PDA

View Full Version : Look at this

Jgoad2
12-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Well my friend and I took apart my rear end last night. The bearings were shot! I just got this bike about 3 months ago and I think those were the org. 7yr old bearings. Anways we got em out on the break side but on the chain side the bearings and the inner ring came out. The inner ring is still in there. How do I get it out? Tried heating it with a torch and prying it out. It looks like the inside of the carrier, outside of the outer ring, is worn down a small amount. But I dont think that outer ring dug into the carrier where the bearing goes. The opposite side is perfect. Sorry for the long post.

Honda#4
12-03-2006, 07:59 PM
When I did my bearing on my bike a friend of mine welded a flat washer to the metal bearing and pounded it out like that. The carrier does'nt look chewed up to me.

wilkin250r
12-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Heat is bad. It will make the ring expand and stick in even tighter.

Welding something to it is a good idea, or get a dremel and grind one area thin enough to break it. You just want to make sure you don't grind all the way through it and damage the carrier.

If you go the dremel route, the bearing is a hardened steel, so you'll likely go through several dremel bits.

Jgoad2
12-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok well if i grind it down and break it will it come out easy, like relive the pressure around the ring?

firefighterjosh
12-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Last time I had to do that I grinded a slit into the bottom of the ring and used a screwdriver and pouned on it. Were the slit was made the ring should bend right there and wala your ring is outta there.

Jgoad2
12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
ok i tired grindin it down, really far down almost to the carrier but still no luck. any more advice?.. and firefighter do u mean just make a flat spot and hammer it till it bends? im just afrade ima break the carrier or something

firefighterjosh
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Hope this helps...

Jgoad2
12-03-2006, 10:26 PM
hey thanks man.. ill try it out in the morning..

The go bears.. chicago i assume? i was born in the suburbs, arlington heights, and we lived there till i was 4 untill movin to WV.. Still a bears fan tho...

firefighterjosh
12-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Jgoad2
hey thanks man.. ill try it out in the morning..

The go bears.. chicago i assume? i was born in the suburbs, arlington heights, and we lived there till i was 4 untill movin to WV.. Still a bears fan tho...

YUP:D Go Ole Chicago Bears. My whole family is huge bears fans. Stupid grossman needs to be benched. I was so mad today. how do you end with a passer rating of 1:huh

Jgoad2
12-03-2006, 10:33 PM
yeah he hasnt been playing very well.. atleast u got to see the game lol.. it wasnt on tv here.. oh well

bwamos
12-04-2006, 06:54 AM
If you haven't tried it yet toss the badboy in the freezer. ;) Should contract both pieces. May be able to get it out without doing surgery.

440exroost1984
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I've always used a punch and hit on it from the other side to knock it out.

Old Head
12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
If you haven't tried it yet toss the badboy in the freezer. ;) Should contract both pieces. May be able to get it out without doing surgery.

if it comes to the freezer thing when you take it out heat the swing arm/carrier to make that expand. the ring should stay cold enough and loosen up.

Jgoad2
12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Wouldnt cooling it then heating it crack it?? ive tried grind it out and hammer it and a little piece of the ring broke off. It almost looks like it grond into the carrier i dunno tho.. half of the ball bearings were missing on that side thats why that outer ring is still in there. Ive also tried to pry it out. Im thinkin about just buying a new carrier, but the thing is i already bought the bearings and opened them so i doubt i could take em back.

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Must have done a number on it lol. I guess if you are going ot buy a new carrier might as well try to get it out and if you mess it up o well.

Why don't you try soaking it in minerial sprits or something overnite and pound on it the next day.

Or try using a dremel and making the ring thin and pond it off.

I do not know what else to try. I am afraid to check the ones on the banshee. They have been in there for 4 years and I have never had the axle off:(

Jgoad2
12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah man it sucks.. and i already got those bearings which were 52 bucks w/ tax... plus im runnin low on money with christmas and college books for next sem.....ill try soaking it.. what kinda of carrier does everyone reccomend?

-Josh- u better be checkin those on the banshee... like i said b4 i think these are the org. bearings on the 400ex which is a 99, and they werent pretty

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Yea I should its a 02 but I have always made sure it clean and stuff. And they don't wiggle at all and they don't even squeak. I don't think it should be too hard. I had a 87 warrior about 5 years ago with original bearings and they just exploded when I took them out.

rooster300ex
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Spray some of that lube that soaks into metal. Then get a long punch and make the tip kinna sharp. Then stick the punch through the oppisite side your tyring to get out. This way your are hitting the race outward. This is what I've done and it worked everytime. Don't get to rough with it.

400exmatt
12-08-2006, 11:11 AM
PB Blaster :)

smr
12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Jgoad2
ive tried grind it out and hammer it and a little piece of the ring broke off. It almost looks like it grond into the carrier i dunno tho..

You are on the rite track here you just stopped to soon. Go to Lowes and git you a carbid bit for your drimmal tool or die grinder and keep going until you cut into the carrier the width of the bearing race. Then you should be able to break it out without any problem.

Jgoad2
12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
hey guys thanks for all the help.. my dad took it to work and they have a mechanic there that got it out for me.. i got the bearings in and im gonna put it all back togther tonight..