PDA

View Full Version : A-arms / Shocks Help!

450R22
12-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I am pretty new to the 450r, in the past I raced a 89' 250r mx and harescrambles stock other than GT Thunder engine mods.
I plan to have GT Thunder revalve and repring my shocks, but I do not understand the importance of different A-Arms. Is this just for handling or does it play a factor in the suspension also.
Any help from you guys running aftermarket set-up's would be appreciated ;)

ATVRacer19
12-04-2006, 04:36 PM
if you want to race and do well, I deffenately sugest aftermarket a-arms. The main reason they help out is stability and control. i rode my stock 06 and it was a little tipy in some of the bigger and tight corners. The wide stanse DEFFENATELY helps alot.
Also,
if you keep stock suspension with the longer a-arms it makes the suspension softer. if you go with long travle a-arms i would recommend a pair of long travle shocks. yet, i rode with my stock shocks for 3 races and they held up very well.

i hope that helps you out!

TWILES
12-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Set-up on a 450R is the same as a 250R. The main difference is that instead of a stock to -1 swing-arm you use a stock to +1 and the a-arms don't go +1 forward. If you did buy new a-arms you'd get +1's to keep it narrow. Other than camber adjustment they are really not worth the money. The guys who do get new ones go with a long travel set up like the old Roll Design 250R XC front-end and then you have to buy the longer shocks for it and 4+1 offset wheels to narrow it down 2"s from I think close to 49" with the stock wheels. Plus the 450 is supposed to be an inch wider than the 250 stock anyway. I'd go the route you are planning with the GT Thunder rebuild, keep the stock a-arms, and run that until it was trashed. I've learned on these forums that most of the people who do things that don't make much sence are kids who are on their first sport bike or the dude has entirely too much money and, atleast where I live, has a pro level bike to race C class. I wish it was still 250R's, QuadRacers, and Banshee's. It was so much more simple then. Back then the bikes would actually get you killed and now they are toooooo easy to ride.

450R22
12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info "ATV Racer19"
I agree with the "tippy". I didn't know if it was me, or if it was the stock stock set-up.

TWILES- I agree with the pro level in a "c" class. I wish I had that kind of money that some of the younger generation can spend.
I normally finish in the top 5 in a Senior/4stroke class on a stock set-up but a smother ride would be nice come Monday morning.

honduh440
12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
i refuse to ride anything without aftermarket a-arms and shocks. im selling burgard +2 a-arms chrome on the top silver vein on the bottom and Elka triple rate with remote rezzie shocks. both are in great shape and look awsome. let me know if ur interested

450R22
12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
why are you selling?
yes,I may be interested-will these work on a 06?

honduh440
12-04-2006, 07:44 PM
im going to upgrade to long travel. finally going to spend the cash ..... this is an 05 set up i belive all you would need to change is spindles maybe we could trade?

honduh440
12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
ok i found out they will work fine being that they have the slide adjustment on the upper aarms you can have both aarms and shocks for 850 what do u think?

rlplive
12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Another big reason to go with aftermarket arms is strength. My stock a arms are bending. All the paint is cracked off of the welds.

450R22
12-06-2006, 04:27 AM
That set-up looks nice, I am still interested but I will have to check back with you after X-mas. Do you know what weight rider the shocks are set for?

honduh440
12-06-2006, 07:42 AM
190lb