PDA

View Full Version : Rancher wont move

Locknload82
12-05-2006, 06:10 AM
we have a 2000 rancher 2 wheel drive manual shift that wont move. you put it in gear, forward or reverse, wont move. I pulled the boot back where the drive shaft comes out of the engine and back through the swingarm and the driveshaft is not turning.

There is no grinding or nosie of any kind in the transmission. Did some thing come loose in there? Anyone have an Idea whats wrong? We were riding in a lot of snow when it happend, dont know if the snow could have gotten into something and messed it up?

bradley300
12-05-2006, 06:54 AM
clutch possibly?

Colby@C&DRacing
12-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Could you really feel it go into gear or does the shifter feel really easy to move? if it feels normal bradley is right, could be the clutch. Most of the time the clutch will slip before just giving out but, It sounds more like a small problem in the tranny not a major one (major problems make alot of noise and you know when it happens)

2muchquad
12-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I believe its a selector switch of some sort,i have heard of this on several ocassions.Call your honda shop and ask them about it,on the electric shift models they had a recall on them,i guess there is a burr or something on the shifter shaft of some sort that came from the factory,its not a major fix though.Check around online people have had this problem.;)

Locknload82
12-05-2006, 01:34 PM
This is a manual shift model, have heard about the switch problems on the ES models, assumed this doesnt apply to a foot shift.

went out and put the heater on it and thawed it out good. jacked up the back end and the tires would move very slowly forward and reverse. adjusted the clutch and now the tires will move a lot faster with it jacked up, but if I put it back on the ground it will no longer move. I suppose this means the clutch is burnt up?

How hard is it to replace the clutch in a rancher? Dont have a service manual, thought about ordering one and doing it myself. any special tools required? Do you have to pull the motor to do it? This has the motor mounted sideways and the clutch is in front.