PDA

View Full Version : Tire Setup

thump4863
12-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I am setting up a TT quad and am curious about tires - What are the different compounds used for - softer for smoother tracks? Is there a tire thats good for all conditions? I'm just starting out so I would like to get a good all around tire. What size tires should I get?

Also on rims - I'm getting some hipers - I'm planning on getting 10 X 5 4:1 offset for the front but I'm not sure what size to get for the rear - either a 10X9 3:6 offset or a 10X10 4:6 offset - what would you recommend? or does it matter?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

TTZ450
12-08-2006, 08:13 PM
I would run some ITP or DOUGLAS aluminum wheels, But if you are not going to worry about the weight run the hipers. You would want to run american racers size 18x10x10 on a 10x8 wheel. Beadlock wheels are not really needed since you shouldnt run less than 10 lbs of air unless it is extreme conditions at the track.. Also shorten your swingarm 1 1/2" for traction and I would suggest getting some good adjustable aftermarket shocks.. Use your shocks to load 10lbs on the right rear.. The LTR is very heavy compared to a YFZ or a 450R so do whatever you can to lighten your LTR up... You need nerfs, front bumper, sway bar, kill switch, 50" width, 8" numbers with appropriate background just to get started and be legal....

thump4863
12-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I have everything i need component wise I just need to get the tire thing down - like componds to tire pressure to tire sizes etc

TTZ450
12-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Sorry abput all the suzuki talk...LOL.. I would run American Racer 20x8x10 sd28 on the front your wheel offset will be determined by a-arm length and American Racer 18x10x10 sd33 on the rear with a 10x9 wheel.. Running a wider tire on a narrower wheel will allow for more side bite.. The harder compound rear will get enough heat just from being the drive tires....

300exQuadracer
12-10-2006, 04:56 PM
sd-23 fronts, american sd33 for a loose track and hoosier t-10 or t-15 for hard pack and t-20 for a softer track, correct me if i'm wrong somebody but i think i'm right on the compounds

plus there is endless possibilities to grooving the tires for more/less traction and more/less heat in the tires for traction

TTZ450
12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
I have never used hoosiers so I cant comment on the tire compounds and how well they work..

C-LEIGH RACING
12-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Always run a soft compound on the front, if you cant steer it you cant drive it.
A lot of riders near pro level will run a soft tire on the rear for a good hook up off the line & as the tire heats up & start to stick to much the rider will make the bike do what they want it to do even though the tire is too soft.
Some riders that havent figured that out yet choose a harder tire on the rear to free the bike making it easier for them to ride under those same track conditions.
Your most important thing other than setting the handle on the bike is being able to read dirt, the dirt on the track, & that needs to be done just before your race, not what you think it will be like all day.
Neil

bnbracin12
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
The best initial set up for your TT bike shold be 33 compound American racers, that way it wil;l work at various tracks for compounds. use a 18-6-10 front and a 18-10-10 rear tire. That can get your base for a starter. then purchase a set of whatever kind of wheel u decide and get 10-5 fronts, 1-4 ofset(Hyper offers the non beadlock in that ofset) ONe set of 10-10 rears and 10-9 rears for different tracks to create some more side bite. That should get your tire situation started for ya and get ya goin.

Frank Batista #13 EDT Pro from California

C-LEIGH RACING
12-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Batista,
man you ready of the 07 season or you gona try the WPSA out.
Neil

thump4863
12-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by bnbracin12
The best initial set up for your TT bike shold be 33 compound American racers, that way it wil;l work at various tracks for compounds. use a 18-6-10 front and a 18-10-10 rear tire. That can get your base for a starter. then purchase a set of whatever kind of wheel u decide and get 10-5 fronts, 1-4 ofset(Hyper offers the non beadlock in that ofset) ONe set of 10-10 rears and 10-9 rears for different tracks to create some more side bite. That should get your tire situation started for ya and get ya goin.

Frank Batista #13 EDT Pro from California

Thanks a lot - I'll get me some of those and hopefully pick up some tricks at the races.

Seth

bnbracin12
12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
neil, ya im obligated to run the EDT series next year, ive had a GREAT training program on the off season, im gonna run a couple WPSA, gonna give it a try. I recieved some extrodinary offers that i cant refuse, i will be at every TT round thats for sure, hope i can just start how i finished the year.

Frank Batista #13