View Full Version : auto to manual trans in mustang

Jake250ex
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
I am about to trade my quad for a mustang and I will be putting a manual trans in it. How hard is it and what will I need? Thanks

TGW_400ex
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Probably should just look for a manual. It will probably save you alot of time and money.

jrspawn
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Swapping them over isnt hard at all to do. Just make sure you have all the parts needed to do so.

Justin

underpowered
12-05-2006, 11:57 AM
it can be pretty labor intensive. you will almost another donor car for parts. not only will you need teh trans, but pedals, master cylinder, clutch arm, and other parts all would have to be installed in teh new car. also, depending on the year, many cars have different tuning programs between an automatic and a manual transmision so you may need the ECU off of a manual car to get everything to work correcly and to keep it from throwing a code.

wilkin250r
12-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Not to mention the transmission oil cooler, speedometer cable and mounting, and then the little things like the transmission fluid dipstick and stuff, many of them use different driveshafts.

Yes, manual transmissions are more fun in sports cars, and at first you wouldn't think the swap is all that difficult, right? Weld some new tabs, cut the floorboord for the shifter, and off you go burning rubber. Unfortunately, it's just not that simple, you're better off keeping it automatic.

1fastR
12-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn
Swapping them over isnt hard at all to do. Just make sure you have all the parts needed to do so.

Justin

if its not so hard then please explain to all of us how easy it is then:o

I would just look for a manual from the get go

2004-400ex
12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
i have seen it done in a dakota r/t but you must do alot of work and it cost the kid around 3500-4000$

Scott-300ex
12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
I JUST DID THIS LAST NIGHT ON A 93 5.0 MUSTANG!

I've done 2 clutches in my car so this kid was makin it/ my friend, an auto to a stick, so he wanted me to help him.

Take off exhaust(if you need to), driveshaft, AOD tranny, torque converter, flywheel, tranny oil lines, tranny cooler, kickdown linkage. You don't need these anymore.

Put in new flywheel, clutch, LOCK TITE PRESSURE PLATE OR IT WILL COME LOOSE AND YOU'LL NEED A NEW CLUTCH, install T-5, driveshaft, exhaust, crossmember to tranny.

In the car, pedal, quadrant, then feed the cable threw the firewall to the clutch fork.

YOU DON'T HAVE A MASTER CYLINDER.

Get the nuetral saftey switch bypassed and roll out.

I did this all last night in 20 degree weather, wut fun.

If you need any help ask me. I've done lots of tranny's/ clutches, an auto to stick conversion will take 10-16 hours, if you have experience.

jrspawn
12-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by 1fastR
if its not so hard then please explain to all of us how easy it is then:o

I would just look for a manual from the get go

Do you feel better after that sarcastic post:o :huh ? If you feel the need for me to explain step by step i can. The last post is a pretty good overview of it all.

Justin

SGA
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes as said above it can be done. But its ALOT of work. I highly recommend finding a mustang with a manual in it already, theres a ton of them out there for cheap.

Rastus
12-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Not to mention, it wouldn't be long before you'd be taking that T-5 back out again. :(

Villageidiott23
12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
i dont think so the tremec t5 is not that bad.... i put 60,000 miles on my 87 fox body on a tremec until the gear syncros went out. and it still drove. just couldnt drag it...

Jake250ex
01-06-2007, 10:13 AM
thanks guys and sorry for bringing up and old post, but it looks like Ill be doing this soon.

SO, let me get this straight. I need the trans, master cylinder, clutch arm and what all esle? There wont be interferance with any electronics and the stock driveshaft will work?

My dad is a mechanich and a fabricator and I work at a huge body shop so I have all the right recources. How much do you think it will cost me?

Architects
01-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Its not a master cylinder its a slave cylinder for the clutch. But even so I dont think older mustangs used one. I think they used a cable/linkage.

Id just get a manual car from the get go. It would make things sooooooo much easier

JessetheKid
01-06-2007, 11:35 AM
If you do not want to tackle the tranny swap you could put a B&M or Hurst auto slap shifer, they are fun and do not require much skill to install and they are less than 200bucks.

SGA
01-06-2007, 02:56 PM
If your minds made go for it. Its been done plenty of times. Lets us know how it goes.

Scott-300ex
01-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
thanks guys and sorry for bringing up and old post, but it looks like Ill be doing this soon.

SO, let me get this straight. I need the trans, master cylinder, clutch arm and what all esle? There wont be interferance with any electronics and the stock driveshaft will work?

My dad is a mechanich and a fabricator and I work at a huge body shop so I have all the right recources. How much do you think it will cost me?

I already explained everything you need, I've done this before along with many other clutches.

You don't need a master cylinder.

Tranny, shifter, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, bellhousing, pedals, quadrant.

I'll help you if you need help.