PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a school bus

quader400
12-04-2006, 09:04 PM
my buddy and i are thinking about getting a school bus this summer and strip out the back for quads and put bunk beds in it and a little work shop so we can drive all over and not put miles on our cars. i think it would be awesome to have a school bus what do you guys think. any one ever do this?

Doober
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
ive always wanted to do that, but my i was going to get a box van like the doritos ones and do that but never did, if you do get pics for us:macho

LTZ400rider
12-04-2006, 09:15 PM
ull need a cdl license btw

ugottabayou
12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Do it! Put some offroad lights on it, some big offroad tires, semi stacks on the sides... it could be awsome! :devil:

quader400
12-04-2006, 09:20 PM
yea im aware of this

thought i would divide the bus like this, the blue is for quads and bikes, the green is for the shop area, and the black is like bunk beds and couches. i think it would be awesome

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 09:24 PM
I am curious on how you will open up the back of it? Maybe install a slid out ramp and a small garage door lol.

Underneath the bus you could put a generator off a RV and run some power.

Do you really need a CDL?? Or just you B?

quader400
12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Do you really need a CDL?? Or just you B?
curious about this. i know ill need something more than a reg drivers license but not sure what kind ill need

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Sounds like you need a school Bus CDL with a Passenger edorsment on it. Thats diffrent from a B and A CDL. It may vary from state to state. Not sure if it is the same for a Bus not being used for Kids

I am still looking on the net for a awnser. I kinda wanted to do this too

Edit: Its diffrent from state to State

quader400
12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
i was finding really good deals like 1000 and under for a pretty nice bus.

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
This is what I figured out.

Bus Carrying 16 or more passengers you needs a Class C CDL

Bus over 26,000lbs You need a Class B CDL

That is indiana's law though. Sounds like I wouldn't need one for what I would use one for.

Its the same thing as a RV and you do not need a CDL for them.

quader400
12-04-2006, 09:47 PM
i wouldnt have more than like 5to 6 people in it so i shouldnt need a cdl. good to know thanks, although i live in illinois so it may be diffrent

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Google Illinois BMV and you should get there website. That is were I am trying to get my info but the site froze and isn't working. So I can not verify.

csimp3
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
i drive some pretty big vehicles for work, and i was told you only need a cdl if it has air brakes

parkers30
12-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by quader400
i wouldnt have more than like 5to 6 people in it so i shouldnt need a cdl. good to know thanks, although i live in illinois so it may be diffrent

I have one titled in Illinois as an RV, nothing special needed. even with airbrakes, RVs are the exception to the law.

Make sure it meets the requirements to get RV insurance on it too, also very cheap usually needs atleast running water, a stove or a bathroom... I am selling mine because insurnace in darn near impossible to get without that... no one wants to insure it as a bus or an RV, good luck let me know if you have any questions

Just so you know, unless you get a diesel expect about 5-7 mpg and 60mph or so on the highway. Most buses are geared for stop and go not highway speeds

parkers30
12-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Google Illinois BMV and you should get there website. That is were I am trying to get my info but the site froze and isn't working. So I can not verify.

Its the secretary of state in Illinois :)

Hornbreaker
12-05-2006, 10:27 AM
A friend of mine lives in Pa. He has a school bus that is reg as an RV. The only thing he did was build a small room in back and put a port-a-potty in it that was called the bathroom. That is after we gutted the thing out. Next we made bunk beds to one side & added a portable stove to cook on. The back door was made wider by a local body shop & a ramp was added so he could roll his motor cycles up. This bus is a lot of fun for us, I borrow it sometimes when I go to Bristol In Aug & Daytona in Feb. We also go camping together with the familys in the spring & fall. Because it is an RV there is no CDL required. The bus is a Ford-gas powered 4-speed. The gas milage is 4-6 miles per gallon. If your real dream is to have one then do it.

300extreme#8
12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
yea i walked in one, that had the first 2 seat on the left side facing each other with a built table in the middle, it was kinda tight tho, and the other side bunk beds, and behind the seats with the table was cabinets, and afew steps back a built in wall with a slide door, and the back was a garage type and to ur left as u walk through was a lil bathroom they was taken out of a older rv in a junk yard, and the other side was tools.. they covered all the windows with sheet metal, and somehow put a big door on the back on the. lol if i was u i'd find one with the handicap edition, u can load and unload ur quad with the elevator thing haha

NPelletier
12-05-2006, 12:56 PM
my buddy and i are thinking about getting a school bus this summer and strip out the back for quads and put bunk beds in it and a little work shop so we can drive all over and not put miles on our cars. i think it would be awesome to have a school bus what do you guys think. any one ever do this?

holy %$&^, that was my exact fantasy as a kid lol, exact, its crazy(a kid as in like 5 years ago lol) :o :eek: :cool: :D

orca0294
12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think you need a CDL for Illinois to drive a bus because my moms friend drove one a long time ago and never had one. Also, my dad has one but he drives a roll-off truck.

parkers30
12-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by orca0294
I don't think you need a CDL for Illinois to drive a bus because my moms friend drove one a long time ago and never had one. Also, my dad has one but he drives a roll-off truck.

to drive an actual school bus in Illinois you do indeed need a CDL, not a full truck version, but it is a different type of liscensce then normal as matter of a fact you need it for any vehicle that transports 16 or more people

gbcap
12-05-2006, 02:12 PM
only need a CDL for a commercial vehicle. hence the name. commercial drivers license. anything that is not for hire does not need a cdl. you might still need an A, B, C licnese but not the cdl part.

if it is reg as an RV you will not need any special license. also if it is reg with a gvw of under 26000 you will not need one.

the best way to know is call your dmv and find out from the source. if they aren't willing to help you (which most will just pawn you off) call the state police.

it is a great idea...but know that most of the older buses only get 5-10mpg and are a pain in the *** to drive and go very slow.

parkers30
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
mine is a blast to drive....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/parkers30/105_0570.jpg

mostly because there is always a storyto be told afterward... by the way you can legally drink in an RV so long as it out of the reach of the driver :macho

AtvMxRider
12-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider

Not if it is used as a private coach

AtvMxRider
12-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
to drive an actual school bus in Illinois you do indeed need a CDL, not a full truck version, but it is a different type of liscensce then normal as matter of a fact you need it for any vehicle that transports 16 or more people

It will not be considered a bus when he is done it will be more of a RV so you DO NOT need a cdl. I have a cdl I know trust me;)

parkers30
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
I know too, I own one.... check out my other posts ;)

I was commenting on driving a real 60+ pasenger school bus, which does require a special liscense

ZSK
12-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Park you need to find a handicapped version to replace that. Then you'll have an electric ramp for the quad.

DieselBoy
12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
get a cube truck, theyre alot easier to convert over

400exchick
12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Good luck insuring that bad boy if you get it:eek2: :ermm:

quader400
12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
i think im going to make bio diesel for it to keep gas prices down. also how much a month do you guys think insurance would really be?

Hornbreaker
12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
My friend in Pa. pays $1,050 a year for full coverage.

parkers30
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
i think im going to make bio diesel for it to keep gas prices down. also how much a month do you guys think insurance would really be?

if you can get RV insurance on it its cheap like 20-30 month when I had it, but I got dropped after 3 months when they realized what it was... thats why mine is getting sold

LTZ400rider
12-06-2006, 08:56 PM
u will need some kind of a or b license becuase a school bus DOES have air brakes. put a bad *** stereo system in it and insulate the floor and engine cuz they are obnoxious sounding

firefighterjosh
12-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
u will need some kind of a or b license becuase a school bus DOES have air brakes. put a bad *** stereo system in it and insulate the floor and engine cuz they are obnoxious sounding

U do not need a special lincense for air brakes

DieselBoy
12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
U do not need a special lincense for air brakes

Yes, you do. You need a Z Air Brake endorsement.

firefighterjosh
12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Yes, you do. You need a Z Air Brake endorsement.

Maybe it veries from state to state but i don't think you do.

I could be wrong but my bet is you don't.

AtvMxRider
12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Maybe it veries from state to state but i don't think you do.

I could be wrong but my bet is you don't.

You are not wrong. You DO NOT need any endorsments or a CDL for a "PRIVATE COACH" which is what this would be considered.

DieselBoy
12-07-2006, 06:03 PM
you probably dont need an air brake endorsement on a bus since most of them are not full-air brake system, most are air-assisted brakes meaning they're not quite as complex, and maintenance needy....

Up here Air brake course is mandatory, and it needs to be updated every 5 years (one small test).

If you dont understand air brakes you may run into some serious friggin problems on a rig for example.

ieatglue
12-07-2006, 06:54 PM
if you get it licensed as a rv (recreational vehicle) then you just need a regular drivers license

CannondaleRider
12-07-2006, 11:39 PM
How bout a short bus, lol

http://i16.tinypic.com/4hhnjwl.jpg

This is my ride....An '88 Chevy G30 Van......Converted to a school bus by Collins. They built it for picking up kids in snow, so it came lifted, large tires, 4x4......It went from us getting it to play around in for a while, then it turned into MY project. I'll be working on it over the next year or so......Swapping out the 350 for a Cummins 4BT(Twin Turbo, Propane injection), Fabricating a front winch bumper, rear bumper with tire swing, full cage, full rack w/ light bar, Nerf bars(which will double as air tanks for underhood air compressor), Interior FULLY redone, Charcoal grey w/ Black trim, on 35's.........Very utilitarian look, with a bit of flash. :D

parkers30
12-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
You are not wrong. You DO NOT need any endorsments or a CDL for a "PRIVATE COACH" which is what this would be considered.

Exactly, even if it did vary from state to state, he in Illinois and so am I, I have asked all the questions and you need nothing special, just insurnace, title and liscense as an RV

firefighterjosh
12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Even if they do test your airbrakes they are not hard to learn. I think they are even easier then normal brakes, and I am no big truck machanic

AtvMxRider
12-10-2006, 07:13 PM
machanic

Mechanic;)

firefighterjosh
12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Mechanic;)

I just got OWNED:o