PDA

View Full Version : Power characteristics of a stroked engine.

kiesta00
12-03-2006, 03:28 PM
What kind of power can I expect out of a stroked motor as compared to a bigbore motor...say both ported for midrange-top end power.

Keith

deathman53
12-03-2006, 03:54 PM
it depends alot on the porting, pipe, carb, reeds and ignition

wilkin250r
12-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Keep in mind that most of your power characteristics are defined by your porting and pipe, but that doesn't really answer your question, does it?

As a general rule, a stroker will give you more power in the lower RPMs. It will launch hard off the line, but they don't rev out as well. You get a boost overall, sure, but typical gains might be a 6hp peak increase, but a 12HP boost in the mid-range for increased acceleration.

These are just basic guidelines. It's entirely possible to get a stroker to rev out further than stock, but only after spending a lot of money in balance and perfecting the motor to those capabilities, and you also pay a price in decreased life and reliability.

kiesta00
12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Cool...I was looking for a engine with more torque for the dunes so I guess this is just right for me. My pipe and stock porting might be to blame but my bike has always been a slouch in the dunes unless really on it, kind of aggravating. Might change to a trx-5 pipe if I see this drag pipe doesn't complement the stroke/portjob. Most ppl recommend the trx-5 anyway.

wilkin250r
12-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Hmm. Unless you needed a bottom-end rebuild anyways, I would have recommended just getting a good port job. You'd be surprised at the gains, it's not uncommon to see 15HP gains with a good port, and much cheaper than building a complete stroker motor, because you're going to be paying for porting with the stroker anyways.

kiesta00
12-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Well boring/porting was my original plan, but since my crank/rod play is out of spec, and a stroker setup isn't too much more than a stock crank rebiuld, I went the stroker route. I'm just looking to get the most power out of the stock cylinder for now. gotta love that sleeper look :D

I just hope I'm not opening another can of worms with this damned money pit hahaha

novaracr70
12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
just adding compr will give you a great amount of mid range . lets the bike stay in the pipe better . i went from 180 to 220 and it was a new beast

kiesta00
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
well it was at 160 before the build so it should rip at 195