PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Antifreeze

Crazy Diamond
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I bought my 03 KFX in March when it was warming up. It had low hours on it but I noticed it had a little antifreeze dribble dried up under the water pump. I cleaned it off and watched it for a while and no leak. Now that it has cooled down again I noticed it is leaking again. Anybody else have this problem? What is the fix?

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
They are known for this. I belive it is made from magnesium and the coolant eats it away. Not sure what the fix it yet. Never had it happen to my GFs quad.

PeeWee21
12-05-2006, 04:39 AM
His is an 03 Josh, only the 05's and 06's had the Magnesium covers. It sounds like the oring gasket is bad or the mechanical seal behind the impeller is bad.

indyZrider
12-05-2006, 05:41 AM
yep im willing to bet its the mechanical seal for the impellar!

jonboy
12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
I had this very problem a few months back. There is a thread on it here. (you'll have to dig for it) Mine was a rare occasion, the Impeller broke a couple fins off( ??? I dont know how!) But this damaged my mechanical seal as well. I got a new billet impeller from Pro Design and replaced the mechanical seal and the O'ring cover seal. Typically if the mechanical seal fails so does the O'ring seal. My advice to you is 1st if you dont have one already, get a repair manual. This is a very simple task but you still need one. 2nd go ahead and order the seals. They have to be shipped from suzuki and they take a while.( at least mine did, almost a month) Your dealer may have them. You can check the impeller and O'ring seal by taking the pump cover off and inspecting it. Be sure to drain your coolant first. If the Impeller looks OK then its your mechanical seal. You'll have to drain the oil and take the clutch cover off to get to the rest. You may see some coolant in the clutch and crank case, be sure to wipe it all out. So while you're getting the seals go a head and get your 2.2 qts of oil and filter and I strongly recomend replacing your coolant with Engine Ice. Alot of riders swear by it. I hope this will give you some sort of starting point.

IrideMHSC
12-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Normally if its the mechanical seal on the impeller the coolant leaks back into the oil and can cause big problems... I would say if it is leaking to the out side it is the o-ring style seal that is on the water pump housing....my bike did the same thing

MaTT400KfX
12-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Know problem, go to z400central and search for leaking water pump.
There's thread about how to fix it, its only a seal or o-ring, no big deal, easy fix.