PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do To Train Physically!?!?!?

hetrick_racing9
12-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Im 15 and im gettin 1 of john natalie jr's 450's in a few weeks.. and i wants to kno what i should be doing in the gym with weights and everything .. what kinda of things should i be doing with the weights.. to work what i need..

another thing is on a 450 is it better to seat bounce it or just stand kinda in the middle and launch off... because when i raced that blaster would always lean really far back.. im guessing it all depends on the angel of the take off and landing.. but if it is really steep should i belean very far forward or in the middle.. or shud i be leaning bak seat bouncing it and hitting the rear break in the air.. lastly.. im kinda off with timing i think.. with my preloading and sucking in.. when should i be pushing down and pulling up or shud i jus be pushing down to preload.. and when im sucking in wut shud i do..

thanks a lot guyss...

nosliw
12-03-2006, 06:31 PM
practice practice practice dude.

take things slow and you'll figure out these things on your own and how they work best for you.

and for the physical part, you're not going to get better at riding doing anything other than riding.

takes time.

have fun on that 450r

hetrick_racing9
12-03-2006, 06:33 PM
ye im just wondering like for the workout part.. im lookin to get a lot stronger to be able to ride harder longer.. and i wus wondering if anyone knows like a good workout plan.. or wut to do..

atva_63
12-03-2006, 06:51 PM
If you have your own practice track run (on foot) a few laps in full gear and then get on the 450 and ride a moto. If you do this at least twice a week you will notice a huge difference. Don't lift alot of heavy weights durring race season. It gives some people arm pump. If you lift wieghts lift light wieghts and alot of reps

MO-EX-RIDER
12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
strength will come from the classics:
bench press
dead lift
squats
all 3 combined will give the whole body a workout
if performed correctly and done with your heart in it you will get strong as hell and blow up since your 15 and your testosterone levels are high!
I would also do 30-1hr of a fast pace cardio, whether it be on a bike/treadmill whatever you have access to. for the stamina atleast 3-4 days per week
and the biggest thing is your diet....train hard+eat right

talk to other guys in the gym and you will find a routine that works for you + enjoy it!

btw is your screen name 1 of your sponsors??

450robot
12-03-2006, 07:33 PM
a sectioned workout schedule is what i go for, it builds muscle, while allowing it to heal, all still including cardio.

basically

sunday-running, core
monday- upper body, neck, and shoulder area
tues-running, core
wednesday-back, and bottom
thursday- running, core
friday-legs, lower body

while doing one part of the body a day, you allow the rest to heal and regrow, without straining or overworking the muscles, and the cardio in between keeps your endurance up.

trick250r
12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
ride... but do you know what you're getting yourself into with this bike. its a lot to handle. like form a blasturd to a race ready 450... big jump.

hetrick_racing9
12-03-2006, 09:02 PM
ye i kno .. i am pritty fit right now benchin round 165 170.. and im only like 140.. and then.. ye thats great advice guys.. i ride my bike almost everyday.. my legs always get super pumped from riding a lot on my bike.. never relle get tired in the legs ouch on the track.. i jus want to not get as tired in the upper body .. because 450 can be hard on you sometimes and i want to be able to push for as long as possible.. my bbuddy greg gee atva-pro-am ,pro rider is gunna be helping me train hopefully on his 2 homemade tracks.. just tips and tricks and everything.. and then ye im just gunna keep working out and workin hard.. hetrick racing used to sponsor me on my blaster and mini.. but now since im moving up to the 450 im lookin for new sponsors..

any more advice would be awesome guys.. hopefully you'll see me running pro or pro-am in the near future ( 2-3 years).. thanks a lot

fasterblaster09
12-03-2006, 09:18 PM
not to sound like an *** or anything, but it dosn't really sound like your ready for this type of bike...\

but about your question, i have never raced MX before so I couldn't tell you. Just take it easy with the bike..

Villageidiott23
12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
you could try some over the counter supplements like. protien. creat. aminos. glucos and what not. at fifteen i would strongly not recommend anything under the counter but at 140lbs maybe try alittle weight gainer with the protien. bulk up alittle bit. i usually live by the golden rule if you flip yo bike ontop of urself can u push it off. gain some bulk b4 that race ready rocket eats u..... ps. that over the counter **** is expensive so if you dont have the funds. you can do it with foods too. egg whites. chicken. steak. & what not.

Villageidiott23
12-04-2006, 11:00 AM
oh yeah ya gotta hit the weights hard lower reps heavier weights gain size. stay away from the high reps unless u want to model underwear for tommy H.

hetrick_racing9
12-04-2006, 02:17 PM
a few pro's have told me im more then ready to race this machine .. i just want to be above the game.. and be able to ride hard for all 20 mins... people are telling me to diet.. some are tell me to get more weight.. some more weight then reps.. then some more reps then weights... people have always told me its better to do more reps...

next of all wut can i do to work my chest more.. more chest muscle and for core .. do they mean like abs and stomach and stuff..

im gunna be training really hard by next week and i want nice nice plan of exactly wat i shud do.. that i will need in the race.. by that i mean what workouts i need to do and wut sections of the body that workout is helping.. wut exersizes i shud do one day and what on the other.. thanks a lot guys.. gotta get training hard.. im not some scronny little kid right now.. i can bench around 160-180 12 reps so ye thats the range im in... thanks a lot guys ... pelase help

motox450
12-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I used to do a lot of circuit training. It was like 12 different exersizes, but in between each exersize you get on a spin bike and ride for 90 seconds. This keeps your heart rate up. I will also add there were no real heavy lifting in any of this. It was all medium weights quick reps. In high school I always wanted to gain bulk, afterwards I wanted more of a very lean body and great stamina. Circuit training is what helped me to do so. If I were you I would look into it. There is some very good information available just make sure you look. Also some other posts missed one of my favorite exersizes. The power clean. It takes time to get your form perfect, but for me it helped my whole body get stronger.

hetrick_racing9
12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
wut exactly is the power clean..

motox450
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.bossfitness.com/video/_Power_Clean_Video_Clip_.htm

Here is a link with a description, as well as a video on how to do a proper power clean.

400exstud
12-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
not to sound like an *** or anything, but it dosn't really sound like your ready for this type of bike...\

but about your question, i have never raced MX before so I couldn't tell you. Just take it easy with the bike..

I agree. I don't want to sould mean, but anyone that is ready for a 450 (even stock) would know the answer to all of your questions that you stated in your initial post.

450robot
12-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
oh yeah ya gotta hit the weights hard lower reps heavier weights gain size. stay away from the high reps unless u want to model underwear for tommy H.

you are completely wrong my friend, less reps, and more wieght lead to more muscle mass, which lead to faster lactic acid build up in the muscles during prolonged exposure to stress (yah, that means major cramping). sure, if you want to bend your handlebars with your strength, instead of being able to steer your bike for an hour, go with the strength training (less rep, more weight) but if you wanna last that whole race, with strength throughout, you want more reps, with a weight thats just a tad out of your range

motox450
12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
you are completely wrong my friend, less reps, and more wieght lead to more muscle mass, which lead to faster lactic acid build up in the muscles during prolonged exposure to stress (yah, that means major cramping). sure, if you want to bend your handlebars with your strength, instead of being able to steer your bike for an hour, go with the strength training (less rep, more weight) but if you wanna last that whole race, with strength throughout, you want more reps, with a weight thats just a tad out of your range

450robot you are exactly correct. He does NOT want to hit heavy weights and low reps. This type of work out builds lots of mass, but is terrible for flexiblity and stamina. He needs to get on a program that helps build muscle slowly, allows him to gain flexibility, and get a good cardio workout in one. He needs to concentrate on cardio more than anything. Having a strong heart is the most important muscle he can work on. In the long run he will benifit more from having great cardio than to be able to bench 300lbs. If racing was about being huge you would see the top racers look like wrestlers. This is not the case. Almost all racers have a muscular build but don't look like Hulk Hogan.

stocktires
12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
For MX, yes more reps (around 20 till failure), although any strength training WILL definatley help!
Focus on Abs, Back, and Legs. But hit everything

stocktires
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 450robot

Also means more blood flow right? Also, LESS strength means the muscle will fail MUCH sooner. I don't see how it's even POSSIBLE for a stronger person to have cramps faster...

12-04-2006, 07:13 PM
were kinda in the same situation. Im 16, 125lbs, bench 140 max but can bench less wight alot of times befor im tired. i baught travis spaders pro yfz450 when we were getting it travis kept saying that i would NOT be able to handle this quad. i can handle it fine, everytime i go somewhere people dont expect a little 125 pound kid to be fast and able to throw around a full size race quad but i can just fine. befor the day light savings time i would do 2 30min motos then workout for 1-2 hrs everyday. now i only have enoguh daylight to do 1 30min moto and i still only workout for 1-2hrs everyday. the best things ive found to do are mtn or road biking a couple miles everyday, and boxing. get a 80lb punching bag and some 14 ounces gloves, hit it as hard as you can at a good pace for 1 minute then take a 30sec break then do it again and again for about 10 minutes...your arms and abs feel like you have been riding for a couple hours straight. sorry for the long post

Cody Wills 77

motox450
12-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
Also means more blood flow right? Also, LESS strength means the muscle will fail MUCH sooner. I don't see how it's even POSSIBLE for a stronger person to have cramps faster...

No less muscle does not mean it will fail sooner. It will fatigue with less stress but not sooner. Being stronger is gennerally a good thing. But always a limit to everything. If you have very large, non-flexible muscle they will fatigue faster. If you build these muscles to only work for a short period of time ie low reps, then they will fatigue after a low amount of usage. If you train the muscle correctly you will gain some mass, strength and flexibilty. Believe it or not flexiblity is one of the major parts of any workout. You want to extend muscles as far as they can be to make them stronger. Muscles grow from being torn and the torn areas grow causing the muscle to grow larger. Its all in what you want to do with it. In high school i was a mass guy. I lifted to gain strength and only strength. I was 125lbs benching 250 squating 500 and cleaning 225. As i got out and started racing i totally changed my program. When i started racing i would pump up and fatigue after 2-3 laps. After I went to circuit training for a year my bench, squat, and clean went down, but I could ride 10 laps same pace first to last. What you put in is what you get out.

stocktires
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by motox450
No less muscle does not mean it will fail sooner. It will fatigue with less stress but not sooner. Being stronger is gennerally a good thing. But always a limit to everything. If you have very large, non-flexible muscle they will fatigue faster. If you build these muscles to only work for a short period of time ie low reps, then they will fatigue after a low amount of usage. If you train the muscle correctly you will gain some mass, strength and flexibilty. Believe it not flexiblity is one of the major parts of any workout. You want to extend muscles as far as they can be to make them stronger. Muscles grow from being torn and the torn areas grow causing the muscle to grow larger. Its all in what you want to do with it. In high school i was a mass guy. I lifted to gain strength and only strength. I was 125lbs benching 250 squating 500 and cleaning 225. As i got out and started racing i totally changed my program. When i started racing i would pump up and fatigue after 2-3 laps. After I went to circuit training for a year my bench, squat, and clean went down, but I could ride 10 laps same pace first to last. What you put in is what you get out.

I completely agree.

450robot
12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
I completely agree.

seconded

motox450
12-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. I don't want to come off is some kind of expert, but rather on what I have done in the past and what works for me. I used to work out 2 hours a day 6 days a week and was in the best shape of my life. But I became a father and priorities change. I need to get back to working out at least an hour a day. Really it isn't much thats one measly hour and would do me a world of difference. I would suggest that anyone and everyone try and make a good workout a part of each day. It is amazing the amount of stress you can relieve, and confidence a person can build just from an hour a day. If I go back to working out I will get a spinbike and circuit train at home. My wife wants to start as well. I also suggest to anyone wanting to get into working out find a partner or partners. I know when I was into it hard I always worked out by myself. It became so much like work I could barely stand to go into the gym. Find someone who wants to work out with you. Your wife, gf, brother, sister, friend, dad, whoever. Use each other to keep motivated and push each other to keep on the right path. It does make a world of difference.

hetrick_racing9
12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
i know i can handle a 450 ive riden one before.. i just want to be able to have the endurance liek the pro.. and be able to keep at a steady pace out there.. and not let my lap times go down.. and bout the preloud and sucking up .. i was kinda sketchy.. i kno how to preload and suck up.. but its always good to gain knowlegde on how to do something better if there is a trick or something...

thanks a lot guys.. im going to be working hard this winter make sure i am ready for next season.. ill be running a few nats and wpsa races.. so holler at me ill be on johns 450 might have diff graphics by then.. but ull be able to tell its his... thanks a lot guys means a lot.. keep the posts coming this is interesting stuff to read and its helping me out a lot... thanks..

Villageidiott23
12-05-2006, 06:55 AM
actually u should get ur info correct. ive been power lifting for over 4 yrs now. yes low reps and higher weight does mean more mass. but that doesnt mean hes not gonna be flexible. he weighs 140lbs. i was using the work out technique as an example not to make him a bulging pile of muscle but more so to gain size. for you to lose any kind of flexibility you would have to do this for 5 or more years and probably be on some form of juice. proper pre and post workouts will keep you flexible. i was trying to help the kid out so he can handle the bike not the other way around.

stocktires
12-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
actually u should get ur info correct. ive been power lifting for over 4 yrs now. yes low reps and higher weight does mean more mass. but that doesnt mean hes not gonna be flexible. he weighs 140lbs. i was using the work out technique as an example not to make him a bulging pile of muscle but more so to gain size. for you to lose any kind of flexibility you would have to do this for 5 or more years and probably be on some form of juice. proper pre and post workouts will keep you flexible. i was trying to help the kid out so he can handle the bike not the other way around.

Also very true. We arent saying don't lift for strength. A little bit of size is definatley good (for wipe outs too).
Personally, I think a mix of high reps AND lower reps (which is what I do), paired with good cardio. Which will give you strength AND stamina and just generally fitness

Villageidiott23
12-05-2006, 08:55 AM
exactly im not trying to get the boy to go strength crazy. he can prob. ride better then me. im just saying theres not a better feeling in the world then bein able to throw ur quad off ur back when its on top of u.

hetrick_racing9
12-05-2006, 01:40 PM
so i should be doing a mix of high reps less weight and low reps with more weight.. shud i be doing high reps one day and low the other or mix it up all on the same day... also... how do i build my chest muscles..

12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by hetrick_racing9
i know i can handle a 450 ive riden one before.. i just want to be able to have the endurance liek the pro.. and be able to keep at a steady pace out there.. and not let my lap times go down.. and bout the preloud and sucking up .. i was kinda sketchy.. i kno how to preload and suck up.. but its always good to gain knowlegde on how to do something better if there is a trick or something...

thanks a lot guys.. im going to be working hard this winter make sure i am ready for next season.. ill be running a few nats and wpsa races.. so holler at me ill be on johns 450 might have diff graphics by then.. but ull be able to tell its his... thanks a lot guys means a lot.. keep the posts coming this is interesting stuff to read and its helping me out a lot... thanks..

just wondering...what class are you gunna run next season. ill be running a few atva nats and a few wpsa's also

Wills77

stocktires
12-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by hetrick_racing9
so i should be doing a mix of high reps less weight and low reps with more weight.. shud i be doing high reps one day and low the other or mix it up all on the same day... also... how do i build my chest muscles..

Mix it up any way you like, I (sort of) do low reps one day, high the next, then cardio the next.

hetrick_racing9
12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
k thats what i figure i will do .. upper one day.. core next.. cardio ... i found a bery helpful sight all about mx training and arm pump its got pages and pages of what to do and different things.. very helpful..

hetrick_racing9
12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
o and i plan on running 265 b and production b

hartnett18
12-07-2006, 03:42 PM
^ whats the site with all that info?

SRH
12-08-2006, 04:08 PM
wrist curls with 20 pound freeweights, 20-40 min on elliptical 3-4 times a week, sit ups, drop fast food, i practice on a trike 3-4 days a week and on the quad 1 maybe 2 times a week i work in construction as a laborer and some days i come home i dont train as hard as others... been out of training for a couple months now, but noticed a huge diff when i was on regular basis, i think i could actually kick up the pace a ton the last few laps

hetrick_racing9
12-09-2006, 09:23 PM
ye im going to the gym now 2 times a week now.. and workin out at home for the other 3 now.. i ride my bycicles a lot soo that is how i like to work my legs .. and ye in the gym ill use stuff i wudnt be able to use at home with only a bench for brench pressing and stuff and dumbells ... soo i think i shud be pritty fit by then.. im already in really good shape but i want to step it up a notch unfortantly i cant ride the atv 2-3 times a week..soo i plan on riding every weekend during the season.. wen theres no race on that weekend..

400ex124
12-10-2006, 02:00 PM
just some advice that found very hepfull, if u have a near by pool, like ymca or anything, try to get there about once or twice a week, also anything you can do to get ur wrist, and ankles strong... and i would worry about cardiovascular more than actually lifting... i mean still lift (just not hard) but i would do more cardiovascular and fitness exercises than lifting. just a suggestion. but good luck in your upcoming season..
thanks Tyler