PDA

View Full Version : fitting a 250r engine into a stock 400ex frame????? what are the pros and cons?

400exBro
09-15-2002, 07:56 PM
i am wanting a 250r or a shee but i want to keep the 400ex, but this ain't going to happen, while i was looking thro my old DW mags i saw the adam sick conversion he did, put a 250r engine into the stock 400ex frame, i was wondering what his e-mail is so i can ask him a couple of question???

also is this a wise idea to do it, i can find some good r engines on ebay and buy the mounts and instruction kit from adam, what are some of the pros and cons you guys can think of sticking the r engine into the ex chasis???
will i be able to put the ex engine back in, switching them back and forth????

And most importantly how will i decide which to ride, it will be a hard decison.............????

thnxs a lot
Bro

tants
09-15-2002, 08:23 PM
i say if you want a 250r, get a 250r, putting the motor in would be cool but still wont be an R. i say just spend the cash and mod the 400ex motor (if your power hungry) if you want a 2stroke (like you want a 250r or banshee) i say sell the 400 and go with the honda... its possible to put a r motor in, but would still be different...

$.02

forum
09-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Hey timo! I would advice against all this. Yes the conversion can be done. There are many things i would do to your machine before the engine change. I had an R and i have a banshee. but i still race my 400ex. I think you would do much better with your current machine. 2 stroke's are faster, but ONLY if you are good enough to pilot them. Timo I'm not saying your not good. Get an axle some a arms and revalve your works. then get lockharts odesy or some other shop to put in a 440cc 11.5:1compression kit in. It really liveins up your engine compared to stock. I think you will be much happier with this. I will help you if you decide to go through with this conversion, but i would highly recomend not to do it.
most of the people in my class are running 400ex's, james bank's(#5 black and white $40,000 raptor) number one in Canada has a 400ex back up and last year he raced it as his race bike. He came 5th in Canada and all hes got is a few engine mods and front shocks and a slip on. no a amrs or axle or anything.

Just look what I'm running. totaly stock engine, even stock exhaust, but with an axle aarms, and some front shocks. Im doing pretty good for my first season. Top 5 everytime.

Offcourse next season my quad will be alot different but that doesn't really matter...houser long travels with elka elites front/back, Rp swing arm, hiper carbon fibre rims crf engine and so on and so on. I just can't wait untill the season is over so I can start putting these parts on my bike. I wanna come to the first next seasons race and make people's mouth's drop. Instead of just putting the parts on one at a time.

400exBro
09-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Hey carl, i was thinking of it today in school about doing the coversion but it ocured that the r needs mixed ture of gas and oil and i don't think that running a permix in a 4 stroke aint to good....

the thing is that i kind of want to try riding and r and see how i like it since i grew up on 2 strokes, the 400 doesn't have the power in stock mod but i want something that gives more bark...
the thing about the a arms and axles is that my dad doesn't think it is neccary, he says no you don't need it save up for a truck... so if you were able to make it to the poker run this sunday you could explain him how this helps out, i am thinking about buying the elimtantor axle (Durablue) the same one from the last poker run, the guys still has it for sale i think he dropped it to 400$ cdn. so if i can get 350 or so i will buy it, i hope if i am allowed with out getting *****ed at by my parents, because i am vut back blah blah.

also about the 450 thing i think it would turn A LOT of heads, people won't know what to say.......

when are you off on a sunday after the race at moto park maybe we can go riding..
lata
Bro (Timo)

Team Outlaw #34
09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
listen to nasty..............

forum
09-16-2002, 05:41 PM
$400 is an awsome deal man. If you don't mind can you tell me his number cause if you don't want it. I DO! As a spare or for a friend

forum
09-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Wider is better!! But you need a truck to get to the track!! or wider makes no difference if you can't ride it.

Mxbubs
09-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Why put an R motor in an Ex frame?

R motors are better motors
Ex frames are stronger and handle better than the 13 year old frames.

The ex jumps better.

Yes Adam Sick did, and yes he says he prefers the R motor in the Ex frame over the R frame.

His email is

sickman80@hotmail.com

ESR250R
09-16-2002, 06:19 PM
400 dollars for a durablow axle? i just seen one of those pos's snap at the local mx track.

400exBro
09-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Carl i am going to talk to my dad tonight and see if i am able to buy it, if not i will e-mail you his number and then you may buy it.... we saw him at the walton trans can and he was still trying to sell it, it must be stolen or sumthing because no one has bought it yet.....
Also carl when you get your 450 coversion done, give me a shout we got to go riding, i got to giver her a spin:D
j/k watching you ride that beast will be amazing, but make sure to get PEP ZPS suspenbsion all the way around, then you will have a sick bike, maybe not as sicks as Jams Raptor which i saw and it was a nice bike.....

About the Durablue axle ESR is that 400$ cdn they are 600$ new and it still has warranty, i am not that hard on the machine that will snap, i have yet to snap my stocker but i think it might be tweaked a bit but can't notice it, so i wll hopefully buy it, if not the lsr on ebay is mine!!!

After a short ride on my private track i decide to not put the r in to the ex becuse for that money i might aswell do the CRF conversion like Forum is doing and have a reliable, fast thumper, but i will save get the axle turf tamer tires on douglus ultimate rims and some a arms.

lata
Bro

ESR250R
09-16-2002, 07:37 PM
durablue can shove the warranties up there *****. the first time u break the axle with will replace it about 2 months later and every time after that it costs u 150 to replace it.

forum
09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
I don't think I'll go with PEP. I don't like that they use works bodies. and also. they dont have long travels. Im getting a houser long travel front end and a rear shock mount mod for long travel rear. PEP Im sure is great but i can get ELKA's alot cheaper. Im getting the Elka elites. My second choice would be axis. SO pep is a far way away. Elka has been improving their shocks almost monthly. I still may not get Elka's but it looks pretty likely that I am.

400exBro
09-17-2002, 03:23 PM
That is cool, i thought of that today, that if you do get Elkas get the Elite shocks or else get the Axis.

with the durablue axle they aren't adjustable are they (Elimantor)??? i want an axle that you can adjust becuase i do trails and it might be a little wide, i will get back to you tonight Carl about the shock, my dad thinks it is stolen because he hasn't sold it yet....

also how is that test ride come with the 450 think i can giver her a spin:D ?
probably not but o well, do you still have your r??

want to go riding in october some time, i am away the first week, going down to the states, but after that i am good to go, you up to it???
lata
Timo (Yes that is my real name)

Clay
09-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Forum,
PEP makes long travels. All the pros you see running the Pro-Trax front end with PEP's. Those are long travel or 19" shocks. PEP was one of the first to make them, and still make some of the best. Just thought i would tell ya in case you decided to get some.