PDA

View Full Version : HC stg 1or 2 for 416 11:1 build

mustangflyboy
12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I''m doing my first build on a stock 400ex. Here's what I'm looking at right now. I picked up a used sparks x-6 exhaust and am going with a 416 11:1 piston and want to remain on 91 octane. Will either hot cam work fine with this comp. and fuel? My concern is that the stg. 1 will allow the cylinder pressure to build too high and cause detonation.
Is the stg. 1 meant ONLY for stock applications?

I know most people are going with HC stg 2 for bored 400ex's, but I like a lot of low end, so that's why I'm looking at the stg.1

I know the x-6 is more top end focused but it was readily available. But the stg.1 cam and x-6 would be a dumb combanation right? would they be working against each other?
Same question for a stg.2 and a yoshi rs-3 exhaust?work against or compliment the other? I don't know.

I thought I might do my break ins with the x-6 and then if I don't like the low end enough I might sell the x-6 and get a Yoshi rs-3
Anyone know for sure about the cam suitability?

04TRX400EX
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
From what I hear, a Stage 2 will work best with bored engines. Stage 1 Hot Cams are made more for stock engines or non-bored ones at least. If you are doing a 11:1 piston I am assuming you're looking at Wiseco. That will work well with a Sparks exhaust. If you aren't completely satisfied with the low-end with a Stage 2, just change the gearing.

I'm doing the almost the same thing: JE 10.8:1 87mm (416cc) piston with a Stage 2 Hot Cam and FCR carb. I haven't decided what to do with my exhaust yet. I might keep my Dr. D or go with a full Yoshi system.

mic 902
12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Im running that exact set up you want to go with and using a stg 1 hotcam. It seems to give me lots down low. I luv it :D