PDA

View Full Version : proper break in

csimp3
12-05-2006, 09:57 PM
hey, im hopefully pickin up an ltr in the next few weeks and im wondering what the proper break in technique is on new motors, ive heard ride a while at half throttle, but ive heard lots of things, so anything will help, thanks

firefighterjosh
12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I herd let it warm up proprly and then just ride trails. All kinds of RPMs and alot of shifting to break everything. And don't dump the clutch and stuff. ALso do not hold it wide open. You can give it full throttle just don't hold it there. Also do not start it for 5 mins and turn it off, then 5 mins later start it agan and ride it 5 mins. I needs to go through heat cycles. Fully warm to fully cold.

vze2hnvz
12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Kind of controversial, but this guy actually has some good reviews backing up his theories:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Anyone on here ever had any "high velocity" porting done?

One_Bad_400
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
there's been 357,000 arguments about this, nobody REALLY knows, there are MANY different theories, I've tried the run soft thing with bikes and never had problems out of them, I've built a motor and took it directly to a race and ran the crap out of it, i've tried the run hard, run soft, run hard, run soft thing. Here's the bottom line, engines have a lot of crazy things going on inside them, sometimes they're gonna have problems, theres no way to know whether it had to do with the break in or not. Most people with quads will want to build the motor some eventually anyway so what does the initial breakin of the stock motor really matter? (you may not be plannin on doing that, but i'm just sayin...)