PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Rim size Ground clearance

hinmo
12-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi - newbie here. Cut to the chase - I am bottoming out on my skidplate on rocks alot. My rear tires read: 20X9X8.

Can I bump up to a larger rim/tire for better ground clearance?

Is there other easy fixes? Stainless skidplates? etc?

thanks

ilpadrino113
12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
bigger tires would give you more ground clearence but with a sport quad you'll bottom out alot. The trick is to jst avoid the big stuff. The small rocks shouldn't be that bad, that's what skid plates are for.

And yes there are plenty of aftermarket skid plates otu there, i'd just steer clear of the cheap ones on EBay.

hinmo
12-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Is the prm .250 that much better than the stock skid plate?

I could get 21 inch tires on 9 inch rims and a better skidplate...but that will run over $300 bucks

Colby@C&DRacing
12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
you could go with a 21 in tire which would increase ground clearance and you could also gain some ground clearance with a good aftermarket skid plate like the PRM .190 or the .250 both are good skids I am still running the .190 from 2004 and race xc.

underpowered
12-05-2006, 09:42 AM
a grrod skid plate is well worth the investment. if you learn to pick you line, you don't haveto worry about bottomeing out. i rode for over a year with no skid plate before i bent a rotor, you just have to be wary of rocks and ruts adn sometimes you gotta take it slow to avoid the big stuff. but i gotta skidplate now and it is worth its weight in gold. taller tires do help, but you may need to regear due to the increased weight and taller gear ratio they have.