PDA

View Full Version : YFZ exhaust cam.

TWILES
12-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these to try to restart racing again for I think the third time. I don't know anything about the quad motor. I have a 2005 WR450F that I've learned about and other then uncorking it, thats about it other than a good pipe and possibly a YZ exhaust cam. I've been researching part #'s on Yamaha's site to see what is the same on the 450 motors. The only thing I have found to be the same is the intake cam. The exhaust cam is different for each of the 450's. Since the hot setup for the WR to get the most out of it is to replace the stock exhaust cam with the YZ's cam, can the same be done for the YFZ? Past that and the obvious pipe, piston, and filter, what else is being done when building these motors? And can you just put the YZ exhaust cam in place of the stock one like the WR?
Thanks Travis

TWILES
12-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Anybody?

Splatter Matter
12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
just do the cam mod
http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=59800

oldskoolex400
12-04-2006, 02:37 PM
i would just do the cam mod it helps alot, actually the yfz450's cams are pretty agressive, unlike the 400ex or 450r cams that are very mild stock

TWILES
12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
So in other words a port job and a piston are not necessarily must do's?

jshtex
12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
From my understanding the only difference between the yz and yfz exhaust cam is the marks on the gear. Basically if you do the "cam mod" you will be just like the yz. Plus it's free....

As for moding the motor, my sugestion (sp) would be to do the basics, (cam mod, pipe, air box lid, rejet) and see if you need any more power. With just these basics our bike never really lost to horsepower, a better rider is another story though.... Oh and we race XC FWIW.

TWILES
12-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I'll be running MX. I used to race A class on my Banshee and B and C with my 250R and LT500R. I been around a while. I have a friend with a 450R with the HRC cam, CRF complete electrical, piston, complete Hinson clutch, and FCR carb. Not to mention the ProTrax front and rear end and PEP shocks and so on. I liked it motor but I can get the same from the Yamaha for a whole lot less money. I have a WR 450 now. Thats what got me asking about the cam. You can't rotate the cam on the WR because of the decompression stuff. You have to buy the YZ cam. I knew you could rotate the 04/05 cam but I didn't know if it was different on the 450cc motors. The WR motor is supposed to have around 50hp the way I have it and it would be too weak for a MX quad and it has more power then the quad will have with the cam mod and pipe. It would rip through the woods on 4 wheels but I have to have more than that for MX. Just reaserching and gathering info. Thanks, you've been the most informative.

It looks like your #22 is really fast. You ever run GNCC's or MidSouth?