod assembly in it, and put in new yukon gears... if you do that you'll be golden and can go years of riding without any trouble..