PDA

View Full Version : cleaning quad during rebuild

tyler3400
12-03-2006, 07:12 PM
liek the title says im inthe process of rebuilding my quad. the frame is going to be sent out next week for powder coating and during the time its gon i want to start cleanign the quad getting ready for reasemmbly.the motors pretty firtyt and has some of the usually grime and stuff snese its an 03. how can i clean it good and safely?i want to get the quad looking clean and new again for this summer.i also am goign to try to polish some of the stuff, i read on the post it has to be aluminum for it to polish right? if thats correct coudl some one tell me a lsit of parts that are aluminum, like engine mounts and that kinda stuff. thanks. also on my steering stem if i jsut painted it with some heavy duty autamotive paint or something along those lines do you think it would chip easily ?

firefighterjosh
12-03-2006, 08:45 PM
What kinda quad you got?

I always just plugged the exhaulst and intake with a ragg and rubber band a bag around it also and pressured washed it off with some simple green or purple power. Same with all the other parts.

If you have the money I would send out your other parts such as steering stem, swinger, engine mounts ect... to be PC as well

tyler3400
12-04-2006, 09:13 AM
i got a 400ex.. i would love to be able to get all the misscelaneous parts sent out to be coated but after i ge tthe motor done and some suspension things and so on i dont think it will be with in my budget. but ill see. wich is better the simple green or purple power?

JessetheKid
12-05-2006, 01:30 PM
dont worry about the steering stem just some spray bomb will work, i did it to mine and it held up great, it is hidden mostly

gotwarrior
12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Simply Green works the best on the motor. As far the stem just paint. But use something heavy like "Van Sickle." It is a very heavy paint. It works really good.:D

luvmyex
12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
get a brush and simple green and start scrubin:blah: then scrub it again. then 5 rides after ya get it back its all fubared again:mad: