PDA

View Full Version : help!!wont runafterhalf throttle

ajay002
12-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Maybe somone can help i am stuped..... I have an 05 450. i have replaced the crank, valves, and put in a hot cam stage 1. i also have a full system hmf. i have a after market filter and a 180 jet. It will start and run but if u hit half throttle it just dies.. Like it has no spark. If you wait a little bit you can kick it and it fires back up. it will always fire on first or second kick. I have put a different carb on it. does the same thing.. I have bought a new coil. does the same thing. The valves have the right clearances and even the decompressoin lever. I am stumped at what it could be. right after it dies you can take out the plug and ground it to the frame and it doesnt spark. Give it a little bit and it will sparK..... I have made shure its getting fuel. the key is turned on and when u turn on the lights while riding they work. they work when it dies untill you stop. and they comon while you kick.. so it is getting electricity while kicking. if anyone could help ??? I have spent more than 4 wks trying to get this bike running... any help at all would be more than appreciated. thanks

ghott
12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Looks like you have gone thru the works to get this thing operating properly.

What is your current jetting? I saw that you said it has a 180 main jet, but what about the pilot, needle, and A/F Mixture screw?

How does your air filter and intake boot look?

I was thinking maybe it was a float bowl problem, but if you tried another carb...that is kind of ruled out.

hemp450r
12-05-2006, 10:20 AM
airbox lid on or off? maybe it's flooding? when it does fire up again is there alot of black smoke? is the pipe really wet inside? have you tried changing the plug? i don't think your pilot jet would have anything to do with it if it idles properly, mix screw could possibly present a problem. maybe your needle has wrong taper?just a few ideas that come to mind, hope they help

ajay002
12-05-2006, 10:46 AM
its an hrc lid. when u pull the plug it is not wet. it is the perfect color. dont smoke. and ive tried like numerous new plugs. it has to be electrical.. it gets the fuel and the air.. you can ride alday long under half throttle.. i can even climb hills. but once i smash it in third it just quits. it dont back fire, dont pop . it just dies like u turned the key off. what happends on an r when the rev box is going out???? could it do this.. ive herd of them just poppin alot if they start to go out .. its a stock box but could that be it? I dunno.. thnks

ghott
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Check all of the wires running to/from the coil and CDI, and anywhere else you can find!

Make sure they are all in good shape.

One of the wires may have a slight cut in the rubber around the wire, and the wire could possibly be hitting the frame, or some other metal part, causing a short.

ajay002
12-05-2006, 11:02 AM
one step ahead.. opened the most stressed parts of the harness and checked all wires .. looks awesome. no burnt, crisp or broken.. also unpluged repluged every wire.. why cant u be phycic and just fix it over the net hahah.. man i dunno.. all i can think of is maybe the kill switch or the rev box.. but it cant be the kill switch unless it has a safty that shuts it down over half throttle???? is that poss.. the kill switch was a lil loose so we pulled it.. left the wires appart so they dont touch. ??? thx

ghott
12-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Geez...I'm running out of ideas :(.

Cam timing dead on?

Do you have a buddy with a 450R that you can swap CDI's with?

ajay002
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
well i have a buddy with an 07 but theere difff.. the other guy i know who has an 04 is in the army at basics. and the other that has an 05 is in a firend of his shop locked up and that dude is outa town. haha so :) i ll have to wait till somone gets back haha

ghott
12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I sent you a private message.

ricks450
12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
HOW LONG DOES YOUR BIKE RUN AT A TIME? IT KIND OF SOUNDS LIKE WANTS THE BIKE WARMS UP. SOMETHING STARTS TO BREAKDOWN ELECTRONICLY. AND WHEN IT COOLS DOWN IT FIRES BACK UP. I WOULD TRY STICKING A SPARK TESTOR ON IT AND SEE IF IT IS LOSING SPARK WHILE YOUR RUNNIG YOUR BIKE. IF SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU STAND.IGNITION, IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME. YOUR IGNITION BOX COULD HEATING UP AND BREAKING DOWN AND COOLS DOWN AND STARTS WORKING AGIAN. SEEN THAT MANY OF TIMES, NOT ON A 450 BUT A ALOT OF OTHER THINGS .

ricks450
12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
[/B][/QUOTE] THE TPS SENSOR ADAVANCES THE TIMING MORE AS YOU PUSH THE THROTTLE. THE TPS IS A VARIABLE SWITCH.IT IS POSSIBLE IT COULD BE THAT, LIKE YOU SAID. I WOULD TRY A DIFFERENT CDI OFF OF ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS BIKES. IT COULD BE BREAKING DOWN ONCE YOU GET IN YOUR PARTIAL THROTTLE CURVE. 05 CDI MAYBE 04 CDI NOT SURE IF THEY CHANGED ANYTHING. TRY IGNITION BOX TO.

QuadRacer041
12-05-2006, 05:41 PM
check your timing marks and make sure they are right on.

honda4life72
12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
got enough gas in it? check the gas lines that run to the carb...put it on reserrve and ride it

ajay002
12-05-2006, 10:36 PM
tried reserve.. will run as long as i want it to .. till i hit half throttle. i have changed carbs so its not tps. just when half throttle it dies like it has no spark.. you can pump the throttle and smell the fuel so its gettin fuel.. i dunno

ricks450
12-05-2006, 11:01 PM
IF IT AINT YOUR CDI IT PROBABLY IS IGNITION MODULE OR PICK UP MODULE WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. LOCATED ON CRANKSHAFT UNDER THE MAGNETIO.TRY CAN AIOST GUARANTEE THAT IS IT.

whoamack22
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
lol aubrey should have got a yammie lol

whoamack22
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
im kidding bro i hope you get the black beast going soon

450rcrazy022692
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
My best bet is piston or Pilot. I have a 250r that would run spent 800 on useless **** thinking it was that but all i needed was a piston

ajay002
12-08-2006, 10:34 PM
actually wasnt piston. b/c when i replaced my crank i would have changed it if it was messed up.. turned out to be the pulse generator... :) thx for all the info tho... every little bit helps.. eric u need to ride dude.. get off your but and get a lil cold ... teresa said so ... member yammies rule??/ wtf???? o god.. hahah n e way cya out there budddeee....

mustangflyboy
12-09-2006, 06:33 PM
ajay002 I sent you a PM.