PDA

View Full Version : Where did my CD Drives go?!

ShiftFMX
12-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Ok, My CD drives seemed to have disappeared, lol. Last night I burned a cd and it worked just fine, but now when I need to burn a DVD...they're nowhere to be found...

What Could have happened?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/untitled.jpg

FasstMidnightZ
12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Does the drive icon show up when a cd/dvd is in the drive?

ShiftFMX
12-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Negative

FasstMidnightZ
12-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Ok, does the cd/dvd play when its in the drive ?

You can can also go to Device Manager and see if the drives are there. If they are you can make sure the Drive is enabled.

You might want to try and disconnect the IDE cable from the motherboard and reconnecting it if that didnt work above.

ShiftFMX
12-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by FEAR528
Ok, does the cd/dvd play when its in the drive ?

You can can also go to Device Manager and see if the drives are there. If they are you can make sure the Drive is enabled.

You might want to try and disconnect the IDE cable from the motherboard and reconnecting it if that didnt work above.

No, it does nothing, I'll try that later tonight, I replaced my hard drive the other day so I could have knocked something loose, and it just...fell out...who knows.

yamadjs08
12-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah my IDE cable always pops off of the drive itself, Ill bet thats what it is. Mine doesnt seem to have a very tight fit, and since you put in a new harddrive Im sure something got unplugged on accident.

DeerNuts
12-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Ok, My CD drives seemed to have disappeared, lol. Last night I burned a cd and it worked just fine, but now when I need to burn a DVD...they're nowhere to be found...

What Could have happened?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/untitled.jpg

Not to highjack, but could I ask a question about something else?

On the screenshot, it shows you have 2 hard disks, C and D. I have 2 also, labeled C and E. The one for E is only 3.15G, and is now totally filled up, to the point where I can't even save a picture because the disk is too full. It will also not allow me to save anything in C. I had to reinstall the operating system after the computer crashed a few months ago.

I never noticed there were 2 hard disks before; I thought it was just C (forgive me, I am pretty computer illiterate). My question is: Is there anyway to eliminate "E" or to simply shift what is in E to C? The files in E seem only to be duplicates of what is already in C and seems to have no real purpose. I hope this isn't too confusing, and sorry for changing the subject, but if someone is able to make some sense of this and help me out, I'd appreciate it.

ShiftFMX
12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
Not to highjack, but could I ask a question about something else?

On the screenshot, it shows you have 2 hard disks, C and D. I have 2 also, labeled C and E. The one for E is only 3.15G, and is now totally filled up, to the point where I can't even save a picture because the disk is too full. It will also not allow me to save anything in C. I had to reinstall the operating system after the computer crashed a few months ago.

I never noticed there were 2 hard disks before; I thought it was just C (forgive me, I am pretty computer illiterate). My question is: Is there anyway to eliminate "E" or to simply shift what is in E to C? The files in E seem only to be duplicates of what is already in C and seems to have no real purpose. I hope this isn't too confusing, and sorry for changing the subject, but if someone is able to make some sense of this and help me out, I'd appreciate it.

I dont know about that, But heres what my device Manager is saying now...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/untitled-1.jpg

250exen
12-03-2006, 08:12 PM
i dont wanna be stupid, but you did restart your computer.... right?

My other computer does that every now and again when its been on for a few days.... usually a restart gets everything back up and running...

btw, where did you get that xp skin? its pretty sweet

Ralph
12-03-2006, 10:01 PM
As far as the question for C: and E: drives. Alot of new computers come with either 2 drives. or 2 partitions on 1 drive using one for users files and one for backups.

Just dont use the small one

yamadjs08
12-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
I dont know about that, But heres what my device Manager is saying now...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/untitled-1.jpg
Well if those are there than the IDE cable is probably plugged in. Try rolling back the drivers and if that doesnt work try to update them...

ShiftFMX
12-04-2006, 07:26 AM
I found an easy solution:

I restored my computer to about 3 days ago, and they work perfect now... :p

DeerNuts
12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
As far as the question for C: and E: drives. Alot of new computers come with either 2 drives. or 2 partitions on 1 drive using one for users files and one for backups.

Just dont use the small one

I've tried doing that, but the problem is when I specify for something to be put in C:, it will not allow it; or if it does, it does not download properly. Why would this be, because I understand what you're saying, and it seems this drive is pointless since it is so small?