PDA

View Full Version : I NEED some SPECS on the PRED

Flamedtd
12-05-2006, 06:40 PM
okay, well im thinking about getting a pred 500 and i want some opinions! first of all what does it top out at? i have a 300ex and its way to slow for me to keep up wit my friends? Is the weight
really a big problem? and are ther alot of mods that you can do to it? ive heard its hard to find parts for. Also my friend says that the steering is a little hard to control, is that true? And one mor thing, why does it resale so low?

IT would be nice to get some answers fast so thankyou

troyleepred719
12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Flamedtd
okay, well im thinking about getting a pred 500 and i want some opinions! first of all what does it top out at? i have a 300ex and its way to slow for me to keep up wit my friends? Is the weight
really a big problem? and are ther alot of mods that you can do to it? ive heard its hard to find parts for. Also my friend says that the steering is a little hard to control, is that true? And one mor thing, why does it resale so low?

IT would be nice to get some answers fast so thankyou

i have an 06 tld pred. First of all, the steering isnt bad at all, and for me feels alot better than that of the r and yfz, although all have there benifits. I motocross my pred, and have to say the weight isnt that hard to manage, and to me dont make much of a difference, although everyone has there opinion. I for one have never had a problem finding parts, the only thing that is hard to find, would be graphics, but who needs them lol...all in all, itll keep up with the 450s, and if u put a pipe, filter and jet kit on it, they may be admiring that shiny led taillight of yours for a while ;)

smokinwrench
12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I have an 05 Troy Lee and it is great. I have never been outran in a drag race by a 450R with the same mods (pipe/intake). I race mine in harescrambles I am always at the front of the pack even running them iron man. The steering is great in my opinion. I have never needed parts for mine other then seat grommets, oil and filters. When I ride with friends around here, non of them can keep up with me and some have yfz's and Banshees with lots mroe mods then I have.

My theory on the low resale value is because new they cost about $1,500 less then a YFZ or 450R, so in turn they are that much lower on resale.

When I bought mine end of 05 it was $5,700 out the door for my 05 Troy Lee. I was also considering a 06 450R with the HRC kit already installed. They wanted $7,940 out the door for it. 450R had less suspension travel and no reverse.

Top speed is the same as all other new sport quads or close to it. Yes lots of mods are available, cams, pistons, carbs, carb mods, exhausts, swing arms, a arms, shocks.

Flamedtd
12-06-2006, 06:20 AM
okay thanks

Predatorguy88
12-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I made the same transition you are talking about, 300ex to Pred. It's not a bad machine. The weight is not a problem, it's a little more front heavy than most quads, but it's not bad, and once you get used to it, it's nothing. The power this thing has more than makes up for the weight difference. I haven't gone against any 450's, cuz no one around me has one, but i walk all over modded 400's all day long.

Parts aren't hard to find either, at least they weren't for me.

scramblerracer
12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Parts are getting easier to find everyday, but you will not find alot of cheap/sale parts for the preds as they just don't sell as many aftermarket parts for them as they do some of the other japanese quads. I love my preds steering, I recently raced the 6hr of Mo on a modded 400ex and I will keep the pred steering over that. The pred steering is more stable at speed. The pred starts faster than the elec. start hondas but slower than the yfz. This is important in dead engine start races. The preds are heavier but more durable overall. The P.R.O. steering is a pile- it works ok but the parts don't hold up to racing in the woods. JMO

Flamedtd
12-06-2006, 03:56 PM
thanks, its not sounding as bad as i thought now!

wolffie
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
everything that needs to be said has pretty much been said. i have rolled mine during a race and am happy to say that this machine will take a beating. however i personally feel it is NOT as fast as the 450's around a track. both the yfz and the trx are a bit lighter hence making them more nimble to control. with the newer 06 450's, a pipe and filter combo will make them that much faster. this is from a racing standpoint.

for a really really aggressive recreational rider, this machine is perfect. the TLD shocks are especially great because you can tune them with rebound, compression, and there is plenty of travel for your likings.

overall i am pretty pleased with my pred, but polaris does not have the best reputation for standing by their products. also where i live anyways there are not any great dealers.