PDA

View Full Version : My streetbike powered rhino - video!

400grl
12-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Here is a clip of me messing around in the little dunes at Thanksgiving in my CBR powered rhino.......:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwch9-fNl8

dur911bleh
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
haha that thing sounds like it packs a punch :chinese:

one question though.. did you have sand tires on there? Are they really needed for rhinos? ..just wondering because im going to be picking one up soon and im really interested to see how good it runs in the sand heh

400grl
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
No, I know alot of rhinos that run the dunes without paddles...i dont have 4wheel drive anymore, and I have alot of power, so I thought it would be fun to run the paddles - they were great, actually - but don't buy them if you don't want to - not a biggie......just air down your stock tires! :)

dur911bleh
12-06-2006, 04:35 AM
Alright thanks for bringing me up to speed on that. Yeah, as you can probably tell i have never riden in or driven one as of yet. Should be fun though!

btw, are the stock tires any good? I figured they'd probably be one of the first things to go.

400grl
12-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I would have no problem running the stockers for a while....people buy new tires because they just look better alot of the time......if you do ALOT of dune riding, you might want to buy some tires that are made more for the sand........

quadmaster88
12-06-2006, 11:41 AM
got any videos of a straight line? didnt look very impressive but sounds cool

400grl
12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Not yet......I was running about 80mph all the way from Glamis to Ogilby, though.....so it hauls, and that was 6th gear at only about 6000-7000 rpms.......but I don't have video of that. It also climbs Patton with two people with no problems at all...................

This video was just an afterthought after we'd been duning for a while.......I just like how it sounds on this clip...... :D

Pro Wrench
12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Sweet ride! I saw footage of a Rhino with a Yamaha V-Max engine stuffed in it that ran Baja. I think it DNF'ed maybe. But it was very impressive.
My Rhino will get 55 mph on flat land. No big open sand dunes to use it on around here though, just big hills.
I use to live in Phoenix, Chandler & Queen Creek. I miss home & will return when I can.

Merriman
12-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Nice.

But how come I never see you out there. I look for you guys, but we seem to never meet up:p

BTW I have a stock rhino with a CDI, and when I air down I can climb pattons and almost any other dune with 2 people. Although I am sure its not as fast as yours;)

400grl
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey Levi!! We go all over the place - can't believe you haven't see us out there yet!!!:)

I have seen a few Rhinos plugging their way up Patton......no doubt they can do it if they are aired down and have a good driver! ;)

Is that your build in the other thread?? nice!

Merriman
12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Well my brother "Tore up" is doing the main build. And that is on my cousin's Rhino. I help when I can, but I am also building some parts for mine, and my other friend john's rhino.

firefighterjosh
12-11-2006, 10:25 PM
I love it!!! AWESOME Rhino.

bubsyfz450
12-14-2006, 01:40 PM
pretty nice. i remember you raced it at glen helen once. whyd you guys stop racing quads? are you just doing rhinos now? whats up with that? haha
Bubba

400grl
12-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey!! Well, I sorta raced it at GH - lol!!! I didn't know how to drive it well yet, and I broke my steering rack.....and my chain came loose.......bummer day......although I got to talk to Mike Metzger that day - that was cool! I am way better at driving it now - got lots of seat time on it now......:devil:

I stopped racing quads....but Jason still races. I got burnt out, and I have two great, patient, sweet kids that let me drag them around to practice twice a week for years, and to the races on weekends......and I just felt I needed to chill out and be a good mom.... plus, I had 5 years of not getting seriously injured, and I felt my time was coming......so I decided to chill on the quad racing for a bit. I will be racing my rhino in the desert races now......and maybe I'll race a quad or two here or there.......I still love to ride......:D We will still be at some quadcrosses taking pics and stuff, too - I love that series, and I couldn't stay away from it for long.....;)

Merriman
12-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Corry,

With your motor, will they let you race it in a rhino class in the desert?

I know most organizations won't allow it:confused:

400grl
12-14-2006, 10:05 PM
I have been in contact with all of the organizations since last year, and yes, they will allow it. SCORE, BITD, WORCS, and Whiplash....and ITP...... :D

tore up
12-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Under what class?

400grl
12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
From what I understand, I can race SCORE in the UTV class (however, I have been trying to find out if I can score points for SCORE or not - doesn't matter, I am not racing the series....just want to do the Baja race)

BITD - as of right now, engine swaps can race in the Sportsman class until they decide if they want to make another class for them.....

WORCS - the rhino class

ITP - the rhino class

Whiplash - the UTV class

86350x
12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Cool Rhino, times are a changing.

bansheemorphine
01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
is there a build thread on that thing i'd really like to see what makes it tick, are you running chain drive or shaft? and how? haha

400grl
01-16-2007, 07:21 PM
It's a chain drive - front sprocket to a jackshaft, jackshaft to rear drive shaft.....I have billions of pics of this build, and full details - I just haven't gotten around to putting everything on the web.....

mephyst
01-19-2007, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Here is a clip of me messing around in the little dunes at Thanksgiving in my CBR powered rhino.......:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwch9-fNl8

I saw you out there Thanksgiving!!!! I had a great time until I broke my back the day after on that Friday afternoon!! :mad:

400grl
01-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Oh man - what happened??

mephyst
01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I was on a hard ride for about 2 hours with a couple breaks in between and we were on the way back to camp just cruising towards the washes, and with all the dust we lost each other so i ended up finding one buddy and following his dust cloud. I am normally a master of the woops (on my 450 anyway and I happened to be riding my ex at the time), but i just happened to hit one wrong and it through me over the bars. Crushed my t-7 vertebrae 2/3. I actually road back to camp and the ambulance arrived within 5minutes. (it was about a half mile and i went probably 2mph the whole way all hunched over with one arm on the throttle...) It sucked big time... I was able to feel my legs and everything right away because that was the first thing I checked. I didn't get any nerve damage... Hmm I had to wear a brace for about 4-5weeks and I started going to the gym last week. My progress has been amazing... and I plan to ride President's Day at Dumont Dunes!!!!!! :)

Couple pics...
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/1476276606_l.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/img010.jpg

Brace...
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/heroooo.jpg

It wasn't a pleasant experience... :rolleyes: I just feel very fortunate to still have all the abilities i had before...

400grl
01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
It looks like your 400ex tagged you in the back with it's bumper! Glad you are OK!

mephyst
01-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks. :) Yeah, we still aren't sure exactly what all the marks were. That's a crappy pic, but I have a scar where its really really pinkish/red. I was wearing my chest protector as well and it cracked. =[ I honestly think that thing saved my life.

250RGUY
01-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I know your asking him for the cost, but that thing has a CBR motor in it so you'll need more than just accessories to get one like his.

400grl
01-29-2007, 09:33 AM
You mean, like hers......:D The motor itself wasn't that expensive.....I actually sold my rhino engine for the price i paid for the CBR engine....but it's all the fabrication that went into the whole drive system that makes it pricey......

250RGUY
01-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Ooopps...Hers....now I'm in love.... JK

400grl
01-29-2007, 09:47 AM
lol :D

rancid
02-11-2007, 06:22 PM
lets see some of your build pics, i got a solid axle rhino project that i was going to use a raptor engine for. but im going to sell it and get a bike motor, so i could use some pics. thanks

450robot
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by rancid
lets see some of your build pics, i got a solid axle rhino project that i was going to use a raptor engine for. but im going to sell it and get a bike motor, so i could use some pics. thanks

same here, im think of a SRA project too.

althought rancid, i think she has a chain drive back to a carrier mounting with axles (like the polaris outlaw)

400grl
02-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I have pics, but I haven't ever really posted them.......yes, it's a chain drive system - with a jackshaft, actually - so I have a solid rear axle driving the rhino. Two wheel drive.......

What's an SRA project? Just wondering....

rancid
02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
i think he means solid rear axle, mine will have a full tube chassis, suzuki samurai solid front and rear axles with the motor mounted sideways. with a chain leading down to a jackshaft, wich will have driveshaft u-joints attached to it with 2 small drivelines. i will also use the samurai brakes and steering parts. it will be very low geared to allow the high reving 05 gsxr 600 motor to run a bit slower, and push thw 31" swampers. the axles will be attached with a 3 link system and nitrogen filled shocks. as long as it hits 80mph i will be happy.

400grl
02-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds VERY cool!!! Have you started this yet? I was running a HUGE rear sprocket, and got really good low end from my CBR.....there will still be a powerband to contend with, however....but it's real drive-able. I am actually in the process of putting in a new motor in my rhino......I'll post more about it when it's done! :D

rancid
03-10-2007, 07:39 PM
got any pics yet, i would love to see your rhino and how the motor is mounted and how the shifter and clutch linkage is setup.

400EXTRA
03-16-2007, 04:04 PM
looks like a ton of fun