PDA

View Full Version : xr400 kick start on 400ex

tp300ex
12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
ok i kno this isnt the first time this has been brought up but o well
ive been doing some research on to why the xr400 kickstart will not work with the 400ex....correct me if im wrong but the only thing stopping the kick start from working is the brake leaver...right?
well if so wat about fabing a brake leaver to work with it

or is there more to it that im not seeing

tp300ex
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM
this is pappys old ex with the xr 400 kicker hole plugged

BigFish
12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Hinson side covers don't have a hole for the kickstart.

tp300ex
12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
im talking about the XR400 side cover

hks308
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
either just don't use your rear brakes. (i don't, i hate using my foot.) or use your heal

Crazy lil punk
12-05-2006, 08:32 PM
so can it be done? i would love to get a kick start, electric is cool, but kickers are cooler

coryatver
12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
you need to change a whole lot more than that. The whole bottom end of the engine is different and there is not enough room to change it.

NacsMXer
12-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
you need to change a whole lot more than that. The whole bottom end of the engine is different and there is not enough room to change it.

...and because of it, you're going to need XR400 cases on top of that. By the time it's all said and done, you'd be better off throwing an XR400 motor in there.

steve #7
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
kick on the left

steve #7
07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
electric start on the left

steve #7
07-01-2007, 02:32 PM
sorry thats kick on the right and its a ex motor. there all the same theres no diference in the case except for the newer ex with reverse.

TYayo420
07-02-2007, 04:38 AM
why is there 300 topics of the ex kick floating around lately? don't ppl see them rather then bring up oldf ones and or make new ones...

steve #7
07-02-2007, 09:03 AM
I know there is alot of talk but did you ever actually see one before this. go electric go slow.

TYayo420
07-02-2007, 10:40 AM
no ive never seen one, but id rather have kick, it's just ppl don't need to bring up 4 kick start topics at the sometime, your telling em the same in everyone how to do it, so they should just use 1 thread, i wish i could do this easily or i would.

REDRIDDER
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420
no ive never seen one, but id rather have kick, it's just ppl don't need to bring up 4 kick start topics at the sometime, your telling em the same in everyone how to do it, so they should just use 1 thread, i wish i could do this easily or i would. And i bet you have went to every thread about this topic and were complaining about the number of times you heard this right,you didnt have to come here and say anything apparently you are more concerned about mentioning the fact that yeah this is an old thread but others like my self don't care about how many times its brought up i just like to help someone out if i can.All im saying is you should be more considerate and not so worried about the number times you heard this,look at how many times jetting ?s have been asked or another like will the 450r shocks fit?i will help answer anyone's question no matter how many times its brought up,im out to help not critisize.TYayo420 i didn't mean to sound like a rick but if i was the one asking the question i would like a respectful answer,not this has been asked before blah,blah,blah .Aso remember not alot in the 400ex section is really going to change unless Honda changes the 400ex but well see.steve#7 you keep spreading the kickstart 400ex info,people really do appreciate it no matter what someone else says.

TYayo420
07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
yeah its cool to help people, thats great, but why does the same person have to dig up 4 threads? wh cant everyone just use the same thread for this topic if its on top of this board? it's what most ppl would say, use the search feature, well in this instance, its called use your eyes because the something is being talked about under the thread your posting in.

steve #7
07-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I am a 51 year old engine builder and I am sorry if I offended anyone by spreading info. I was having trouble making the kicker work .So I came to this site myself for answers. While reading some of the threads I saw nobody had ever tried putting the kick start on they only talked about it. And some said it could never be done. So I used differrent threads because threre are different users in them and they will all get emails on my success. Oh yeah the kicker is working great it starts one kick. No compression release . No hot start. Curtis Sparks info was the trick. There are several Things I learned while doing this conversion. Electrical timing is different from one motor to another . My motor in this application was always hard starting since new. That is why it was a doner for the stroker. It was pulled and replaced and put on the bench when it was new. After the extremme make over it still started hard. When I completed the kick conversion. I could not even start it with the kick. So having several 400ex's on hand I took the electrical components off of one that started easy . Low and behold my 460 started with one slow kick. I already tried different magnito coils off the shelf and it did not help so I investigated what was different with the one taken from the moto cross quad that worked. What I found was the There are different clockings on different motors and they are numbered accordingly. I now have 4 different numbers and wow what a difference in performance when you match the right one to your motor. Check yours when you dial indicate your cam. Well I am not going to start a new thead and don't want to piss any more users off so I guess I'll make this my last entry. We will be at all the nationals so all you EX riders come and see go its wild to see a 400 run like this and know you created it. Those of you who appreitiated some performance tips Thanks for your time.

jedneck
07-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Not sure if the xr250 is differant but here is my 400 with a xr250r motor. the brake pedal is of the xr had to beat on it a little. And the brakes barely work.

leprogle85
07-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey Steve#7, what all is involved in putting that kicker on?
What parts do you need?
Any more pics, thanks
Jon

400exrider88
08-07-2014, 09:38 AM
How did you get all of that to work together?