PDA

View Full Version : Helpful plastic tip maybe?

4TraxRider
12-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I was just playing around with some old plastic and found something i don't think has been posted before, but I may be wrong. I had white side panels to a bike that were faded and scuffed from boots, branches and whatnot and got them to look like new. I gave them a light mist of WD-40 then used 400 grit wet sand paper and went over them very lightly for about ten seconds and they came out looking almost new. It took off all the haze and fade better than using water and sandpaper and only took about a mintute total to do all the old number plates. This may have been posted already but if it isn't it might help somebody with some really beat plastic looking for a cheap temporary fix. I don't know about doing different colors or anything but the white turned out great. I might do the front of a set of white R plastic that is about as clapped as can be and see if it works later on bigger peices like fenders and let everyone know how it comes out. If this is a bad idea for some reason that someone has found out let me know. I don't want to ruin somebodies plastic by mistake.

4TraxRider
12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Just finished a set of the dull white race cut R fenders and they came out great. Looks much better that before. Do not try this on glossy plastic, or dark colors unless you have access to a buffing wheel and a polishing compound. I tried an old black bike fender and as expected it took the shine off of it until you can buff it. It does work great on the high scuff areas on my LTR as well. I would not do it to the whole bike. Just where it is stained from boots and pants rubbing.