PDA

View Full Version : Production flaw?

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 04:05 PM
This is my Houser swing arm. It lasted 2 seasons befor it cracked. It looks like the cracks started on the welds. I think this looks like a bad design, or a production flaw. Either way I don't think it should have done this. Good thing this is on my old race bike, and not the new one.

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 04:06 PM

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 04:07 PM

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 04:10 PM

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 04:10 PM

1fst400
12-05-2006, 06:16 PM
want to sell it?

rollie
12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
did you try calling Houser to see if they would do anything for you, im sure they would, everything ive heard about there customer service has been positive

Honda#4
12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
you must have cased a big jump with that thing.

firefighterjosh
12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
At least you caught it before it snapped

:o

F-16Guy
12-05-2006, 08:12 PM
I would send that to Houser. Nobody's design is perfect, and I'm sure they would really appreciate having that to improve future products. They should definitely compensate you somehow, though. My advice would be to approach them in a positive way like you're trying to help them out, not "hey, your product sucks. Give me a new one for free".

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah I want this to be a positive thing. I only posted it here to see what others thought about where the cracks started at. I raced XC on this so I don't think it was from airing it out. I am going to call Houser about this and see what they say. Its not that big of a deal any more as I have a new quad for next year, but just wanted some others to look and give thier thoughts. Ill be sure to let everyone know how things turn out.

400exrider707
12-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Well all metal fatigues over time and will eventually yield. It happens. Call them up and see what they say. I would send pics of it to and see what they think. If its a few years old they might have already updated the design. A weld, when done correctly, should be stronger than the material. Pretty interesting though. Also what were you running for suspension. A lot of times companies test their product a certain way, and then when a customer uses it, it gets used totally different. Point in case the linkage on the new LTR's. Suzuki probably did extensive testing on it, but could have never possibly tested it with a different linkage on it. It probably put completely different stress' on it. Just some food for thought.

motoboy66
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah i thought about the shock setup, but its not different than what I ran on the stocker for 2 years. It is all stock except the shock was revalved and set up for zps by TCS. I sent them an e-mail and the pictures. I let everyone know what I find out.

Ex_Rider43
12-05-2006, 09:40 PM
You should see my walsh savior swingarm :eek2:

Nate walsh told me that swingarms take so much of a beating that they cant last , They would have repaired it but they couldnt replace it.

sammy5x
12-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I broke my Houser swinger in seven spots this year and know of many others that broke theirs as well. I put the stock one back on and have not had any problems since.

JW450R1
12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
let us all know how u made out with houser.

IOWAracer
12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
what skid plate were u running and was that where it bolted up?

my stock swingarm on my yfz is cracked from where my skid bolted up as it would hit rocks it broke down into the metal..

broc bromley

bwamos
12-08-2006, 07:21 AM
That would make the most sense.. that's the only way I could think of that the top part of the swinger at that location would get stress fractures. That area should be compressing, not seperating.

motoboy66
12-08-2006, 08:44 AM
I ran an Armadila, the same one that was bolted to my stock swinger for over a year. I used the swing arm mounts made into the Houser swing arm. The bolt holes were not near where it cracked.

TheFontMaster
12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
well if they don't refund it, or offer to fix it, then I would just weld it back together, grind the metal smooth, and make up a gusset to weld on over where the cracks were.

firefighterjosh
12-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
well if they don't refund it, or offer to fix it, then I would just weld it back together, grind the metal smooth, and make up a gusset to weld on over where the cracks were.

Another thing to add if they don't take care of you is... east coast ATV buys bent and broken parts.

quad313
12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Well all metal fatigues over time and will eventually yield. It happens. Call them up and see what they say. I would send pics of it to and see what they think. If its a few years old they might have already updated the design. A weld, when done correctly, should be stronger than the material. Pretty interesting though. Also what were you running for suspension. A lot of times companies test their product a certain way, and then when a customer uses it, it gets used totally different. Point in case the linkage on the new LTR's. Suzuki probably did extensive testing on it, but could have never possibly tested it with a different linkage on it. It probably put completely different stress' on it. Just some food for thought.

what he says is true......I work with metal.

motoboy66
12-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah I know metal can fatige over time. I just don't like how all the cracks started on welds. There are 4 welds, 2 on top and 2 ont he bottom. ALL but one had a crack. I know I put it through hell for 2 years of racing, but my stock swing arm did the same thing and it is fine. It does not really matter, I have heard nothing back from Houser, and I have rewelded this and it will stay on the 400 as a back-up race bike. Other than a buddy borowing the bike occationaly it will not be riden all that much.

quad313
12-13-2006, 04:17 AM
If they broke at the weld then the welds were not 100%.

ThumPIN_450R
12-14-2006, 08:00 AM
That's not all that bad if you got 2 years out of it. My friend cracked a lonestar tightening down the bearing carrier after adjusting the chain after his first ride on it.

440xcex
12-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by sammy5x
I broke my Houser swinger in seven spots this year and know of many others that broke theirs as well. I put the stock one back on and have not had any problems since. Couldn't have said it better myself,i know SEVERAL people i race xc with who have broke Houser swingarms.it wouldnt hurt to call them though.

sammy5x
12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I was laughed at when I called. No joke. I was also laughed at when my ball joints siezed up on me on the first ride on their a-arms a couple of years ago years. I have been using Leager's ever since. Leager's fit perfect, have the best geometry, last the longest, perform the best, and they take their business seriously.

440xcex
12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by sammy5x
I was laughed at when I called. No joke. I was also laughed at when my ball joints siezed up on me on the first ride on their a-arms a couple of years ago years. I have been using Leager's ever since. Leager's fit perfect, have the best geometry, last the longest, perform the best, and they take their business seriously. Chris Borich likes his to!:macho